Ultimate Sheep Rifle Build

Mine is built on a SA 700 blue printed with a fluted bolt and aluminum cocking piece chambered for the 7 SAUM. Stock is the HS precision 28 ounces, this stock has the AL. v block bedding system I also use a v block in all my prone rifles. I wouldn't scrimp on the barrel length or contour, I used a #5 contour 24" long.
Off the bench this gun will easily hold the X ring on the NRA 600 yd. target, this is for 5 shot strings.
Steve Bair

Last edited:
Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag built on a Borden Timberline action with Hart #4.5 contour fluted barrel 26" barrel with Vais brake, McMillan Rem Hunter BDL stock with EDGE fill and Jewell trigger. I topped it with a ZEISS Conquest HD5 3-15x50 with RapidZ 800 reticle. Its pushing the 168 gr Berger VLD's at 3,100 fps and weighs right at 8.5# scoped.

Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag built on a Borden Timberline action with Hart #4.5 contour fluted barrel 26" barrel with Vais brake, McMillan Rem Hunter BDL stock with EDGE fill and Jewell trigger. I topped it with a ZEISS Conquest HD5 3-15x50 with RapidZ 800 reticle. Its pushing the 168 gr Berger VLD's at 3,100 fps and weighs right at 8.5# scoped.
I need to see a picture. This sounds perfect.

I've been thinking about doing something similar, but not specifically for sheep. Just building an all around perfect hunting rifle that is light enough to enjoy carrying and accurate enough to make long shots, and powerful enough to kill game at those distances.
Here is what I would choose, take it for what it's worth.
I'd go with the Titanium action because it is a superior material and is marginally lighter. Second I'd go with a Proof Research light sendero contour barrel 26" overall length including a muzzle brake. Probably a Holland gen 2 radial baffle brake or one like it. I would use a short action with Wyatt's extended internal box magazine and a PTG aluminum floor plate. And the cartridge would be the 6.5 Gap4s shooting a 147 ELD-M at around 3100fps. That combo is still carrying over 1,000ft lbs of energy past 1,100yds! And that's at only 3,000 ft even better in high elevations of sheep country.

Last edited:
Ive done 2 now and killed 2 sheep with this one: my first build-- circa 2006
stiller TAC 300 action 6.5-284 norma
25in Brux #1.5 countour
5-20 Huskamaw
Talley lightweights
Basner ovis stock--a little over a 1lb--dont think mark does this stock anymore.
The complete rifle weights 8.4 lbs loaded with 3 rounds, scope,sling and cheek weld bag.

Skeleltonized Remington 700 action--and trued--what ever that means

PTG bottom metal with 3 round detach mag

Bell and Carlson medalist with fore-end hogged out to accept sendero contour barrel
24 in Hardy carbon fiber barrel sendero light contour...weighs less than my #2 contour blank setting at my feet. Caliber 6.5 PRC

Bushnell LRHS 3x12 mil/mil DNZ one piece mount.

APR in Ft Worth is putting together. I had the action done by Ray Williams as he is a master at doing this.

Don't know the finished weight as I have not got it yet but should be a solid pound lighter than my above rifle...looking at 7.7 loaded and scoped

Last edited:
My apologies to the OP as I just noticed at the bottom of your original post you were going to use an Axial Precision Action and CF stock......ill leave my post up anyway

If your on a budget best route for an Ultra Lightweight Sheep hunting rifle is to grab an used Kimber Montana 84M, they have an excellent adjustable trigger, a lightweight kevlar-CF stock which is easy to modify, and a very lightweight CRF action,

Adjust trigger to 2.5lbs,True&Square action,rebarrel it with a Benchmark #1 contour SS 20"-22" barrel, 6.5CM, 7mm-08,6.5-284 any of those calibers are fine for sheep, Gunkote in your fav colour and paint stock, add Talleys and a VX3i 3.5-10x40 CDS, poof your good to go at a reasonable cost.

Heres a Cpl picture of Kimber's we did just that to.

This is my son Brad's Kimber Montana 7mm-08 with a Benchmark #1 SS Barrel 22",Pewter Gunkote,and stock painted green with fine black splatter, Talleys and a Swarovski 4-12x50 BT Plex

Next up is a Kimber Montana 84M action, I had built and donated to the WSS of BC last year, trued squared and slabbed action, Benchmark #1 SS 20" barrel chambered in 7mm-08, cheekpiece added to the stock, it weighed 6lbs scoped, this rifle shot one hole groups with Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr ABs.

here's my factory stock Kimber Montana 6.5CM with a facelift, it shoots well enough I haven't had to rebarrel it yet, High comb and cheekpiece on the stock, gunkote and painted.

Last edited:
My thoughts for a sheep hunting rifle is you want simple, functional, lightweight, all stainless and synthetic, I did a 12 day fly-in backpack hunt in Northern BC last year for Stones and we had thunder showers and fog about 50% of the time.....low maintenance is key !

1-6.5-284 or 280AI
2,3,4-my go to barrels 22-24" SS Benchmark #1 Contour
5-depends on caliber and recoil, shoot it first if recoil is an issue add a brake
6-No bipod for me just extra weight you don't need
7-either Ti or SS, can't go wrong with either, Ti is just a little lighter
8- blind magazine is best for sheep hunting, but of your choices floor plate, no chance of losing/forgetting a clip
9,10-out to 800 yards minimum power for me would be 14(old eyes) this is always a dilemma for me as I like light scopes but your very limited in choices, Leupold or Swarovski 12.5-14.5 oz, if not concerned with weight go nightforce..toughest scope on the planet
11- best sheep bullet....sheep are easy to kill but if your shooting long range Bergers,ELD-X or Accubonds, of course this depends entirely on what your rifle will shoot accurately.

you mentioned Brown Bears ? 300 WSM and 180 TTSX !

Last edited:

Attachments

• FCFBF043-6DD8-442E-84F9-884EAB6FC508.jpeg
    FCFBF043-6DD8-442E-84F9-884EAB6FC508.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 436
Thank you! I built this one too but it's a little too much for a sheep rifle I think. Some would argue it isn't though. It weighs right at 10 lbs scoped. It's a .300 RUM built on a Surgeon action with a Brux #5 and McMillan Rifleman stock that they do for Hill Country Rifles...

Attachments

• ED907404-F0B5-4C05-9BA2-9DD8B038A83C.jpeg
    ED907404-F0B5-4C05-9BA2-9DD8B038A83C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 332
It's a .300 RUM built on a Surgeon action with a Brux #5 and McMillan Rifleman stock that they do for Hill Country Rifles...
I really enjoy that stock. I have the "edge" version on my sheep hunting rifle.
My rifle is lighter. Don't know if your stock is "edge" or not. One way to cut some weight. Also mine has a lighter Krieger #4 barrel @ 26", with mini-mag Muscle brake. 30/375 S.I. In a BAT HR action.
Oh yeah, my scope weighs 16oz. So there's the diff in weights.

Recent Posts