Ultimate Sheep Rifle Build

30 Hammer

Looking to build my next Rifle - this one will be focused on Sheep -
I've never hunted them but will be and want to build the ultimate rifle platform that can be passed down someday.

I have some questions for those who have a lot of Sheep experience:

1. Cartridge? I'd prefer a short action for weight but am open to all.

2. Barrel length.

3. Preferred barrel material.

4. Preferred barrel contour.

5. Muzzle brake yes or no?

6. Front pic rail and bi pod or no?

7. Action material.

8. Magazine type? (BDL,Detach box)

9. Scope power range?

10. Dial turret or reticle?

11. Best all around Sheep bullet?

Any special notes?

The action and stock will be Axial Precison.
I have my choice of action material (Ti or Stainless) and the stock is carbon fiber and is a traditional mountain stock design.

I figure it has to be light , accurate to 800, enough for a brown bear encounter. Short enough to maneuver, weather proof and as little junk hanging off as possible so it comes in and out of a pack, horse scabbard or airplane easily.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

I was about to post a question in the gun forum asking about barrel length is certain calibers. I don't have a lot of sheep experience but I was just on a pretty lengthy hunt. My build idea is something with a 22" barrel. .308 caliber. I just don't know if you can gain enough with a 300 shorty to justify it over a 30-06. If you want a short action the shorty wins hands down. I would recommend the proof sendero light. They are not the lightest barrel but the are quite light and they seem like really good barrels. I also think a .308 is better than smaller calibers because a lot of sheep hunts are combo hunts for grizz or 'bou. I also believe that shots over 5-600 are not necessary because any sheep you hunt in grizz country should be fairly easy to approach to 500 or less. I also wouldn't get too shook up over every little ounce of a rifle. It's going to be hard to shoot over 500yds with a rifle under 6.5#. Yes it can be done. But not easily. Don't worry about a bipod. Learn to shoot off your pack and from compromised positions. It is much harder to draw a tag or get to where the sheep are than it is to actually kill one.

To finish the questions:

I would prefer an ADL style or hidden box mag. I loaded my gun on day 1 and never cycled the bolt until day 9. The mag is just more junk in the way.

I used a 3-10 Nightforce. Lightweight and still Nightforce quality and ruggedness.

Obviously a dial turret

And last: me and my friends are finding very good results with the eld-x bullets. On every animal. At every distance. I'm a little unsatisfied with Berger elite hunters but don't have a lot of on game experience with them.

Here is what I have tentatively laid out. Input is welcomed!

Titanium Axial Precison action
.300wsm
20" Feozen Fiber or Carbon 6 carbon barrel ,5R
Titanium 1" 3 port muzzle brake
Carbon fiber stock
Blind sling swivels in side not bottom.
front pic rail
Hawkins billet bottom bdl metal
Trigger tech trigger
Hawkins rings
Titanium pillars for bedding
Titanium action screws
3/8" limbsaver
Z5 3.5-18x44 Swarovski

Will be chambered for the 190 Berger VLD. At 20" I can get 2850 FPS @ the muzzle with a 190 grain bullet. At 800 yards it's still almost 1800 FPS and 1350 ft lbs of energy and very wind stable.

I can got a dial turret on the scope as well as the BRH reticle. This seems to provide me with a very simple and versatile solution.

Here is what I have tentatively laid out. Input is welcomed!

Titanium Axial Precison action
.300wsm
20" Feozen Fiber or Carbon 6 carbon barrel ,5R
Titanium 1" 3 port muzzle brake
Carbon fiber stock
Blind sling swivels in side not bottom.
front pic rail
Hawkins billet bottom bdl metal
Trigger tech trigger
Hawkins rings
Titanium pillars for bedding
Titanium action screws
3/8" limbsaver
Z5 3.5-18x44 Swarovski

Will be chambered for the 190 Berger VLD. At 20" I can get 2850 FPS @ the muzzle with a 190 grain bullet. At 800 yards it's still almost 1800 FPS and 1350 ft lbs of energy and very wind stable.

I can got a dial turret on the scope as well as the BRH reticle. This seems to provide me with a very simple and versatile solution.

That seems like a solid combo to me. I'd be interested to know how you can get 2850 out of a 20" barrel with 190 grain bullet. Seems like you might have some experience, or research on this? Not questioning whether you can do it or not. It's just that I have a similar build going right now for an elk rifle. Defiance Ultralight Action with Proof 20" barrel in 300 WSM and I was hoping for 2750 with 200 grain AB or ELDx bullets, but was worried I might not be able to get to that velocity.

Like the scope & cartridge. But not the bullet.

Who manufactures the titanium muzzle brake?
Axial will by special order.
I would say short barrel on a sheep rifle doesn't make as much sense to me.
Suggestions:
24" barrel
7 saum shooting 175 bergers
I like my manners eh1 stock. It would finish around 27 oz in your setup.

I have an EH1 on a 28 and it's an awesome stock. I am looking at Axials new stock that they are building it's more of a traditional mountain stock or an EH4 - MSSCl. I'm a big Manners fan. Axial is doing a lot with their new stock too.

Most of the sheep rifles I build are 7 SAUM shooting 180 Berger, 300 WSM shooting 215 and a lot of 270 WSM shooting 165 matrix or 170 Berger, then sprinkle in a few 6.5's all shooting 140 Berger's and a couple 300 wins.
Sheep rifles are fun to build!

What COAL are you with the .300WSM and 215? That looks like such an interesting combo.

I am in the process of kinda the same type of build. If I ever draw a sheep tag it will be a sheep rifle. Otherwise it will have to settle for deer and elk along with whatever else I can hunt here in MT.

I am using a Win 70 donor action. I have settled on doing a 280ai with a 24" Proof Sendero light. This I think is the most bang for the buck without any fuss for the standard long action. Will do an 8" twist so that I can run our 177g Hammer Hunter if I choose to. Although I am intending to run our 143g Hammer Hunter for everything out to 700y. I am pretty sure that I will be using the McMillan Game Warden carbon stock. I will be doing a blind mag. Just don't see a good reason to spend the extra money to change from the original bottom metal. Optics to be determined but will stay with something with objective less than 50mm. Looking for this rig to come in about 8 lbs finished.

Steve