280 vs 280 AI

To be 100% sure I would set it back 1 turn.
The problem with just running the reamer in is the transition from the 280 shoulder to 40 is it gonna be smooth or be left with a ring
or slight ridge. I've seen reamers .003 difference in dimensions for the same caliber.

There are slight differences between the 280 ai wildcat that i own and the nosler creation. Don't think it would work to fire either cartridge in the other rifle. As far as using a reamer myself, it only takes a few seconds to ruin a chamber. Best let a qualified smith do the work.

Take it to a gunsmith and let him set it back one turn, if you try it yourself it doesn't take much to ruin a chamber and could end up costing way more then just having it done right the first time

The action had ber
Can you just "run the reamer in" without affecting correct headspace for the chamber, I thought you had to set the barrel back to get it right?

The action and barrel had been
lighten to the point of being delicate . A couple of attempts to remove the barrel caused fear of breaking it. We use a long t handle and. Bushing in the rear of the action . I had purchased a box of nosler 280 aI brass to use as a head spaceguage We used the space between the rear of the action and bolt handle to determine how many turns cut how much metal. Carefully over the course of a hour we recut the chamber. Pay special attention to clearing chips , be sure to take the striker out the bolt. If I had to do it again I would have had PTG make a pull through reamer. I fire factory ammo and or hand loads with no issues. Setting the shoulder back was not a option, the rifle now performs sub moa.

I have a 26" barreled 280AI and two 24" 280's. The 2" extra barrel length creates more velocity difference than the AI, I think. That is if loaded to the same pressure. Curious, if you don't handload why not a 7mm RM?
At any rate, any should work fine, but I'm a little old fashioned and believe that energy makes a difference and at the range you're writing about, with the game you're writing about, I'd recommend the 7mm RM or bigger. Frankly I'd choose the 300 Win Mag.

The reason to set the barrel back, for a proper Ackley, is the improved is supposed to have .004 crush on the parent case. This holds the parent case against the bolt face for safe firing. Just reaming, without set back, gives .004 or more excess headspace.

Thank you for the replies. The reason at looking for the non magnum 7mm is I don't want to go longer than 22". And from my research that puts it in the realms of the 280ai. I am not opposed to a 7mm RM but if I can get the same performance from a non magnum I'd prefer that. I won't be putting more than 100 rnds per year through the rifle. So the cost of a quality ammo is not a hangup for me. Plus 90% of the game taken will be mule deer sized and lower. So magnum power isn't a necessity. Like I posted originally my range is well short of "long" range.

You can run it in by hand then if need pull the barrel. I used the nosler to set my chamber. And head space. With nosler and Hornaday brass why shoot 280 rem . If you for some reason need to form 06 or 270 or 280 brass you can form a false shoulder , and seat into into the lands blow the cases out with out introducing stretch/thinning at the case head

The .280/.280AI has been my "if I could own 1 gun" hunting caliber since I first started using one when in my late 'teens. When it comes to the AI, I've always found that if you don't plan to go with a minimum barrel length of 26", or even a light 28", it's a waste of time and money. I've always reloaded for the .280/AI and even with a 24" barrel the two were nearly identical with regards to performance. Not worth the trouble.

When it comes to the AI, I've always found that if you don't plan to go with a minimum barrel length of 26", or even a light 28", it's a waste of time and money. I've always reloaded for the .280/AI and even with a 24" barrel the two were nearly identical with regards to performance. Not worth the trouble.
That's completely opposite of what I've found, never could get over 3000fps with a 280 Rem and 140's and 24" tubes. Loaded for 3-280AI with 24" tubes and all would run 140's 3220-3240 fps with 140's and 3070 with 162.

Based on your needs the 280AI is the best option, faster than the 280 Rem, more ammo availability and recoil is the same. With how much you will be shooting per year you won't have to worry about a barrel replacement.

I have and love both the 280 and the 280AI. If I were forced to choose, I would have to pick the 280AI. ONLY because I would have the option of pushing it a little harder if, for some reason, I wanted to. With that said, both guns have always been one shot and done. You really can't go wrong.

280ai with 150 or 168 ABLR, shoot whatever you want out to 1500 yards or so. Or 280 rem with 150 ABLR and shoot whatever you want out to 1200. I prefer either to the 7mag.

I'd go 7rm
I own both, the 7rm does everything the 280ai does, it just does it faster
I like them both really well, but if you dont reload the 7rm is going to give more options.
The 7rm will outrun the 280ai in any length barrel, but there is a point where it becomes less of an argument, I believe your right at that spot.
If I had it to do over again my 280ai would be a 7rm
The nice thing about your situation is there isn't wrong answer. They're all great cartridges.