How Many Are True "LR" Shooters?

Local range only goes to 340, with 600 every other Sunday. I try to make it out every weekend but that’s not feasible anymore. However, lately I’ve been able to do cold bore shots to 600 on the 10, 6, and 4 inch plates with my 6.5cm which has felt gratifying.

I took my .308 to a range about 4 hours away for more distance than we have here. I kept up with the pack shooting steel from 200-1000, but 1050 and beyond my .308 fell flat on its face and went from holding 1moa to about 10moa. I’m guessing bullets were tumbling when they went transonic. My buddy was able to hang on to the mile target with his 6.5, which sold me on getting one for myself
My 308 with 168eldm does about the same thing. Good to 1000 and then all over the place. It has done 5 shots into .5 moa at 1000 with good conditions. After shooting the 308 the 6.5-06 with 147s almost feels like cheating. My AR10 308 with 20" barrel and 168 Amax is good to around 800 max

We shoot out to 1200 at my ranch, but most of our work is 300-700 yards.
We just hosted our first PRS style “Hunters match” with a veterans organization that included a day of training, trueing ballistics, and gathering DOPE. The next day positional shooting competition from 300-650.
It was awesome to get off the bench where we used to brag about hitting steel at 1200 yards, and transition to figuring out why we missed at 450 shooting from a standing position!

That said - I have taken several elk at 500-600 shooting prone with a backpack or standing using a forked tree for a tripod.

I think of we should practice-practice-practice positional shots that are 200-300 longer than our longest possible shot in the field!
I wish I could do more positional shooting. After breaking my back and 9 back operations with hardware from tailbone to shoulders and a plate in my neck I'm limited to say the least. I can't go prone unless EMTs and a wrecker are close by. Standing I shake to much as my muscles in my back aren't strong enough and there are the spasms. Plus I can't sit flat on the ground. Kneeling and sitting in a chair are about it so I usually shoot long from prepared positions like a table or bench, tailgate, or kneeling braced against a tree. It's a lot of fun but there are times hunting where I really wish I could get prone.

I don't shoot F-class, nor have I been to an event, but I just looked and the 1000 yard 10 ring is 10". Absent sighters, what per cent of first shots score 10's typically?

I don't shoot F-class, nor have I been to an event, but I just looked and the 1000 yard 10 ring is 10". Absent sighters, what per cent of first shots score 10's typically?
I’m fairly new to F Class. If my barrel is fouled in a ready to go - roughly 95-98 percent are in the 10. But it is a known distance with wind flags and plenty of time to read mirage.
And we use e-targets - so seeing where the first guy to shoot hits also gives you more data

If you want to have fun and practice at the same time go prairie dog hunting! You get to figure out wind, distance allat varies ranges . Consider that a full grown dog is the size of a 2 liter pop bottle it is harder than shooting paper! My personal best was 1002 yards with a 22-250.

After looking at all the post here I'm going to say I'm the exception to the general rule here .

I was blessed with the area to shoot Extended Elr I will call it living in Montana!
I pushed myself after my Open Heart Surgery and almost reached my goal of 2 miles !!
Tons of powder /bullets burned to get to my Longest 3 shot group of 26 3/4" at the distance of 3027 yards or 1.72 miles !
What a Rush and I will carry that Experience untill they lay me down !

As far as game my personal best is 1244 yards on a 5 point Bull Elk !
Yes another great memory my buddy and I will have for ever !

Lots of practice at 1000 , 1500 , 1760 , 2056 .
Now I'm back East and 1100 last fall in a Prs style match was my longest here .

I had a heck of a time at 450 to 550 range but the 1054 yards was perfect ! Hmm

No matter what your distance is keep shooting it's our Right so injoy it !!!

Thanks for getting me fired up again !!
20210411_105321.jpg

Rum Man

After looking at all the post here I'm going to say I'm the exception to the general rule here .

I was blessed with the area to shoot Extended Elr I will call it living in Montana!
I pushed myself after my Open Heart Surgery and almost reached my goal of 2 miles !!
Tons of powder /bullets burned to get to my Longest 3 shot group of 26 3/4" at the distance of 3027 yards or 1.72 miles !

Thanks for getting me fired up again !! View attachment 583329

Rum Man
Paul, have you found any 2K+ yard areas since we spoke last ? I found a couple this past May in the UP but too **** far for a drive and getting into those spots is tough. That spot we checked out is decent but with winters not seeing good solid ice, it's not really safe enough getting to the targets. I did find one spot fairly close and north of me in the trails but getting to the target is super tough. Great shooting location but horrible target location.

Last edited:
Paul, have you found any 2K+ areas since we spoke last ? I found a couple this past May in the UP but too **** far for a drive and getting into those spots is tough. That spot we checked out is decent but with winters not seeing good solid ice, it's not really safe enough getting to the targets. I did find one spot fairly close and north of me in the trails but getting to the target is super tough. Great shooting location but horrible target location.
I havent been looking really .
We should get together!

