This is whats wrong with hunting today

"Recoil sensitive?" My uncle was a WWII veteran and Marine. When I asked him what rifle I should get, he said "The one that won 2 World Wars." The first time I shot an ought 6, I was told "It's gonna kick like a mule, be ready." If I showed the least that it hurt, which it didn't, I would've been disowned. I've seen a great deal of people with Kewpie doll hairstyles calling themselves "Men" that say "If you want to shoot, but don't like the recoil, try this gun..."
I say if you can't take the recoil, buy your meat from the grocery store.

These threads are great!

1719719617525.jpeg

Happiness is felt recoil and the smell of burnt gunpowder
You sound like you are a waterfowler at heart? You just need to finish the sentence with 'followed by the sound of good dog hard at work ' and you described heaven to a T my friend.

You sound like you are a waterfowler at heart? You just need to finish the sentence with 'followed by the sound of good dog hard at work ' and you described heaven to a T my friend.
If we still experienced decent migrations, there would be many more Fowler’s down this way.
Even in a frigid blast last year that actually lasted a while, we didn’t get 10% of the birds that would have arrived 30-40 years ago when numbers were supposedly so low…like many other things, the good ole days are GONE for that too.

Amazing how the good old days never seemed like a big deal or real until you get old enough to have good old days lol

Today not only are the sheepies recoil sensitive, but work sensitive, moral sensitive, finally common sense sensitive. So far gone I doubt they even can see the right side of things.

From time to time a specific bullet, not even a specific to product line of bullets but one specific bullet of a given caliber and weight gains a cult following status.

That 85 grain hp Sierra gameking is one of those bullets! I’ve never used it, but I can’t tell ya how many times I’ve heard people swear by that exact pill in a .243 Winchester as killing way above its pay grade.

The Sierra 85 gr. HPBT was labeled Varmint when I first started using it back in the late 70's.....Sierra changed the name to GameKing after guys like me kept telling them it was to stiff of a bullet for varmints and worked great on deer....
Myself at first just looking at the bullet I didn't think it would be good for deer....but figured I would try it I like experimenting ....it worked great a lot better than I thought it would and it ended up being used on several 1000 deer control shooting....
I have shot out the barrel on my pre-64 Winchester 70 with the bullets....it's getting a new barrel....I have a new Winchester 70 taking its place that I threaded the barrel for a suppresser....

It’s sad that some grown men aren’t able to shoot full size cartridges, if you have injuries to the head, neck, or shoulders is one thing and very understandable, if I don’t have those issues then shooting a large cartridge that will send a bullet fast enough and with enough energy down range as far as I can get it accurately is the name of the game.
Two of my grandchildren, one 15 (grandson) 13 (granddaughter) started hunting at the age of 8 with a ar15, for the past two years they both hunt with a 7RM and the past two seasons they have filled their tags with one shot drt kills.
One daughter has hunted with a 270 since she was 16, another started with a 270 and on her high school graduation she wanted a 7RM and has hunted with that for the past 16 years.
My wife who had when we met had never shot anything but a 22 started hunting with a 270 and after shooting my new 7stw last year is having her own 7stw built right now.

Learning to shoot large rifle and large rifle magnum calibers is mind over matter.

The Sierra 85 gr. HPBT was labeled Varmint when I first started using it back in the late 70's.....Sierra changed the name to GameKing after guys like me kept telling them it was to stiff of a bullet for varmints and worked great on deer....
Myself at first just looking at the bullet I didn't think it would be good for deer....but figured I would try it I like experimenting ....it worked great a lot better than I thought it would and it ended up being used on several 1000 deer control shooting....
I have shot out the barrel on my pre-64 Winchester 70 with the bullets....it's getting a new barrel....I have a new Winchester 70 taking its place that I threaded the barrel for a suppresser....

Similarly, we shot many of the old Speer 85 BTSP that were designed for deer in the old 1/12" tw 244 Rems. Those bullets worked very well in our 243's and 6mm's, but then, so did a few others. The old .243 Partitions killed countless deer for our family, and many fell to the old Speer and Sierra 100gr's. Most fell in their tracks with only a handful traveling a few yards.

While often in the South, we hunted and hunt with all types of various calibers, cartridges, loads and bullets, with very long hunting seasons and very liberal deer limits, sometimes one per day, we had the luxury of trying all types of cartridge/bullet combos on game, including handguns. And that didn't include any cull permits for the farms.

Always being an experimenter, back around 1980, I began playing even with 22 cals for deer, and soon learned proper bullets and good shot placement made many 22 cals very effective on deer and then hogs. Once the heavies, VLD's, bonded, and monos came out, it became a very different world.

Below are a few of the various 22 cal bullets we've used in various cartridges to take deer sized game from short to mid range (NRA standard). Bullets used to kill deer but "not shown", 55gr Hornady SP (ceased using in early 1980's), 62 Barnes, Nosler 70gr AB, Speer 70 SP, Berger 80gr, and the Hornady 88 ELDM. ( I grew tired of digging through the deep shelves of bullets)

1719764061500.jpeg

L-R: 62 TBBC, 62 Fusion, 63 SMP, 65 GK, 70 Berger, 75 Hornady, 75 Berger, 75 ELD, 80 ELD, 75 AMAX and 80 AMAX - ( Not shown are the 55 Hornady, 62 Barnes, 70 NAB, 70 Speer, 80 Berger and 88 ELD)

Last edited:
Similarly, we shot many of the old Speer 85 BTSP that were designed for deer in the old 1/12" tw 244 Rems. Those bullets worked very well in our 243's and 6mm's, but then, so did a few others. The old .243 Partitions killed countless deer for our family, and many fell to the old Speer and Sierra 100gr's. Most fell in their tracks with only a handful traveling a few yards.

While often in the South, we hunted and hunt with all types of various calibers, cartridges, loads and bullets, with very long hunting seasons and very liberal deer limits, sometimes one per day, we had the luxury of trying all types of cartridge/bullet combos on game, including handguns. And that didn't include any cull permits for the farms.

Always being an experimenter, back around 1980, I began playing even with 22 cals for deer, and soon learned proper bullets and good shot placement made many 22 cals very effective on deer and then hogs. Once the heavies, VLD's, bonded, and monos came out, it became a very different world.

Below are a few of the various 22 cal bullets we've used in various cartridges to take deer sized game from short to mid range (NRA standard). Bullets used to kill deer but "not shown", 55gr Hornady SP (ceased using in early 1980's), 62 Barnes, Nosler 70gr AB, Speer 70 SP, Berger 80gr, and the Hornady 88 ELDM. ( I grew tired of digging through the deep shelves of bullets)

View attachment 582663
L-R: 62 TBBC, 62 Fusion, 63 SMP, 65 GK, 70 Berger, 75 Hornady, 75 Berger, 75 ELD, 80 ELD, 75 AMAX and 80 AMAX - ( Not shown are the 55 Hornady, 62 Barnes, 70 NAB, 70 Speer, 80 Berger and 88 ELD)
That TBBC is a cool looking bullet. I have used a bunch of the Speer simi spritzer before--they worked great

That TBBC is a cool looking bullet. I have used a bunch of the Speer simi spritzer before--they worked great
The TBBC is one of my favorites for the shorter range shots in 223's and 22/250's. The expanding lead front with the solid copper back half functions like a Partition. Every so often, one can still find them from demilled Federal FBI ammo along with the more recent 64gr TBBC. Loaded 223/5.56 ammo can also be found.

Those Speer 70gr semi-spitzers have performed very well through the decades, and even with all the newer bullets today, I still keep a couple of boxes of them around.

Last edited: