Primers

Only misfires I've ever had were when I seated primers upside down……..
In the 70's we never touched primers, we used tweezers to handle them. I quit that nonsense in the 80's.
I bought a S&W 29-2 recently and bought a box of Winchester factory 44 Mag shells. I had several misfires out of that box. It looks like light primer strikes to me.
I have done dozens of Trigger jobs on S&W 19s & 29s. Just buy a new spring and make sure that it close to original spring tension. They are easy to change out. I put several very light springs in on some 29s and never misfire, but HAIR Trigger after cocked.

I always took several rifles when culling in my younger days. During the late 70's, I had a Sako .243 with handloads, a Weatherby Mark V with handloads and a Winchester Model 70 with factory loads, all Remington primers.

All 3 rifles has missfires on that trip. I returned home and tossed everything Remington in the garbage and have never had another since.

I did however, have exoloding primers from those Winchester brass cased primers a few years back. I got lucky and bolt faces were not scored but I also ditched the newer Winchester primers. Used bucket loads of the old Winchester 120's and never had a problem.

These days I use Federal and CCI. No issues with either.

As a PS: the only firearms plant in the US that I know had a formal Quality Management System (QMS) was Barrett and that is because it is required by the US government and independantly audited by them through their vendor auditing division. (DCMA)

There may be others, but they don't seem to advertise ISO 9001 certification if the do have it.

I have been reloading for 63 years now. I have had a few miss fires. My son has had problems at time. I figure it's him. I have had a few that didn't go bang. What the cause was I don't really know. Rifle reload in hunting I have never had a problem. I have had a few with shotgun reload. Missed something. The only problem I have is pushing the unfire primer back out of the case. That worriers me some. Never had one go off, but have read here about problems. Seem it was more in Priming the case to start with. I have several different types of priming tools. I kind of feel that the placing the primer in the case wasn't completed correctly, and got jam and set it off, and all the other after than in the tube. I know I am extremely as I add a new primer into the primer holder, making sure it's sitting correctly to place the primer in the case. I am careful to apply the same pressure in sitting the primer.

As primers get 40 years old, there can be failures to fire. I have seen it in Fed 210s that were stored in an out door shed, non heated and insulated.

I have had bad lots of Rem 7 1/2s and Winchester small rifle, fresh straight from the factory. Some Win Large rifle are made small where they allow gas leakage, buring the bolt face.