Carbon on necks tied to bolt lugs

The observation of powder/carbon residue pattern being related to bolt lug pattern is mentioned in Tony Boyer's book. The picture in post #8 is the page. I don't recall it describing why that happens.

The carbon flows back around the lugs to the neck. Think of the gaps between the lugs like open gates in a dam on a reservoir.

Ignore…was thinking about something else …. Need some caffeine or something 😂

Last edited:
So is mine, but I often get a ‘wave’ of carbon on my necks and all of my actions are trued and blueprinted. My 22-250AI barrel was chambered slightly eccentric and it carbons one side only, never thought anything of it until now…

Cheers.
So continue to NOT think about it....

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I can offer nothing other than this picture. I recall hearing this on a pod cast not long ago when i was driving.
might have been Jack Neary who said something about it.

View attachment 582588
What if you see the Carbon on the neck, but no "Pronounced" Lug Marks (no carbon on the shoulder)? Does that mean neck too thin?

What if you see the Carbon on the neck, but no "Pronounced" Lug Marks (no carbon on the shoulder)? Does that mean neck too thin?
Some carbon on the neck is normalish. Carbon on the shoulder is not good. I have that happen with brass that was not annealed and it was quite brittle.

I think this little gem is more important for benchrest guys who essentially send 10 in the same hole. For us other guys that handload and hunt, I don't think it's worth worrying about.
The words "sine wave" and locking lugs tied together was an interesting play on terminology but I don't think it's a rabbit hole to go down. My curiosity got me here.

Speedy and Erik Cortina talked about this topic recently. Tony Boyers name came up a lot. I've got Tony Boyers' book but I don't recall reading anything about it. That said, I usually have to read a book more than once to get all of the details.

I think this little gem is more important for benchrest guys who essentially send 10 in the same hole. For us other guys that handload and hunt, I don't think it's worth worrying about.
Agreed

As if there isn’t enough to try to keep under control
Tell me about it. I'm cleaning my CZ457. I just ran a borescope through it and found a carbon ring. A frikken carbon ring in a .22LR (always suppressed). Why can't my cute little .22LR just be normal like all the other kids. I may take up knitting instead. Does anyone's Bigfoot need a sweater?

Recent Posts