Sxs or o/u

SpeedGoatShooter37

Hello all!
I love bird hunting and have used the sporting clays and skeet ranges for years to stay sharp. Well, this Friday my beloved Mossberg 930, that I bought when I was wet behind the ears college grad, developed a crack in the forend. Thankfully after little gorilla wood glue, she'll be back to pheasant physique.

To avoid wear and tear on the ole girl, I'm looking at getting a Stoeger SxS or O/U. What are pros and cons of both configurations? Not hooked on one per se, but the SxS does speak to my inner Jed Clampett.

Hello all!
I love bird hunting and have used the sporting clays and skeet ranges for years to stay sharp. Well, this Friday my beloved Mossberg 930, that I bought when I was wet behind the ears college grad, developed a crack in the forend. Thankfully after little gorilla wood glue, she'll be back to pheasant physique.

To avoid wear and tear on the ole girl, I'm looking at getting a Stoeger SxS or O/U. What are pros and cons of both configurations? Not hooked on one per se, but the SxS does speak to my inner Jed Clampett.
SXS are my favorite. I've owned some really nice ones but, shoot way better with my over/unders. Sight plane I believe is why. I tried and tried to stick with my SXS in 20 and 12 but I hunt chuckers and Huns a lot. They're really fast. My o/u seem to nail them down a lot easier. Make sure what ever you buy fits you right without aiming. Use a pattern board and get the right loads.
My 2 cents.

As an avid shotgun hunter, and clay shooter, the O/U will do more for you and do it better than the SxS in every way, other than looking like Jed Clampett. The SxS wins that one every time.

Same as above. I have shotgunned for man, many years and pride myself in being a good wingshooter. I have never been able to shoot my sxs as well as my O/Us... but the ol' sxs shotguns sure tug at my heart strings.

I have and shoot both......the SxS definitely pulls at the nostalgia heart strings a lot more. I think stock fit becomes much more important on a SxS, than on other shotguns. Once they fit, and shoot where you are looking, I find them hard to beat. I also think barrel regulation is much harder to achieve on a SxS, and if it's off you'll always fight it. With the brand you mentioned, I'd go O/U.... If you want a SxS, I'd look for an older quality built one that was built in the good old days. My latest SxS is a 20 gauge, true 7 pin sidelock,from the 60's. It is the nicest one I own, and also shoots the best!

I've been running O/U for years and for me they're faster handling and less distracting to shoot. It may be shooting papaws old sxs which kicked the crap out of me aaa kid which turned me off but I've just never shot as well with one as I do my o/u.

I've had a very nice SXS for 40 years, it feels great and shoots well. About 15 years ago I bought a Benelli SBE and only use the SXS for dove now, but will never get rid of it.

I started hunting with a ss then went to a pump and an auto. I finally got a pretty nice ou and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I loaned it to my cousin and he couldn't hardly miss with it! It really comes down to what fits you the best. I still hunt with my old Fox ss because I like it,but the the truth is I shoot my 870 pump and 1100 sa better. Finally got rid of the ou.

I started hunting with a ss then went to a pump and an auto. I finally got a pretty nice ou and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I loaned it to my cousin and he couldn't hardly miss with it! It really comes down to what fits you the best. I still hunt with my old Fox ss because I like it,but the the truth is I shoot my 870 pump and 1100 sa better. Finally got rid of the ou.

I have an old Ranger 16g O/U choked mod and full that I have been carrying since I was 12. Killed my first turkey and pheasant with it. I would like to own one SxS in 20 or 28g. Considering the CZ Bobwhite as I like the straight English style stock.

Side bys are so classic! I love a round body with side plates English stock Splinter fore end Hand cut Border-less checkering not stamped! Skeleton steel butt W/checkered center. But most likely I would get the O/U for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts