Need a new field dressing knife

Nothin too fancy for me but at present my kit includes a buck 119 for heavy/deep work, also really useful for separating joints compared to a drop point design, the clip point gets right in there and it’s a stout enough blade for rough use.

Buck vanguard drop point for general work, very good for removing backstraps and such.

A new to me bubba blade “rhino” that is just crazy sharp for skinning on account of of how aggressively curved it is, and not too long.

A silky pocketboy folding saw, good for going through sternums and such.

None of these are particularly expensive. They work.

Here’s the buck 192 vanguard “heritage walnut” and the bubba rhino. The bubba is ugly but functional. I find the buck to be very beautiful and also functional. The brass and walnut are easy on my eyes.

I’ve never got into any of the super steels yet, just don’t really need anything like that for how much I do and have found buck’s heat treated 420 HC basic steel perfectly satisfactory AND very tough, not prone to chipping at all and holding an edge decently well.

As another note, I am no master sharpener and find it’s easy enough to get standard high carbon steel WICKEDLY sharp.

Attachments

• IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8418.jpeg
    IMG_8418.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 23
I have a few benchmades I like but I still find myself always using the outdoor edge knives. The folding blade knives stays sharp for along time. I’ve cleaned and cut up a hand full of deer before I touch it up. The replaceable blade model is nice when your cutting up a lot or nick your blade on something when your way out in the woods. You can order the replacement blades just about anywhere.
We sell those at my place of business and to be honest I didn’t know what to think about them or whether they were a cheap gimmick or a legit useful dependable tool.

I’ll take this as an endorsement haha, good to hear they work for ya.

Not to hijack at all, but I promise this is related. I’ve never seen a super great way to deal with the rectum on a deer/elk aside from essentially plunge cutting around the tube so it comes free from the pelvis (which requires a long thin blade to do well) or splitting the pelvis with a saw. In an effort to not carry a specific bone saw I’ll use the havalon for this task, but never knew if there was a better way to do it with less gear.

Not to hijack at all, but I promise this is related. I’ve never seen a super great way to deal with the rectum on a deer/elk aside from essentially plunge cutting around the tube so it comes free from the pelvis (which requires a long thin blade to do well) or splitting the pelvis with a saw. In an effort to not carry a specific bone saw I’ll use the havalon for this task, but never knew if there was a better way to do it with less gear.
Try a butt out. Awesome tool for this purpose.
I usually carry a Buck 102

I don't split the H-bone on deer or elk. I cut around the anus and it pulls out it with guts. If I were going to split the H-bone. I would use a small hatchet, especially on an elk.

I have several skinning knives including a benchmade saddle mountain skinner. I have never used it. For field dressing, I like to use a sharp pocket knife. For elk I use a benchmade 585 barrage. For most deer, I use either the Benchmade barrage or a Camillus stockman, which I have carried for years. For processing, I use an Old Hickory 1095 steel blade, and Victorinox boning knife, and sharpening steel. I have never needed the saddle mountain skinner. It is a great knife. But I always carry a pocket knife and like to field dress as quickly as possible, so I just use my pocket knife and make sure it is sharp before hunting season.
When I was a kid, used an old timer sharp finger. I wish I still had it. I loaned it to a friend and he lost it. Those are great knives.

Last edited:
I started with the havalons but found the blades were dificult to change out in the field so I switched to the Gerber equivilent which had an easy blade replacement feature. Then last year I saw the outdoor edge version which is a much heavier and substantial version and the blades don't break. I am now using that model.

I am in need of a new gutting/field dressing knife and maybe a new skinning knife. Any recommendations?
I use either a Benchmade Mel Pardue drop point or a KOA African skinner for field dressing. The Benchmade Meat Crafter is great for breaking down a carcass, and even works well back home in the kitchen for cutting up to package.

I use just a Benchmade altitude. It’s seen deer and elk. S90v steel for those that know the relevance. Unfortunately it was discontinued but I got it because of it being so light for backpack hunting. And the s90v.

Speaking of relevance, I think it’s important to mention that I live and hunt out west specifically, and pretty much only do a gutless packout. I’ve yet to need anything more than a blade touchup.
I’ve pretty much done this process annually/bi-annually for over 20 years, so I tend not to go digging the blade into bone, but I’d guess even so, it would be fine for that one hunt.

(I’m referring to when people need to touch up in the field)

For elk and deer I really don’t need anything more than a 3 inch blade. I do use a light weight hook blade for the purpose of trying to keep hair off the meat.

@dfanonymous I did my last deer gutless and I think that will be my go to method from now on. I'm sure I'll get better at it with practice.

My knives I carry typically are a Cold Steel Outdoorsman lite and a Havalon Piranta. I haven't encountered a situation I needed anything more.
Yeah, it’s pretty much the method to use.

Especially if you’re by yourself deep in the backcountry, high up on the mountain, and far away from a vehicle, or where motorized access is restricted.