Preferred Glassing Tripod for Backpack Hunting?

jreyna15

I have an old bog pod tripod (aluminum, 6 or so years old) that I used to hunt whitetail and hogs with when I lived in Texas. I'm up in Idaho now and the bog pod is heavier than I'd like for it to be, since it's especially now just for throwing an adapter on to use for my spotting scope. Do you guys have any good value/quality tripods that are lightweight that'd be good to switch to? I like the vortex summit aluminum at first glance. Really focusing on light weight, but value (not uber expensive). If you have any links to any you'd recommend currently on the classifieds I'd be more than appreciative.

How light do you think you want to go? The Sirui VA-5 is touted as the best fluid head for the money. I have one on the Sirui ET-1204 legs. Total weight it's around 4lbs but it's a solid tripod, and really not overly heavy considering. If I really wanted to cut more weight I'd just leave the whole thing at home including my spotter and I could lose a solid 7lbs or so. I've been looking at the Tricer tripods and head lately, I could lose a lot of weight on my glassing setup by switching to one of those, even if I just swapped my head out.

I like the size and weight of the RT-70C. Right now my current setup is about 7 lbs, but I'd like to hang onto my spotting scope vs leaving it behind. Sometimes using my binos leaves me wanting more maginification to verify if the elk I'm chasing is a cow or a spike.

The siriu seems a little higher than I'd like pricepoint wise....Ik it's easier ot buy one cry once it's just hard to do that on a tripod.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't usually bring it if I'm doing a deep in expedition. Even if you get a light tripod, a good head will have more weight. Which is pretty much what's being described by @chav0_12
Plus the spotter itself isn't light, in backpacking terms.

Days hunts, it's no problem. But hunting the high sierras or above tree line in none motorized wilderness areas, it's more pain than it's worth imo, since I'm still just using my binos for everything and always get by.

I like the size and weight of the RT-70C. Right now my current setup is about 7 lbs, but I'd like to hang onto my spotting scope vs leaving it behind. Sometimes using my binos leaves me wanting more maginification to verify if the elk I'm chasing is a cow or a spike.

The siriu seems a little higher than I'd like pricepoint wise....Ik it's easier ot buy one cry once it's just hard to do that on a tripod.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
If you're wanting a lightweight tripod you're going to have to spend some money. The Sirui is among the cheaper ones with great features, especially the head. Shop for deals and you can find something.

I really like the Silk 634. Not super cheap but you can find discount codes that will save you a little at S&S archery. They also sometime put them on sale. It's light plus tall enough you can stand and glass. If standing isn't important I'd look at the 632. Lots of guys really like the VA5 head, however I really prefer the Benro S4 which can usually be found a lot cheaper.

For a more budget option they also sell a Sirui combo with the VA5 head for the same price as the 634 alone. I don't have any experience with it but lots of guys seem to like this combo.

I am using a sirui st-124 carbon fiber tripod with a triceratops head (hated the va5). It's 2lbs 13oz.

My truck tripod is a large slik with the shv head.

After doing extensive research I purchased the Small Rig fluid head on Amazon for $39 (now $49). It is small, lightweight and perfect for binoculars.

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259
Amazon product ASIN B09C89QPR6
I have it paired with a Sirui carbon fiber Traveler 5CX tripod $95 (now $119) for a lightweight, compact very affordable solution.

SIRUI Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Compact Lightweight Slik Tripod with B00K Head, Arca Swiss Plate, Load 8kg/17.6lbs, Weight 2lbs, Folded Height 13" (Traveler 5CX)
Amazon product ASIN B07KD3R47X
It has been perfect or my Vortex HD Fury 5000AB. I use the OUTDOORSMANS BINOCULAR ADAPTER and OUTDOORSMANS UNIVERSAL BINOCULAR STUD for a quick release solution.

This is an excellent review on tripod heads for hunting, worth the watch if you are in the market.

Last edited:
After doing extensive research I purchased the Small Rig fluid head on Amazon for $39 (now $49). It is small, lightweight and perfect for binoculars.

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259
Amazon product ASIN B09C89QPR6
I have it paired with a Sirui carbon fiber Traveler 5CX tripod $95 (now $119) for a lightweight, compact very affordable solution.

SIRUI Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Compact Lightweight Slik Tripod with B00K Head, Arca Swiss Plate, Load 8kg/17.6lbs, Weight 2lbs, Folded Height 13" (Traveler 5CX)
Amazon product ASIN B07KD3R47X
It has been perfect or my Vortex HD Fury 5000AB. I use the OUTDOORSMANS BINOCULAR ADAPTER and OUTDOORSMANS UNIVERSAL BINOCULAR STUD for a quick release solution.

This is an excellent review on tripod heads for hunting, worth the watch if you are in the market.

I've been looking at the Sirui T024sk w/ball head for $180. In your researching did you come across this tripod? If so, why'd you go the direction you did?

I've been looking at the Sirui T024sk w/ball head for $180. In your researching did you come across this tripod? If so, why'd you go the direction you did?
I believe the 5CX was cheaper, folds smaller and lighter. It also came with a small ball head that I use for photography. I also purchased the ST125 for photography, which I love.

I am using a sirui st-124 carbon fiber tripod with a triceratops head (hated the va5). It's 2lbs 13oz.

My truck tripod is a large slik with the shv head.
How are you liking that Tricer head? I've been thinking about adding one of their setups to lose weight. Might even add a whole new tripod setup.

I use a Slik 624 and a Tricer BC. I don't use a tripod while standing, so I prefer a short one. One that I could use prone and seated. These both work decent for this. The Tricer is a bit better and more stable for shooting off of. The Slik is very nice as well though.