Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

That's a pretty slick design. Would probably have to epoxy the box in and would likely not save weight at that point. DBMs end up being easier in the long run. 16oz is crazy light for a stock. Definitely looks like they took every ounce off that they could get away with. My UL rifle will probably be a 7mm something possibly a SAUM, maybe a 7-08 AI or something like it.
if i were to build another i think id go to a 20" 7 sherman short.

I built a 20" 7 Max, and it is running a 175 eld-x @2900 with an upper end load and N565, just for reference.
For reference, if you prefer not to wildcat, a 7wsm will do this as well in a short action (SAAMI chamber) at 2.98" OAL (mine is a savage) @20". I am using RL26 and it is near pressure limits.

Maybe to be more clear I have a 23" pushing 3000fps and I'm confident if I cut off 3" (which I'm building in a new build) it would be north of 2900fps with 175s and RL26.

Last edited:
For reference, if you prefer not to wildcat, a 7wsm will do this as well in a short action (SAAMI chamber) at 2.98" OAL (mine is a savage) @20". I am using RL26 and it is near pressure limits.

Maybe to be more clear I have a 23" pushing 3000fps and I'm confident if I cut off 3" (which I'm building in a new build) it would be north of 2900fps with 175s and RL26.
A WSM would be a good choice as well, they should be very similar with similar powders. The new 7 max brass is pre formed, so no fireforming, and factory 7 saum ammo generally shoots well enough while forming if your in a pinch, however the dies for the max are more expensive if you prefer to just buy a basic RCBS FL die set. They are on par with other bushing die sets for the WSM. And I hear that ADG is gonna start making WSM brass as well, so really no bad choice. My OAL with the 175 is under 3.1", so a bainey box in a short action would run them.

In an ultralight gun though, a 6.5 flavor would probably be a little more consistent for long range shooting. Or you could be super cool and do a 270 WSM/SS/MAX type, split the difference. A 140 badlands super bulldozer II or 150 Accubond LR type bullet could be a good choice that would give great long range potential while still being decent on consistent recoil management.

It's pretty awesome we have so many good options these days.