.280 ai

brandon327

Will a .280 ai work on elk out to 800 yards. I have never hunted elk before and don't know how hard they are to kill. All I have ever hunted are whitetail deer. I plan on a elk hunt next year and I want to make sure I am not under gunned. I am in the process of building a rifle. I want a .280 ai but want to make sure I don't need to step up to a 7mm RM.

Will a .280 ai work on elk out to 800 yards. I have never hunted elk before and don't know how hard they are to kill. All I have ever hunted are whitetail deer. I plan on a elk hunt next year and I want to make sure I am not under gunned. I am in the process of building a rifle. I want a .280 ai but want to make sure I don't need to step up to a 7mm RM.

With the right loads the 280 AI will match the 7mm rem mag.

For Elk I recommend 160 to 180 grain bullets in the 280 AI Like the 160 gr Accubonds or the 180 grain Berger VLDs.

J E CUSTOM

If you can get those kind of velocity out of a .280 ai what is the advantage of a 7mm RM? What kind of velocity can you get from a 7 mag?

My 7 rem mag ran 3030 (validated) using the same bullet and powder (70 gr vs 63.5), same length barrel, same grooves and twist from PacNor. I did not expect to get quite this much speed from the Ackley, but there it is. My chrono has always been a little optimistic, and it is showing an average of 3024, which I expect will prove out to somewhere between 3000 and 3015 when I shoot the trajectory validation data at 200, 600, and 900 yards. I sold the magnum to get away from the recoil, and built the Ackley expecting to get somewhat less velocity in exchange for a fair recoil reduction. I have seen no pressure signs with this load. To say I am pleased with how it all turned out is an understatement...

Last year, my buddy and I took a GA boy that have only hunted on a tree stand and all shots no longer than 50-75 yards. He was set-up with Savage 111 in .300 Win Mag with 180gr Barnes TTSX factory ammo. It took him 2 shoot in the boiler room and 1 in front shoulder area and all shots were within 100 yards. Despite 3 vital shots, the bull elk managed to run ~100 yards before he finally dropped. When we field dressed him, the 2 on the boiler room area were both pass though hitting the lungs and front shoulder penetrated about 2 feet from the front chest. IMHO, bullet performed as advertised.

I too managed to harvest an elk; it was 931 yards with 190gr Berger VLD at 3043 FPS out of my SAKO M995 in .300 Win Mag. It only took 1 shot but the bull elk managed to ran ~200 yards down. Elk was shot at front chest area; when I field dressed him, the internal organs were all souped up ... Berger performed very well.

Despite bullets performing as advertised, both elk expired differently. Just something to think about.

Good luck on your planned hunt.

I have been on a few elk hunts and at least from my observations they are mighty tough critters,"Bang-Flop" not being the norm. Just got back from Montana, I'd loaded up a bunch of 215gr Bergers for my 300WM and was anxious to try'em but no luck,weather was too nice I guess. We were hunting with three local guy's,one had a pump action Remington in .270, the other two had Winchester's in 30-06, one of which was a pre '64. These old boy's have probably killed as many elk as I'll ever see,so I don't think your out of line with a .280ai, providing you understand it's limits.

In my experience (very recent as I am still working a load for my first) the 280 Ackley gives up very little to the 7mag. Rule is you can't get somethin for nuthin but it the case of the 280AI you can come very close. Yesterday I chronographed my 160 accubond load at 3083 average in a 27" Bartlein barrel. The group measured less than 1/2" at 100 yards. I did have flattened primers but the bolt was not stiff. Going back out this morning with couple modified loads. Naturally I want to maintain 3000 fps and shoot one hole groups :). The fun is seeing how close you can get.

I have been on a few elk hunts and at least from my observations they are mighty tough critters,"Bang-Flop" not being the norm. Just got back from Montana, I'd loaded up a bunch of 215gr Bergers for my 300WM and was anxious to try'em but no luck,weather was too nice I guess. We were hunting with three local guy's,one had a pump action Remington in .270, the other two had Winchester's in 30-06, one of which was a pre '64. These old boy's have probably killed as many elk as I'll ever see,so I don't think your out of line with a .280ai, providing you understand it's limits.

Yep!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 79
The 280 ACK. with the right load and bullet can do it, Build the rifle, then work up some good loads and practice at 800 yards. Have you ever shot at 800 yards? If you can shoot MOA or under at those yards you will be ready to go.

With the correct load and bullet providing I do my part I think 800 yards shouldn't be a probelem from what I am reading. All I have to go on at this point are others opinions as I haven't built the rifle yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.