Which choke for which barrel in an O/U

It really doesn't matter at all which barrel is first! I've seen my coach break 20 out of 25 Skeet targets with the gun behind his head ..at his hip.. or under his arm.
He says if you can shoot you can shoot anything else are excuses!
I also saw him win over 100K at a live bird shoot in Texas..He's good! and likes to play the options. Don't overthink it! For most SC shoots 2 LM chokes and a bunch of 1 1/8 oz. 7.5's will break every target on the course!

I've seen these stunt shooters, and always been sort of amazed, but also wondered why they aren't barred from the range for such behaviour. Safety First of course.

I learned skeet from a fellow that could outshoot me with a .410 but that was one of a matched Skeet set which all weighed and swung the same.
His Skeet Set was Only missing the 28 gauge, lost to his X in a messy divorce.
So he would shoot the .410 in the 28 ga event. Also shot a 20 in the 12 ga event sometimes to mitigate accumulated recoil.
He called it an Under / Over because he Always fired the lower barrel first. Again for recoil mitigation.
Funny guy, great to have on a squad. He kept everyone loose. Really made it fun, and always scored better. Miss him.

At the time he was the Club Pro.. firing or barring him wouldn't have been smart!
We did training sessions on days when the club was closed.
Now he's the pro at a very Expensive club in S.C.

At the time he was the Club Pro.. firing or barring him wouldn't have been smart!
We did training sessions on days when the club was closed.
Now he's the pro at a very Expensive club in S.C.
I know what you're saying.

Most of the guys I've seen who could really shoot amazingly instinctive were Air Force trained, or their trainers & mentors were. Never actually saw a mishap, Just Sayin.

I sure liked the reduced recoil effects at the end of a long day of SC competition when I used my 30" 20 ga.
I think anything that reduces felt recoil , and speeds recovery for subsequent shots pays off over time.

Nothing like quality practice too !

Under barrel first for more in-line recoil recovery, then the top barrel.

For going away targets, such as flushing birds, the first choke is looser, then the second which is more aimed, is tighter.

Incomers would reverse the chokes , but not the barrel order.

For a crossing target, same choke bottom barrel first.
The Winner! This is correct!

I run bottom barrel first in both my 12 and 20, cyl/ic on the bottom and modified on top in both cases. I normally don't have time to swap barrel order when birds are flying unless I'm dove hunting which is rare for me anymore. I shoot a fair amount of timberdoodle, quail and the occasional pheasant or chukar at the local preserve and this works great for them as well. Shooting skeet or sporting clay I run the same chokes figuring train as I hunt, always mounting the gun once I hear them launch or see the clay. It may be advantageous to train with tighter choke than you hunt with I know a couple of guys who outshoot me every time who run modified on both barrels for practice then open them up for big shoots or record fire. It definitely helps me if we are shooting for bragging rights to shoot a pair of cyl chokes, I'm more competitive with the extra coverage.

Bottom barrel first. Less felt recoil and muzzle jump. Life long shottie shooter. Trap, Skeet Sporting Clays and Field.

I shot Sporting Clays for years with a Browning Ultra. I liked Skeet in the top
and LM in the bottom. I shot the top first. I shot this combo 85% of the time.
Couldn't agree more. . . Maybe I'm full of mud but I think a lot of shooters use too much choke. Skeet and LM is fine for almost all upland game.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.