Backpacking Tripod

Dixie07

I am in the market for a tripod to use with my Swaro 65mm spotting scope and binoculars to use while backpack hunting. Two tripods I have been looking at are the Slik Sprint Pro II, and the Velbon Geo E440 Carbon Fiber and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these in a similar setup. I will have a Jim White Tripod head on whichever tripod I end up getting. I am not completely sold on either one of these and would like to hear of any other tripods that you guys would recommend. I would like to try and keep it <$200 and prefer to keep it <2 Pounds. Thanks for the input.

I have a SLIK that I use. I use it with both my scope and my binoculars. May be better tripods but it works well for me.

I use a SLIK as well, it came with the shooting rest from PRS. It is a really good combo of height/weight/stability. There are more stable tripods but they will be a lot more expensive and heavy. This one I can shoot prone to standing.

I have a slik, a Benro CF, and a bog pod. The Slik is the lightest and the benro the most stable but more and more I prefer the bog pod and the ability to switch heads to the shooting rest. There is a similar set up but different brand on sale in the store on this site. All of these rest are form 2-3 pounds.

Its looking like I am going to end up getting the Outdoorsmans Med Tripod w/ Jim White head. Everything I have read/heard about both have been nothing but good.

Hey Dixie----I got a med outdoorsman tripod from santa claus this year and it is bombproof. Very happy with it. It is a little on the heavy side but it does not sway in the wind. I also went with the outdoorsman pistol grip head---very happy with it also.
And if it means anything---they are all made here in the good ole usa...........

Randy

Last edited:
Guess I'm the cheapskate here. I trundled down to Wallyworld and bought a chi-com camera tripod that telescopes down to 5" and weighs about 5 ounces. It cost 12 bucks.

Been using it for a couple years now.:)

Hey Dixie----I got a med outdoorsman tripod from santa claus this year and it is bombproof. Very happy with it. It is a little on the heavy side but it does not sway in the wind. I also went with the outdoorsman pistol grip head---very happy with it also.
And if it means anything---they are all made here in the good ole usa...........

Randy

Exactly!!! That does mean a whole lot to me. One more reason to buy it!

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I had a question some of you may be able to answer.

I currently have both the standing and sitting Bogpod tripods with both the standard and pistol grip optics heads that I am using for my spotter and binos. I have a Nikon ED50 spotter with 13-30 eyepiece, and Minox 13x56 binos.

I have come to really prefer my Stoney point bipods as a shooting aid after a couple seasons of big game and especially coyote hunting. I shoot just as well from my sitting/kneeling model than I do my Bogpod and can set up in 1/3 the time. I'm not a true long range hunter, I get within 300yds if possible but practice prone to 600yds and am comfortable on game to 500yds with my hunting rifle.

I'm thinking of going with the Slikk 634 Pro carbon fiber tripod and Promaster 6160 head for my optics to replace the Bogpods. This set-up would weigh in just a shade over 3lbs plus the 11oz for my Rapid Pivot Bipod.

My Bogpod standing model weighs in at 34oz and the kneeling is about 1.5oz lighter. The pistol grip optics head weighs an additional 21.3oz and the standard head weighs 14oz, both including the adapter plate.

So finally getting to my questions, the Bogpod set-up I use (standing model+universal shooting rest+pistol grip head) weighs 55.3oz and the Slikk set-up I'm looking at weighs 59oz including my stoney point bipod for shooting. Anyone have any experience with these or know how much stability I could gain with the Slikk set-up? Do I really need the extra for my 30x zoom on my spotter? I see the Slikk has some negative feedback on here and thought I'd see what others thought.

Thanks!

I was looking for a packer tripod and was enamoured with a carbon but didn't llike the prices until i went to best buy and saw one called the rocketfish. I have used it for 2 seasons now and it was very reasonable. I took the head off and put the jim white head on it. Great value tripod and excellent head equals one happy hunter.:) FYI, it is not listed online. i had to go see what they had locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.