7 wsm or 7 saum

I was debating custom 7 SAUM, RM, or factory .280ai. I ruled out WSM on brass availability. Ended up with a Seekins 7prc after it was released and basically solved all the various slight drawbacks I saw with the rest. It was just the easy button. Peterson brass, 180 eldm at 3000 fps should more than get the job done for anything I'm likely to do with it.

As I recall making 7-300 WSM from 300 WSM is a simple neck-down.

Making 7 WSM from 300 WSM requires either fire-forming or a hydraulic die due to the neck-shoulder junction of the 7 WSM being further forward. Neither is a deal-killer, but it is another step or steps depending and is why I decided that the 7-300 WSM was my own choice.

7 SAUM is the easy button. Mine has been PHENOMENAL.

However if I was starting over I’d probably do a 7-6.5 PRC. Neck up the 6.5 and roll with it. It’s doing great things in F class and brass is easier to come by.

I don't think there is really a difference, but...I shoot several throated WSMs with 26 inch barrels, one with a 28. Absolutely love the caliber. Brass has never been a problem as I neck down 300 WSM brass, then give it a fireform. Never has a problem. I shoot 168 LRX's in all of them from 2975 - 3150 fps. With a long action, you can defined your freebore.

Good Luck!