Tell me what you see…

I can see wanting a sub moa rifle for varmint hunting but 1moa is fine for deer. The Grendel has enough range potential I dont think Id want to go over 1.25moa for deer though.

I already have actually. My gunsmith recommended an X-Caliber barrel (because of his experience with them), but I'm not familiar with them. I priced one through Lilja and McGowen, but dang they're proud of their prices!😂🤣

My bud did one like this with 6.5 and 750 gas block although he talked to them about about no threaded end.

CONFIGURE YOUR CUSTOM AR-15 BARREL

$313.60 / per unit
Barrel Steel: 416R Stainless Steel
AR Barrel Length: 22" [+$20.00]
Caliber & Twist Rate: (6.5mm) .256/.264 1:8 Twist 5R Groove
AR 15 Chambers: .223 Wylde
AR Gas System: Rifle + 2"
Gas Block Journal (Length): 1" Long Gas Block Journal
Gas Port Options: Default Gas Port
AR 15 Contours: SPR .980, .850, .750GB, .730 (Up to 24")
AR Muzzle / Crown: 11 Degree Crown (No Threads)
Finish: Polish
Quantity : 1

Try a different ammo/load. You would be amazed at the difference ammo makes.
I will, but it's gonna need super powers to overcome the condition of the barrel. Not much 'in-stock' right now as far as hunting ammo goes……and that's what this upper was purchased for. Good thing hunting season in Kentucky is nearly over. 😐

........claim was made that it only had @ 100 rounds of hand loads through it. Does that sound reasonable given what you guys have seen?
100 rounds, as you know could mean: A. 5 range sessions with 20 rounds per, and fired slow fire. OR B. It could mean one range session with three 30 rounders mag dumped in as much time it takes to drop the empty mag and reload with a new one. Of course, I would take option A every time. Even our patrol rifle qualification course doesn't require any rapid fire, so if he shot a course or two (ours is 40 rounds per), it shouldn't have caused any damage to the rifle.

100 rounds, as you know could mean: A. 5 range sessions with 20 rounds per, and fired slow fire. OR B. It could mean one range session with three 30 rounders mag dumped in as much time it takes to drop the empty mag and reload with a new one. Of course, I would take option A every time. Even our patrol rifle qualification course doesn't require any rapid fire, so if he shot a course or two (ours is 40 rounds per), it shouldn't have caused any damage to the rifle.
Truer words were NEVER spoken, my brother! Excellent point. 👍

Many moons ago my brother and I started on a quest for an accurate ar rifle.We removed the barrels and used a trueing tool to make the upper completely sealed by putting it on a drill and using lapping compound.Once we got the upper completely even we had a pretty accurate ar15.
Starting with quality barrels was important.We used White Oak barrels and went from Not Impressive to very impressed ar 15.Both in 556x45 and 6.5 grendel.Easy to do and works wonders IF you have a quality barrel.

Last edited:
I will, but it's gonna need super powers to overcome the condition of the barrel. Not much 'in-stock' right now as far as hunting ammo goes……and that's what this upper was purchased for. Good thing hunting season in Kentucky is nearly over. 😐
Im still just a little skeptical its not at least a 2moa barrel but I agree I wouldnt spend a lot more money on ammo trying to find out. I would still get a quality AR Grendel to hunt with, really fun rifles and maybe if your lucky this one can be a plinking or backup rifle under 200yds or something.

heres another pic of my PSA barrel (223Wylde) when it was fairly new. Lots of heavy chatter from cutting the rifling.
2022-02-10  20h 40m 58s___1_s.jpg

Im still just a little skeptical its not at least a 2moa barrel
Not with the Hornady Custom 123gr 'SST' it isn't. The guy I bought it from said that's the exact bullet he handloaded for into 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 yards. He "seemed" pretty surprised when I showed him the target pics. I'll grab ONE more box of another brand of hunting ammo (if I can find it) and see what happens, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Not with the Hornady Custom 123gr 'SST' it isn't. The guy I bought it from said that's the exact bullet he handloaded for into 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 yards. He "seemed" pretty surprised when I showed him the target pics. I'll grab ONE more box of another brand of hunting ammo (if I can find it) and see what happens, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
agree with that, to clarify I meant with the right ammo.
Now what Im much more skeptical of is the 1/2moa claim with handloads. Im not the most experienced handloader so I will keep an open mind but PSA barrels can only get so lucky and probably not with an upper assembly that groups this bad with any ammo.

Do you reload?
You can taylor a load in you hand load for that barrel.
I have not seen 2 inch groups shrink to 1/2 in groups but I have seen big changes.

Do you reload?
I feel awkward by saying this, but NOT anymore. With the exception of a press (which I use for sizing my SML bullets), my A&D FX 120i scale and my RCBS bench mounted priming tool I pretty much sold off ALL my other reloading stuff this year. The increased expense of everything just p***ed me off. 😐