Nosler Brass Quality-280 AI

AZ82New

I just built a 280 ai with the goal of shooting the 140 Absolute Hammer.

Pertinent Specs:
22" Bartlein 3b
Ruger m77mk2

I started pressure testing based on info from the hammer guys plus their load compilation.

I have tried two primers: fed 210 and 215 GMM.

I'm pressuring out much much faster than what multiple people on the compiled reloading data sheet are. Regardless of the primer.

One guy with a 22" inch proof, using Nosler brass, similar COAL and Staball 6.5 never reported pressure all the way up to 64 grains. I blew a primer at 62 grains. My velocity's were within 25 fps of what he was reporting.

Same story with h100v from several other compilers. I'm tapping out two grains short of where they are, with similar velocities up to that point.

I don't think it's a slow barrel or a break in issue. Otherwise my velocities would be slower with the lower charge weights.

My theory is that maybe the recent lots of nosler brass are softer. Maybe a cost savings measure do to the recent supply chain constraints?

Does anyone else have a similar experience recently?

Is there something I'm missing?

FYI, I tried Nosler factory ammo….140 BT.

It chronographed at <3,200>fps for three rounds.

That seems pretty fast for a 22inch barrel.

So why are my hammers running slow?

There is a difference between Nosler brass in their factory ammo and the brass sold as a component. Found that out the hard way with my first 280AI barrel and it frustrated me out of Nosler brass and into Peterson.

That may not be the case for your situation but when I was head scratching with a stuck case I wish I would have known there was a difference.

Pertinent Specs:
22" Bartlein 3b
Ruger m77mk2

I started pressure testing based on info from the hammer guys plus their load compilation.

I'm pressuring out much much faster than what multiple people on the compiled reloading data sheet are. Regardless of the primer.

One guy with a 22" inch proof, using Nosler brass, similar COAL and Staball 6.5 never reported pressure all the way up to 64 grains. I blew a primer at 62 grains. My velocity's were within 25 fps of what he was reporting.

Same story with h100v from several other compilers. I'm tapping out two grains short of where they are, with similar velocities up to that point.

I don't think it's a slow barrel or a break in issue. Otherwise my velocities would be slower with the lower charge weights.

My theory is that maybe the recent lots of nosler brass are softer. Maybe a cost savings measure do to the recent supply chain constraints?

Is there something I'm missing?looks like you have several variables to

Pertinent Specs:
22" Bartlein 3b
Ruger m77mk2

Is there something I'm missing?
My experience with Nosler has been positive with their NOSLER PREMIUM brass. I purchased 150 rounds of the premium brass, weight sorted, measured the length and primer holes, and discovered exceptional uniformity. For example, the brass weight variance was less than 1/2 grain for the entire lot. I cannot say the same for their non-premium brass…hope this information helps.

2 grains less powder than other guys loads...which could be beyond max...
25fps slower....sounds good..
what's the problem....
Are the bullets shooting straight.....
If you are looking for faster bullets wouldn't you be served better by shooting a lighter bullet......I thought that us the concept of hammers monos.....
Faster..Deadlier..Straighter.....

I don't see any volume weight checks with the cases. just because you scaled the case doesn't mean much. I use to think I was doing something by weighting my cases. WRONG. Volume weight is the name of the game. Anything showing on pressures signs? Top quality brass helps a lot there in volume weight. I would check 5 to 10 case for that and see just how much difference there it. These case are being fireformed, and the barrel is getting broke in? From what I am reading it's a new rifle, and a new barrel, new cases. So there a lot work to get done to really test the loads. There been a lot of writing about new barrels and fireforming cases. Which braking in the new barrel as you fireform the cases. That can take a couple of time to get them fireformed. You should chronograph your velocities to see where you are at.

I tried nosler brass for benchrest and it started ok and went down hill fast. Switched to better brass and I don't look back. Lot to be said for brass like Petersen, ADG, Alpha, Lapua. Took nosler brass away from my 28 nosler and ran ADG and don't look back. Why not shoot good brass if you are trying for repeatability longer brass life and accuracy.

I tried nosler brass for benchrest and it started ok and went down hill fast. Switched to better brass and I don't look back. Lot to be said for brass like Petersen, ADG, Alpha, Lapua. Took nosler brass away from my 28 nosler and ran ADG and don't look back. Why not shoot good brass if you are trying for repeatability longer brass life and accuracy.
Because they have a lot of time on their hands. They want to be in a fireforming state. 🤣 It's more likely that it's what, they can get there hands onto, at the time. I place and order for 500, 280AI cases in Peterson Brass. Lapua don't build them. It almost took a year to get that brass. Lapua, Peterson and others don't build all the types of brass for all the different cases out there either. Powder and Primers are kind of coming back, but theirs a lot of types of powder/primers that hasn't or very limited on supply. Where is all that going too. I haven't seen H1000 or Varget on the market in months, nor Match Large Rifle Primers either. I know and I surf the net every day, and generally twice a day. I put in on wish lists too. Have to be quick and be lucky at the same time. Primers are, if in, 3 times higher than should be. They got us over barrel, and sticking it to us. it does appears that the manufactures are getting ahead of factory ammo. Prices are coming down, but slowly. I really feel that the manufactures of ammo are in the first place for components, and the reload is in **** place. It's probable not totally why they charge so much for components, but the lack of them, they don't have anything to turn off. the name of the game is turn over.

This was not your rifle and all rifles will show pressure at different points.
I have had no issues with nosler brass with my 280 AI other than if you push em hard the primer pockets will loosen fairly fast. There's definitely better brass but availability can be a problem.

The woes of 280ai owners is real. I was able to pick up 100 Peterson brass from a LRH member. Still looking for another 100. I saw some the other day, but at $250 for 100 I had to pass. It is a new chambering for me. I love the efficiency of the cartridge, but not the scarcity of components.