Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

I always get entertained at guys that say get into better shape—my buddy Brian is probably in better shape than 95% of all the people on this forum…he struggled every day at high altitudes. I struggle for the first day no matter what—Legs are stiff—tired, raw—then I get better every day I'm out. Ounces count…you can work out a bunch—but the min u put it on your back it counts.if you can save it—-do it—if it's off your rear end or your rifle—do it—take what works.

I have had sheep kills as close as 90 yards—and as far as 685…I like them as close as I can…

Last edited:
Yes and I believe most people get out for shorter duration.Go pound elevation for a week or more at a time.I was in more open country this year,last week of season.Had my Atlas on much of the time,had a nice knot in my neck from the extra weight,carried extra water too for long days

I'd like to know from some of you guys who've hunted sheep a lot. What's an 'average' range? I mean I know that varies with equipment and guide, etc but is it inside 500 yds typically? You have to excuse me I've never hunted any kind of goat/sheep.

Absolutely sub 500 by and large, there are a few exceptions but darn few (unless people just choose to shoot longer...)

I'd like to know from some of you guys who've hunted sheep a lot. What's an 'average' range? I mean I know that varies with equipment and guide, etc but is it inside 500 yds typically? You have to excuse me I've never hunted any kind of goat/sheep.
There are definitely long shot opportunities, but I've found that if you can get above a sheep, it's usually pretty easy to get within 200 yards or so.

I'm currently lightening up my left handed model 70 7mm WSM for a Sheep rifle . Got a brown pounder on order but have to modify it because he Only makes them inletted for right handed actions. From what I hear it's a simple task , I guess I'm going to give it a shot lol. Too expensive of a stock to mess up !

I think one of the new Howa 6ARC Mini Action would work sweet for that 200yd shot. The mini only weighs 4.1lbs.

682146853582_6196904e3a28e.jpg

I'm 68, and have gotten smarter in my old age. Why carrry my 9 lb 7mm Mag, when my 6.5 lb. rifle will do everything just as well?

I have a Browning Mountain Ti in 7mm WSM at 5.5 lbs. A short action saves weight. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with a 270 WSM because brass is more available, and now they make much better bullets for that caliber. You could go with a 6.5 WSM I load it down a bit to be more comfortable. I used a 2x7 -33 scope (9oz). At 400 yards, I wished for a bigger scope, but at 340, it was fine. I use a homemade Safari sling. Absolutely the most comfortable to carry a rifle, and still have it ready to use. On a light rifle, a 1-1/2" thin nylon strap is very comfortable. I got rid of the Uncle MIke's sling swivels, and used boot laces. Silent and light. I did upgrade to a 3x9 -40 Leupold. I'm a Leupold fan. Light and dependable. I hunt aoudad in some really steep country. It is a joy to carry. I load mine down a bit, but even factory loads are less punishing than my muzzleloader shooting 400 gr. bullets.

I'm currently lightening up my left handed model 70 7mm WSM for a Sheep rifle . Got a brown pounder on order but have to modify it because he Only makes them inletted for right handed actions. From what I hear it's a simple task , I guess I'm going to give it a shot lol. Too ex
Did you order that stock from Mark? The Kevlar pounder are nice!!

Yes I did !
I have three of his rifles a 284 win, a 300 wsm and a 338 win. and have a stock on another 284. All his work has been superb. My first 284 needs another barrel. The factory orig was good for 5000+ rounds and the Shillen Mark installed was good for about 4500. Now it is approaching 1 MOA and I believe it needs a third!!! The knowledge Chet and Mark have shared with me over the past 35+ years is priceless.

I have three of his rifles a 284 win, a 300 wsm and a 338 win. and have a stock on another 284. All his work has been superb. My first 284 needs another barrel. The factory orig was good for 5000+ rounds and the Shillen Mark installed was good for about 4500. Now it is approaching 1 MOA and I believe it needs a third!!! The knowledge Chet and Mark have shared with me over the past 35+ years is priceless.
Talked with mark extensively on the phone about my project , he's a top notch guy that is extremely knowledgeable. He helped me a lot with this project ! I also know they build amazing rifles , would love to get one someday !

Talked with mark extensively on the phone about my project , he's a top notch guy that is extremely knowledgeable. He helped me a lot with this project ! I also know they build amazing rifles , would love to get one someday !
About 15 years ago, I wanted an ultralight as I was getting older and didn't want to lug a 8 1/2 lb rifle around so I bought a remington 700 TI in 7-08. Around 6 1/4 lbs with leupold 2 1/2X8 and Talley rings. Never could get groups under 1 1/4 MOA so I sent it away for tuning and then a new barrel. Mark did not want to work on a Ti Action so it went to someone else. Still nothing under 1 1/4 MOA. Called Mark and he asked if I realized how difficult it is to shoot a gun that light accurately on the bench and worse yet in the field and I replied no. So I now know my lightest accurate gun for ME is about 7 1/2 lbs which is still about two lbs lighter than what some of my friends carry.

About 15 years ago, I wanted an ultralight as I was getting older and didn't want to lug a 8 1/2 lb rifle around so I bought a remington 700 TI in 7-08. Around 6 1/4 lbs with leupold 2 1/2X8 and Talley rings. Never could get groups under 1 1/4 MOA so I sent it away for tuning and then a new barrel. Mark did not want to work on a Ti Action so it went to someone else. Still nothing under 1 1/4 MOA. Called Mark and he asked if I realized how difficult it is to shoot a gun that light accurately on the bench and worse yet in the field and I replied no. So I now know my lightest accurate gun for ME is about 7 1/2 lbs which is still about two lbs lighter than what some of my friends carry.
I went through a very similar experience having one built about 18 years ago Components were good. Gunsmith worked very hard to do his best, but with hand loads about the best I ever got was 3/4moa And it was rude to shoot sans muzzle brake

I have since accepted a bit more weight and a gun that's a tac driver