The High Shoulder Shot Works

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Over the last 3-4 years me and BJ have been doing a lot of hunting together and I have gotten a little picky about what i take, a little too picky. Because of this i have passed on several nice deer and always waited until the end of season to shoot a doe and by then we cant find any. Well this year i decided to remedy my 3 year dry spell and draw some blood.

Me and midget (BJ) headed out sunday evening in the 80deg heat and high wind to do a little muzzleloader hunting. I dropped BJ off at a ground blind with his savage smokeless powder muzzleloader and i headed to my ladder stand with my Encore 209x50. I got into my stand and immediatly began eating the 35mph wind directly in my face, at least they wouldnt smell me!!!! I was overlooking a large slough that still had plenty of water in it despite our drought.

The slough was full of 5ft buck brush and willows so spotting anything would be tough but it was a nice little bottle neck area and I felt confident in it. 3hrs go by with only wind and mosquitios but at least the temp had dropped to 60deg. I was just about to get down when i saw the reflection of antlers in the water directly infront of me!!! This buck had snuck to within 60yds of me and the only way i saw him was the reflection of his rack in the sky, kinda made me feel stupid but i didnt dwell on it.

I quickly grabbed my bino's and studied the rack, good but nothing special but he had some character. He was not overly wide but a little outside his ears, pretty tall on his G1's with a little palmation. Still i wasnt for sure if i wanted to take him since i was dead set on getting a wall mount buck and this wasnt quite big enough for that but he would look great as a skull mount. The buck began tearing up a small tree and i decided to see how agressive the ol' boy was feeling. I gave him a couple of grunts and he spun around in my direction, flared up his back hair and grunted back at me. Since he had fighting on his mind I decided to land the first punch. I steadied the encore and let the remington 209-4 primer start the party. I was shooting 100grs of AMerican Pioneer powder, they make the new Shockeys gold powder, and a TC 300gr Shockwave bullet.

I had been wanting to try the high shoulder shot so I settled on his top shoulder and let her burn. I saw the impact and the buck was taken off his feet and to the ground. All he did was give a little wave with his onside hoof and then all was still, no tracking needed. I was pretty happy until i thought about where the buck was. I had not thought about his location but the deer was in the middle of the slough on a small island surrounded by water!!!

I hooked up with BJ and told him the work begins now, his smile quickly faded as i told him where the buck was. We entered the bush at 6:00 and the fight began. We had to cover 70yds and it took us right at 20mins. We found the buck where he dropped and planned our route, it was obvious we were gonna get wet. We dragged the buck through 4 different bodies of black bog water and watched the deer sink twice. The water was up to my belt line most of the time so BJ was near death constantly!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After dragging the deer through water, mud, bugs, and plum thickets razor sharp we finally made it to the truck. We found the bullet on the offside hide , it broke both shoulder blades and expanded to .905", weight was 226grs. I guess the dressed wieght of the buck at 150lbs which is big for OK deer, and he was in full rut with a swollen neck and a god awful musk stink coming off him, kinda surprising since our rut is still about 3 weeks away. Anyway here are some pics

Here is a pic of me and the deer, forgive the dipsh!t look on my face I just farted or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
SteveMLBuck2006003.jpg

Here are a couple of the side of the buck, he had pretty long G1's with a little palmation on them.
SteveMLBuck2006005.jpg

SteveMLBuck2006004.jpg

here is a front view of the buck
SteveMLBuck2006001.jpg

Here is a pic of me and my neice, Kaidance, she got a kick out of the deer and didnt seem to mind the blood.
43332378610_0_BG.jpg

And here is the recovered bullet
SteveMLBuck2006007.jpg

And last here is me and BJ, you can see that BJ is still wet and we have been out of the water for a long time.
15332378610_0_BG.jpg

Well thats it, now its time to hold out for a true wall hanger,

take it easy
steve

Lerch,

Looks like you did real good!
That's a nice buck in my book. I don't know what took you so long to make up your mind to shoot him.

That BJ must be a pretty good friend to help you fetch that deer out of such a nasty place. I'd say you owe him one!

Thanks for the story and pics,
See ya,
Vic

My late buddy used to be the one who shot the deer in the great places, I sure do miss him when hunting season rolls around. We always had some sort of adventure no matter where we hunted.

Dang I was sittin here looking at that last pic, and you look like your only wet up to about just over your knees, and BJ is standing up and he is still wet up higher than you, did he step in a hole walking out, or is he just standin on a box in the picture? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry just couldn't pass that up. Great hunt guy's. I hope things work out as good for us down here in the balmy south. I got an order in for a dozen pints of blood for next weekend to fix us up after the swamp bats, (mosquitoes), have their way. Full moon and temps with lows in the mid 50's, I guarantee they will be hungry.

Good job Steve! The ole' boy tried to be sneaky in an isolated thicket heh? I guess you showed him? Catching the reflection of his antlers in the water was a slick move on your part; I doubt you'll ever forget that. Anyhow great story and a nice bit of spotting and shooting. Very impressive; especially the mosquitoes that can deal with a 35 mph wind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dave

Way to go Steve !!!

I also was wondering what took you so long to decide to shoot , thats a good buck and now your bloody so the pressure will be off a little . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One more thing , that is a mighty fine hunting partner youv'e got there , hard to come by for many .

Thanks Steve for the story and pix.

Jim B.

lerch,

Great story &amp; a well executed plan to break the 3yr spell. Man BJ is some bud, hang on to him forever. Thanks for the pictures too. You mentioned that the G1's were pretty long in your story? I have always known the the G1's as the brow tines and the 2nd antler tine to be the G2. Here is a website that explaines what I'm talking about -- just an fyi:

http://www.whitetails.com/deer_info/antler_scoring.cfm

Nice job Lerch. Good lookin' buck.

Being up in a ladder stand and being about 9'8"s tall gives you a real advantage for looking into the brush!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm thinking BJ must have been kneeling in the bogs since he's wet to his chest and you're only wet to just above the knees??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Nice story and pics----RHB

Hey Lerch,
Sounds like BJ was a "giant" help in getting that buck out of the slough. You're lucky to have a friend like that, especially after referring to him as "Miget".
I also have one of those miniature hunting/fishing buddies./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I call mine #8 (because Snow White had the first 7). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've even thought about starting a thread in Equipment Reviews just to extol on all the great attributes of a vertically challenged hunting partner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Dave

Lazzeroni.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I also have one of those miniature hunting/fishing buddies. I call mine #8 (because Snow White had the first 7). I've even thought about starting a thread in Equipment Reviews just to extol on all the great attributes of a vertically challenged hunting partner.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice job! not a "bad" buck at all!

thanks for sharing the story..creative writing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the look on your neices face is great! "Venison...its whats for dinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif"!

[ QUOTE ]
I also have one of those miniature hunting/fishing buddies./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I call mine #8 (because Snow White had the first 7). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif THATS GOOD!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.