Ultimate Sheep Rifle Build

Yeah I didn't build the RUM with that intent. I didn't wanna build it too light and it not be pleasing to shoot. My Rifleman stock is not Edge fill. I think that stock is one of THE best stocks out there for a right handed shooter.

Thank you! I built this one too but it's a little too much for a sheep rifle I think. Some would argue it isn't though. It weighs right at 10 lbs scoped. It's a .300 RUM built on a Surgeon action with a Brux #5 and McMillan Rifleman stock that they do for Hill Country Rifles...
Never seen that McM stock before but really dig that profile! Another gorgeous rifle.

I am almost done with my perfect mountain rifle. Should do excellent on most everything in the west and up to Alaska minus the big bears.

7mm Blaser Magnum
195 berger EOL bullets
Norma brass
Proof SENDERO barrel
WTO MK-2 brake
Defiance deviant hunter action LH
Manners eh-1 with mini chassis
Curtis custom magazine
Hawkins rings with built in level
Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44 TMOA

Total weight 8.6 lbs

It's almost done so I will have to let you know how it all works out.

Speaking of Sheep Rifles here is a couple pictures of our 2018 Wild Sheep Society of British Columbia donation rifle, its donated in the memory of a good friend and the founder of "Sheep Hunting" on Facebook Dave "Big Boar" Marsh, it will be raffled off at the Kamloops,British Columbia Convention to support the conservation of wild sheep in BC.

It was built by Gunsmith Gary Flach on a Kimber Montana 84M 6.5 Creedmoor, action trued, squared and slabbed, bolt handle lightened and blended, Pewter Gunkote on the action and barrel, 21" SS #1 contour Benchmark Barrel, 1-8 twist, a mild comb was added to the stock and a cool paint job, Talley lightweights and leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS scope top it off.
It weighs 6lbs scoped.

Speaking of Sheep Rifles here is a couple pictures of our 2018 Wild Sheep Society of British Columbia donation rifle, its donated in the memory of a good friend and the founder of "Sheep Hunting" on Facebook Dave "Big Boar" Marsh, it will be raffled off at the Kamloops,British Columbia Convention to support the conservation of wild sheep in BC.

It was built by Gunsmith Gary Flach on a Kimber Montana 84M 6.5 Creedmoor, action trued, squared and slabbed, bolt handle lightened and blended, Pewter Gunkote on the action and barrel, 21" SS #1 contour Benchmark Barrel, 1-8 twist, a mild comb was added to the stock and a cool paint job, Talley lightweights and leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS scope top it off.
It weighs 6lbs scoped.

Gorgeous rifle for a good cause ! Your buddy would be proud.

It weighs 6lbs scoped.

Beautiful rifle

Thank you to Wild Sheep Foundation!!! I won this exact package below at the convention in Reno in the new Life Member drawing!!!

Any load advice to get started? For some reason the 127 LRX has my attention for this gun. Thoughts?

6FD39FAA-48BA-49CF-9DB3-5C3AB21B471B.jpeg

Thank you to Wild Sheep Foundation!!! I won this exact package below at the convention in Reno in the new Life Member drawing!!!

Any load advice to get started? For some reason the 127 LRX has my attention for this gun. Thoughts?

View attachment 90544

Barnes bullets? I would never even consider them! With the package you are descending...130-140gr bergers will perform the best! Buy a few boxes and you won't be disappointed!

I have had great accuracy with factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X and the 120gr ELD-M in my Kimber Montana 6.5CM
Thank you - I have heard so many bad things about the accuracy from the Kimbers but then there are some that love them. Here is what I plan to do before I even shoot it - let me know your thoughts.

1. Re crown muzzle concentric to bore.

2. Lap barrel.

3. Adjust trigger down to 2.5.

4. Bed the stock.

5. Check the front action screw to make sure it isn't too long. Cut if needed.

6. Check front scope base screw to make sure it isn't too long. Cut if needed.

7. Lap the oem Talley scope rings.

Let me know what I am missing if you see anything.

Based on at least 2 sheep hunts a year for 30+ years from Alaska to Texas and Washington to Asia my parameters are an all up weight (rifle + scope + bases + rings + sling + full mag + 5 rounds on the stock) of 7 to 7.5 lb. - there are many ways to get there. I prefer blind mags, barrel 22" to 24", ballistic turrets, max 9-10 power continental US 15-20 Asia. Of course build for max adverse weather conditions. After having a Night Force scope fog on me I now carry a second identical scope as backup (can move ballistic turret from scope #1 to scope #2 as needed). A second scope is much cheaper than returning to hunt the same animal again if base scope goes t**ts up - don't ask me how I know. Good luck but be forewarned that sheep fever is incurable.

Based on at least 2 sheep hunts a year for 30+ years from Alaska to Texas and Washington to Asia my parameters are an all up weight (rifle + scope + bases + rings + sling + full mag + 5 rounds on the stock) of 7 to 7.5 lb. - there are many ways to get there. I prefer blind mags, barrel 22" to 24", ballistic turrets, max 9-10 power continental US 15-20 Asia. Of course build for max adverse weather conditions. After having a Night Force scope fog on me I now carry a second identical scope as backup (can move ballistic turret from scope #1 to scope #2 as needed). A second scope is much cheaper than returning to hunt the same animal again if base scope goes t**ts up - don't ask me how I know. Good luck but be forewarned that sheep fever is incurable.
You have some serious sheep experience. How many have you killed ? What do you have left?