7 wsm or 7 saum

Its a joke. The 7PRC is a great cartridge, Hornady just got caught lying and refuses to fix their posted velocities.
What’s woke or lying about a 7PRC with 190’s at 2900+ with consistent .5 moa or less precision? With n568, not a powder known for velocity.
Or 3000+ with 180’s and H1000. No speedster there.

When all the BS talk is set aside, it’s an 81+ degree case of fairly good design that sits in correctly free-bored chambers, for high BC heavy bullets. I’d like it more as 40* for sure, though.

That’s why the 7 Mega is almost complete!

I find this a very interesting debate because SAUM brass in Canada is very difficult to find (after doing some checking, it's possiblr available but it is incredible expensive - $159 / 20 Nosler brass). 7 WSM (I thought was still findable) but I started searching and couldn't find any. Factory ammo wise... I could find way more 7 WSM in stock (couldn't find any SAUM in stock anywhere) but Nosler and Remington are still making it

From a performance perspective, I have 2 x 7 WSMs and love the cartridge. (I have about 10 boxes of factory ammo and at least 250 brand new brass, so I am lucky that way.) As pointed out earlier, what the SAUM does the WSM does faster. Accurancy wise... ironically the 7 WSM has proven itself on the range and there is nothing (according to results that i could see) that the 7 SAUM can do that 7 WSM isnt capable of.

But as someone who is trying to plan out his final 3-5 ultimate rifles (as the wife and I discuss selling the house to downsize someday - no room for 85+ rifles) the 7 WSM was one of the cartridges I have grown to really like. So after all this... unless your needing factory ammo... I would now be leaning to neither. Honestly... after researching things to try and give you a decent opinion... I started checking out the 7-300 WSM and its a very solid performer. Tons of good brass available and it's becoming a well accepted wildcat all because of the lack of 7 WSM brass.

That also assumes that you are sticking with a short magnum action length. Opening up to a long magnum action length of course opens you up to endless options lol.

I have a Med length action 7mm WSM. Great rifle. I wanted it to get slightly more speed for high weight in caliber bullets. Also, the chamber is designed to put the bullet at the lands with the start of the boattail right at the end of the case neck to maximize case capacity. I designed it around the 180 ELDM. The combo has worked great for me. It is splitting hairs but the WSM does have more capacity. Hence driving my choice. I as able to get Bertram brass in enough quantity that it will last as long as the barrel.

I find this a very interesting debate because SAUM brass in Canada is very difficult to find (after doing some checking, it's possiblr available but it is incredible expensive - $159 / 20 Nosler brass).

That's Canada and Nosler for you, unfortunately...:(

Originally, the 7 WSM, as designed by Winchester, had a short neck in an attempt to prevent misloading the wrong ammunition. This has since proved to be fallacious so the original design has won out. We had resorted to necking down 300 WSM with a longer neck but utilizing the 7mm caliber. You can still use 300 WSM brass, it just takes a little more work.

While I am a fan of the WSM designs, I am also shooting the 7x61 Super S&H which has a belt. Belted brass doesn't bother me at all, we've been loading belted brass since the advent of .375 H&H in 1912. I have never had any problems.

Look at the whole range of cartridges to decide which might be your best choice.

Enjoy!

:)