Semi or O/U

Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids ou8t more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP8 puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Time for me to get a new gun! I play with rifles everyday, but dont focus on shotguns as much.

I have 4 small kids all 9 to 4 so I figured a 20ga would be sufficient for pheasant and Ruffed grouse here in MN, and would allow the kids to shoot it as needed with less recoil.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label. Figured the Benelli would be a little nicer for the kids to shoot, but always wanted a nice O/U. I like the idea of a new O/U, but I might lean towards an older citori or an older red label if I can find one because they are usually nice and broke in. Both the benelli and the old red labels tend to fit me almost perfect as well.

Any thoughts from you experienced upland hunters?
Gun fit and load choice have more to do with shooting comfort than anything else. My sporting scores leaped when I stopped shooting 1 1/8 ounce loads and moved to 1 oz. My skeet scores took off when I switched down to 7/8 oz loads. I also only shoot #7 1/2 shot size, no 8's. There are no magic BB's! You are either hitting it or not. I'm a big guy, but enough sustained recoil gets to you eventually.

As a result, the O/U vs. semi auto discussion comes down to purpose, not strategy. If this is a field gun, I nod to the semi. If it is a sporting gun - clay birds - my nod is to the O/U. (Choke choices on doubles.)

I just came out of the marsh carrying my Franchi affinity youth Model 20g. I have all of the butt spacers in and it fits me well. I bought it to allow my grandchildren to use it … after I break I in ;-).
It does well for me on the clapper rails here in Va and stocked pheasants in Pa.
B885F056-2F0D-4684-ABB8-2A6EA280B7CF.jpeg

AA184735-08BB-4677-8103-815E69FA0559.jpeg

Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids out more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Time for me to get a new gun! I play with rifles everyday, but dont focus on shotguns as much.

I have 4 small kids all 9 to 4 so I figured a 20ga would be sufficient for pheasant and Ruffed grouse here in MN, and would allow the kids to shoot it as needed with less recoil.

I've narrowed down my choices to a benelli montefetro, a citori, or an old production red label. Figured the Benelli would be a little nicer for the kids to shoot, but always wanted a nice O/U. I like the idea of a new O/U, but I might lean towards an older citori or an older red label if I can find one because they are usually nice and broke in. Both the benelli and the old red labels tend to fit me almost perfect as well.

If your goal is to minimize recoil, definitely go with auto. In my opinion, the A400's and A300's are the best. My youngest will shoot them all day and never complain.

Attachments

• 5D37DEBA-C39B-4A18-8F4D-C320843B1159.png
    5D37DEBA-C39B-4A18-8F4D-C320843B1159.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
For you i love a berretta 686 o/u. They are easy to handle. Ruger is heavy and bulky. For the kids, im in a similar situation, i would look hard a beretta a400 28ga. It weighs about 6lbs, felt recoil is almost nill. Might can find it in a more compact version, im not sure but im about to have to search for one. Or possibly the 20ga with kick-off system. But that adds length, which will be an issue. I help instruct local 4H with sporting clays and alot of the parents bought cheaper youth guns. Which i understand but the kids have to fight with operating them some(mostly pumps). Good luck

Buy an O/U that fits for you. I have a Browning CXS and it's a great do all but I also love my Benelli M2 for ducks and turkeys.
I will be stealing my father in laws 28 gauge 1100 when the time comes for my daughters to pick up a shotgun.
For kids you have to pick a gun with a youth stock likely. Browning gas guns and Remington 1100 in 20 would be my pick. Life hack is getting an adult shotgun and cough up the money for the youth stock to slap on it. I love the Browning micro Midas shotgun but as kids get older the short barrel may be something of an unnecessary handicap.

Lots of good advice here, especially #15 by TAWS. I think the bottom line is, get the kids an autoloader and yourself an O/U.

Regarding recoil, remember, it is the weight of the load you are shooting that determines the recoil, not the gauge of the barrel. A 12 Ga with 1 ounce of lead will kick less than a 20 Ga with 1 1/8 Ounce, all things being equal (like weight of the shotgun0. So don't just assume that buying the kids a smaller Ga will make for less recoil. Bottom line, though, is a gas-operated gun is probably what you need for the kids, and you will probably like the way an O/U swings and points.

One final point: I have had three GSPs. They are a very special breed and a joy to hunt birds over. I would have another right now, but at 80 I'm afraid he would outlive me, and leaving a GSP would be a terrible thing to do. They are far more than just a member of the family. They will make you understand what poetry with four paws means. I envy you the next ten years with your GSP.

I was becoming recoil shy and 1 ounce loads at 1170 fps had trouble cycling in my 3.5" Browning Silver so I picked up a Explor and I'm enjoying shooting again. Shooting trap or sporting clays to me became a job using high velocity loads so I guess my advice would be whatever semi you pick research that it will cycle light loads. It's true about O/U's being safe as opening the action gives you an absolute visual about it being loaded and everything can be used in the O/U.

Help me choose.

Wanting to get both myself and my kids out more, I kinda dove into a bird dog this summer and figured I would get into pheasants and grouse more. GSP puppy is finishing her first round of training and trainer said take her out in the field. She's 7 months so not expecting the world from her but my problem now is I could use a good upland shotgun.

Beretta 20 ga O/U is what I've carried for bird hunting for years. The light weight and thus ease of mounting and swinging it are what I love. The recoil is, of course, greater than a semiauto, but still negligible for adult men. It probably would be too much for smaller children and women, but then how much shooting does one actually do when hunting upland birds? (Not nearly as much as in the past. :()

Older Remington LT20 1100. Great field gun. I know people will say they break down too much but I have literally put 10s of thousands of rounds through mine. I changed the O ring a few times and thats it. I shot competitive skeet with it for years. Love my Browning Superposed for bird hunting. Mine has the straight grip and it fits perfectly. Never liked the way Red Labels felt so never owned one. As others have said fit on a shotgun is the most important factor. Hopefully you can find one you like the looks of and it fits too.
Shep

Help me choose.

Do not get a Benelli! They are inertia driven and my kids had a hard time getting their's to cycle. They didn't hold it securely enough for it to cycle the round. Get a Beretta A300. They are reliable, well price, light weight, and durable. Plus, it's a Beretta!!

Lots of great info to think over. After reading everything I think I should probably just focus on myself for now. When I build custom rifles for people, I usually fit them to the person so why wouldn't I do that in this case. I can order whatever I want from the distributers, so I'll have to just go in to Scheels and test a bunch out for fit and feel. I think I will lean towards a Nicer O/U for myself.

I have been wanting one for years and figured when I got one I would spend some money on one. If I can keep it under that $2k range (my cost) I think that's what I'll go for.

I notice a ton of 0/U are 28", is that a pretty common length for a good field gun and they handle well? I still plan to stick with a 20 gauge as well.

I was on a youth dove hunt, and took a 13 year old boy with me who had shot a shotgun a total of 12 times prior. He was using a youth twenty gauge. Shot two boxes of shells but got a bird at last. But there was a eight year old girl who had a .410 pump made by Cricket that was perfect for her. She killed one of the 1st doves she shot at and yelled, I got it, I got it, doing the happy dance. I know this is a short time gun for kids, they will outgrow it fast, but it can be passed down.