How Many Are True "LR" Shooters?

I pulled off some pretty impressive shots last winter on steel as far as 2000 yards and I think my farthest big game was a whitetail to 500 ish yards and a yote at 780 yards.
I think my limit for my self Is 600 yards maybe 700 yards on big game because I believe the animal deserves as quick of a death as possible and a lot can go wrong past 600 yards. The older I get the more I respect the animals I hunt and that feed my family.

Back in 2000/01, I started true LR @ 600 metres and that grew into 800, 900 & 1000 metres within the first season of F-class.
As to other disciplines I shot before that, the maximums was 500 metres, but outside the range work, a few of us were shooting steel at quite a few distances to 1600 metres.
Until 2022, I was shooting 2k comp, with either 33 cal or 37 cal and my true passion was at that distance.
808 metres is my longest shot taken on game, it would be beyond that, but I didn’t take those shots due to wind. We tested several ABLR bullets to 1300 metres on cow carcasses, which was an extremely huge learning curve as bullets do weird things at those ranges.

Cheers.

We shoot out to 1200 at my ranch, but most of our work is 300-700 yards.
We just hosted our first PRS style “Hunters match” with a veterans organization that included a day of training, trueing ballistics, and gathering DOPE. The next day positional shooting competition from 300-650.
It was awesome to get off the bench where we used to brag about hitting steel at 1200 yards, and transition to figuring out why we missed at 450 shooting from a standing position!

That said - I have taken several elk at 500-600 shooting prone with a backpack or standing using a forked tree for a tripod.

I think of we should practice-practice-practice positional shots that are 200-300 longer than our longest possible shot in the field!

I’ve sent many bullets in 60 years of avid accuracy pursuits…
Equipment and components have improved….but technology seems to be replacing experience and practice.
Radar Chronographs, accurate range finders, ballistic programs etc are great tools for dialing-in a gun/load shooting platform….but practice in real life wind, mirage/light conditions is key to LR success.

As mentioned elsewhere check out those first round sighter hits at the extended ranges…makes me think twice about shooting at live animals past 500yds.

Hey, I got on this forum to learn and become a better shooter. My farthest shot at anything was at WY-Shoot 2023 using one of Ernie’s bolt action pistols, 1264 yds, hit it on the second shot. Ernie was giving me the wind calls, just missed on the first shot. On game animals two caribou both just over 500 yds, they were both wounded by someone else. So bottom line I’m working on becoming a long range shooter, but I’ll still stalk to get the closest shot I can. I get upset if I lose a game bird, I’ve only lost one big game animal. It was a caribou, I was hunting with a native Alaskan, his boat, basically his rules. He said leave it for the wolves and bears, that was over 30 years ago and it still bugs me.
Take Care
Rick we missed you at Wy Shot this year. Tough conditions with 20-30 mph winds. We had a blast. Hope to see you next year.
Bob
NY

I've shot out to 1,100 yards, so does that make me a LR shooter? :D

However, I'm still learning, and have plans to continue to shoot out to 1,100 yards. I've learned in a short time, wind is the biggest factor in getting hits on targets.

I have not shot any game animals at any significant distance. My longest shot on game is currently 287 yards with a T/C Encore handgun (antelope).

I shoot regularly out to 1,000 yards. Longest kill is 700 yards on whitetail. I went last year to Colorado and shot a mile. Now that is a totally different ballgame. I thought shooting 1,000 yards would make a mile somewhat easy...... LOL......WRONG!!!! A mile for me was a big learning experience. Hopefully I get it dialed in this summer. I have a 1660 yard target on my place in WV. Lucky to have it the way ground is around here. Idk about you guys but I'm gonna cheat a little and call it the mile target. Lol

Over time, it seems I am reading more and more posts from members who have never shot true LR, and for the purposes of this discussion, I will refer to "rough" NRA standards of SR (0-300yd) MR (400-600yd) and LR (800-1,000), but some of us use the 1/4 mile rule of SR: 0-440, MR: 441-880 and LR: 881-1320 yards. Yes, there are gaps between those NRA, so lets say 601-1,000yds is LR.

With that said, I read a fair amount of posts were the shooter claims to never shoot beyond 300yd, 400yds or 500yds, and from time to time, I read posts of shooters/hunters that are critical of others for shooting beyond "their" self determined limits.

So, since this is a LR/ELR hunting and shooting forum, I am just curious how many actually shoot LR (601-1,000yds) and then how many actually shoot game or even varmints at same?
I shoot out to 600 yds at my local range, my hunting philosophy is to sneak as close as possible and stay under 600, but I learn so much on here from real LR shooters about cartridges, optics, ballistics and reloading that every minute here is an education. Well, except for the bear handgun threads...

I shoot multiple PRS rifle matches per month. Been shooting PRS for 4+ years. Started hunting Wyoming and New Mexico about 7 years ago - most of the mule deer and antelope harvested 300 to 400 yards. Went to South Africa last year and harvested multiple plains game - 85 to 250 yards.

The more PRS I shoot with fancy gear, the less I believe in "Long Range Hunting" as defined as more than 800 yards because most hunters do not have the training, the experience, the gear, etc. to consistently perform a cold bore 800+ yard shot in the field.

I shoot my rifles at long range occasionally, however I primarily hunt at short to mid range. I'm sneaky. I killed a bull elk at 675ish many years ago, but have not tried since. I put down a wounded antelope at 580, one shot was all I needed. A couple oryx in the 500-600 range. So, I know I can do it if needed.

There are 4 places near to me where I can soot out to or over 1k. One is 30 mins away with target boards out to 1000 and odd steel in between. Two are F class type ranges within two to three hours with long range target boards out to 1250 at one of them. My dad's old farm still has a sweet setup, but when he got out of the place they took down most of the target boards and steel we had so I have to go reset it to shoot there. Otherwise, it is shooting at cross canyon rocks in real hunting type scenarios. That's my favorite way to burn up cartridges.

I got into shooting long(er) ranges over a decade ago at my friend's farm....we both had 22-250's, and he has lots of prairie dogs. We got real good, real fast. We both went into a gun store in Raton, NM one time and the guy in there had some kind of a "500 yard prairie dog club" certificate on the wall that was signed and dated with the yardage. He was explaining it to us, but we didn't say much....we could have covered the wall with them.

I have watched several folks try to kill at long range, and some worked out okay while some epic failed. It comes down to practice, knowing your equipment, a fair amount of luck (good conditions) and being comfortable/calm. Lots of folks cant get their head right to do it effectively. Many do not know their dope, or their true limits.

My kids are all grown up, so I get fewer chances these days. I'm finally building a 6.5cm to let one of my workers' kids learn to shoot. So that means I will be in the 2 mile club within weeks. 🤣🤣

I got into long range hunting in the fields of PA. Shooting groundhogs progressed from 200yd-400yd shots, on out to 800-1,000yd shots. I've taken quite a few from 600-1,000yds. The limiting factor is having farms available that are large enough and still safe to shoot considering roads, buildings, cattle, etc.

My biggame shooting has pretty much been limited to the 1/4 mile marker. Taking whitetails between 400yds and 500yds has been about as far as I've gone. Longer shots very rarely present themselves.

As far as range work - our club is limited to 400yds. I'm unaware of any facilities near me that offer any longer range shooting. You western LRH members have got it made. LOL