Rum Man

I havent been looking really .
We should get together!

Rum Man
Ya I could show you the spot north of here. It's around 2100 and higher than the target location. Can't find any roads on the backside of the target so it's a safe spot shooting down into it. Just not sure how to access the targets.

I don't consider myself a LR shooter even though I love it. I had planned on shooting ELR much more this year but life priorities and some of my ailments prevented it. A mile to 2k yards is about the limit I have near my house. One issue I had was spotting my shots with my 260 AI. I have a 7mm RM that I was going to use but since it's new and unproven I chose to leave it home since most of my ELR shoots also included LR coyote hunting. And time is slipping by because hunting season will start in August. When that happens I won't get to shoot ELR until February 2025. I consider ELR shooting another tool in the toolbox. Probably much more useful for predator hunting since the yotes here are very well educated. My personal max range is 700 yards on big game. I have an 800 yard range to shoot at all year round.

The first time I shout to 1k was around 2004. I tried to get an acquaintance to shoot a big pistol rifle match in Wyoming. Instead he introduced me to the organizers of the Allegheny Sniper Challenge. That kicked off a lasting hobby. The farthest I’ve connected is 1300. At the ASC, there was a setup at that range and then it jumped to 2k. Never managed that.

However the longest game I’ve taken is 350. That was antelope in South Dakota. I’ve hunted where long shots were possible things just presented closer or I didn’t see what I was after on a trip. Now my hunting rifles are setup for 600 yards as that is where the bullet velocity Barnes or accubond drops below the impact velocity I’m comfortable with. For a few years I used eldm and eldx and I tried Berger a few times. I didn’t have the hunting luck most have with Berger. I decided to move away from the fragile nature of eld, ie I crunched on bullet pieces a couple times and decided to try to reduce that.

My normal practice distance is 600 at the range I use now and most of my practice is with a 308 win. I use more capable cartridges though for hunting and matches usually.

LR or ELR on steel, paper or the hunt, the great thing here is we can all connect and talk about our experiences or challenges we have and most of the time get along.

I was lucky enough to grow up in the country here in Wisconsin, as a kid we explored and hunted about every small critter there was on the farm, good times and great memories. Wisconsin is limited but there are a few places we can still reach out a ways but usually the trees hills swamps hinder the ability to really get out there as the folks in the west and south west can find so easy. So at the end of the day growing up in an area that allows opportunities instills what is an everyday thing versus those that it is a challenge and this reflects opinions and hands on knowledge.

In 2011, I was at a training location where 1760 was a common target to hit being a 12” square. That week was a start of a challenge within me that grew when I was exposed to shooting 3000 yards. From there with the bug now I had a rifle configuration built to be more user friendly in order to gain consistency and to be user friendly. In 2016 or 17 I attended my first competition that pushed us to 3520, we stopped by a friend of ours ranch in Colorado to verify our ballistics programs and enjoy some camaraderie prior to attending the event in Raton, NM. We did very well as a Wisconsin tee shirt gang and had three good years competing there at the Whittington center. Since then we have shot in competition in Virginia, Indiana, Kansas and South Dakota and now some places are pushing us to 4200 yards crazy. Honestly the reason I like going now is to catch up with some old freinds and the Virgina event is in some cool looking mountains area in which we are not used to here.

My 260 and 6.5 Creed will get shot out to 1500 on steel enough
The ELR rifle was a 375 and later replaced by a 416 Warner thats pushing 550 grain at 3060 fps and not stressing the brass.
Lately my 22LR - my wall is 700 now, 500 is really impressive 600 really makes you pay attention. Speaking of 22LR we love these, so cheap to shoot and we use all the science used in the big ELR guns to do what we are with the 22s, they really force us to pay attention to wind, ballistics, dwell time and shooting form this is all the stuff that sometimes a person can gets lazy on with the big guns, also you can learn a lot because there’s no heavy recoil distracting your mistakes.

99% of all the shooting is done prone when in competition and usually you are racing against a time restriction to get impacts on steel before the clock runs out. Also lately it’s good to see some of the events are using smaller steel plates at distance compared to some that were getting out of hand for being large.

So yes with all that experience and being lucky to get some distance locally, hunting here in Wisconsin my farthest kill shot on a deer was probably 400 yards. Many here have shot farther and thats ok.

What drives me the most when shooting steel at distance is all the science thats used to get first round hit, or get a great follow up and being consistent.

If anyone needs any help or one on one advice, I’m in north central WI.

Cheers
JH
Osoh

Last edited:

Thanks for getting me fired up again !! View attachment 583329

Rum Man
Rum Man

Cool picture and a nice write up I hope the Heart is all well, enjoy pulling some trigger.

JH
Osoh