"Mountain rifles" for backpack hunting

TRUE CONFESSION:
So I'm selling that 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator I talked about earlier in this thread. That's B/C I just bought a Browning X-BOLT PRO. This is what is known as a "semi-custom" rifle due to all the nice extras that "lesser" X-Bolt rifles do not have, starting with a carbon fiber stock.

So at 6 lbs. 1 oz. the Browning X-Bolt Pro is my "mountain rifle". I'm putting a MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 scope on it (FFP, mil/mil, side focus, illuminated) and Talley "Hell's Canyon" rings i.e. bronze color to match the bronze Cerakoted barreled action and stock. The MARCH scope is short and light and checks all my mountain scope boxes.

It is a "purty" combination and very high quality.

Eric B.

Last edited:
I fondled a used Savage "youth rifle" at the gun store in 6.5 Creedmoore, but didn't buy it because I wasn't familiar with the cartridge. I wish I had. Weighed about 6 lbs. and shoots an Eld-x 143 grain bullet at 2810 fps for 1482 ft.lbs at 400 yards (probably less velocity with a 20" barrel) Europeans use the 6.5 for moose, so it is more than adequate for elk. Might have to add some length of pull, but looks like a great sheep rifle to me. With a rangefiinder and a BDC scope, you don't need a magnum rifle till you get out to really long range. Most of us shoot milder recoiling rifles much better.
Savage Axis II Compact 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt-Action Rifle weighs 6.2 lbs. for under $350.

I've been looking for a couple weeks at new guns to take some weight off but can't decide. I went to Cabela's & checked out the Tikka T3 as well as the x bolt. The tikka is light but as many complain about that stock feels cheap. Bell Carlson offers a stock but if you go that route I'd say you should get the Sako A7. I owned a x bolt a few years ago in a 25/06. I brought home meat every time it went to the woods but on paper it was awful. Tried all kinds of factory loads but never was happy with it. So that gun has me iffy on getting another x bolt. The x bolt pro as mentioned above appears to be bad *** though. My original game plan was to buy a weatherby mark v ultra lightweight 6.5 creed & top with a Leupold vx6 3x18x50. The scope is still a front runner but the gun choices are too many.

I hunt TN, several wildlife management areas that close to only hunters for rifle season, allowing for a backpack hunt.
Rifle of choice is what I'm comfortable with Winny 70 featherweight, factory McMillan stocks came on these and in 30-06 , with loads that are hand rolled - 165 Sierra's , Leupold MK3 1.5 to 5 , illum German reticle, it's a real gem! With a Vickers 2 point sling, and 10 rounds, the rifle weighs 7.5 pounds
Carry it all day, 8- 13 miles, easily. it's a 80's rifle, so got it used for 525$, scope, mounts, and sling being me to $1k

I've run out to 700 yds before getting first round hits on 12" steel. But it's a laser to 500 and I use the reticle for holds, once confirmed, sharpie on the holdover on there stock

I should mention that I'm a big 30 Cal fan, love all rifles but never stay far from the dirty thirties.
Several 308s, two 300wmags,
Getting into the lighter stuff now, no more 16 pound rifles, lol

Picked up two Steyr scouts , 308 and 223 , love these rifles!

I just got a savage 7mm-08 lightweight hunter this year. I think they list 5.6 lbs bare gun. I had picked up my 6.5 PRC that I had previously planned to use, but groaned at the thought of lugging it up the mountains after whitetail.

I think with the 2-7x32 sig scope and Talley rings I have on the lightweight hunter it it comes to like 6.6 lbs. Pretty happy so far, although I'm ALWAYS thinking abut other calibers :confused::D I'm planning to use in the elk mountains next fall, that was a big part of the decision to go light as well.

I am presently running a Christensen Arms Ridgeline topped off with Nightforce Titanium rings and a Talley aluminum rail. Scope is a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 which weighs 1.6 lbs...I could go lighter but I absolutely love this scope.

Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I hunt with the 143 ELD X and carry an extra 5 rounds of loaded Hornady 160 gr Interlock Round Nose for the treks and encounters with bears. I load the mag with the 160's for the treks.

I've been looking for a couple weeks at new guns to take some weight off but can't decide. I went to Cabela's & checked out the Tikka T3 as well as the x bolt. The tikka is light but as many complain about that stock feels cheap. Bell Carlson offers a stock but if you go that route I'd say you should get the Sako A7. I owned a x bolt a few years ago in a 25/06. I brought home meat every time it went to the woods but on paper it was awful. Tried all kinds of factory loads but never was happy with it. So that gun has me iffy on getting another x bolt. The x bolt pro as mentioned above appears to be bad --- though. My original game plan was to buy a weatherby mark v ultra lightweight 6.5 creed & top with a Leupold vx6 3x18x50. The scope is still a front runner but the gun choices are too many.
DON'T worry about, the plastic stock, as they ARE STRONG stocks ! Buy a Ballistic Nylon Comb "Pad", to raise the Comb to Scope height ( NO "shell holder", tho!), check the "Free float" CLEARANCE, put on, a good light, 2-10X or, 4.5-14X scope, adjust the Trigger to 2-2.5 Pounds and,.. ENJOY ! My Tikka .270 WSM T3, SS Lite, weigh's slightly more (couple of ounces) than, 7.5 Pounds and shoots, SUB MOA with, the 4.5-14X Burris on it, using 140 gr AccuBonds, at 3,150 FPS. My Tikka T3, .243 Win., shoot's,.. SUB 1/2 MOA ! My son's 7mm-08 easily shoots, SUB MOA ! We both, shot Elk this year, with them and walk many, MANY, Miles "Hunting",.. WE love, our Tikka's !

Speaking of taking the weight off - I'm just as obsessed as the rest of ya about finding that perfect rifle for the steep, deep hunts. However, I still marvel at how much cheaper it is to simply drop 10-20 lbs of fat (at least for my 50 y/o self that is 20 lbs overweight!). Have been working on it for 18 months and the endurance is way up but the weight is about the same. Guess I'll have to lay off the snacks.
Working out daily did make a HUGE difference in last fall's Flat Tops elk hunt...

Speaking of taking the weight off - I'm just as obsessed as the rest of ya about finding that perfect rifle for the steep, deep hunts. However, I still marvel at how much cheaper it is to simply drop 10-20 lbs of fat (at least for my 50 y/o self that is 20 lbs overweight!). Have been working on it for 18 months and the endurance is way up but the weight is about the same. Guess I'll have to lay off the snacks.
Working out daily did make a HUGE difference in last fall's Flat Tops elk hunt...

Gains are won in the gym, abs are won in the kitchen.

...or on the BJJ/MMA mat. My abs are hiding under an insulating layer
Having 25 y/o's kick my a— every day and still showing up was a test the first few months. Now I can't imagine life without it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.