Need a new field dressing knife

Like other topics on the forum, there are members with significant knowledge here. The quality of the steel and heat treatment is undoubtedly important. So is a person’s ability and process when sharpening the knife. For the guy that likes quality tools for the field, but doesn’t have metallurgy degree, it is tough to discern what are the practical benefits of buying a higher end knife. S30V vs S35V vs S90V just starts to fall into a crack in my brain.

Yes, Rick. That's 2746 deer (massive amounts of deer permits in the summers. Best summer was 151) AND 16,200+ groundhogs, both of these are 100% handguns. I don't own any rifles.
I like the Outdoor edges because I have 2 & keep new blades in each one. I clean my deer in an average of 7.5-8 minutes on the ground. Doing it that fast means I may hit a few bones. I usually can do 3 deer with a new blade. All these deer are given to the old, needy, friends, and previous patients. I hope this stuff keeps me young 'cause I'm older than the hills!

I do a lot of the same things mentioned. I have boxes of really good knives that I rarely use. Some have great value and others have great sentimental value, serious heirlooms. Some years I do 50+ deer, elk and antelope. I now use a Havalon for deer and antelope. And an Outdoor Edge for elk. The Havalon seems a bit light for an elk. I carry many extra blades in my pack. Also carry a mini Leatherman and use it to change the blades. Those blades get stuck in the knife with lots of blood and stuff on it.

I also carry a Wyoming saw. They are collapsable and cut like no other easy-to-carry meat saw. Makes it easier to cut bone on an elk or remove the skull plate on a critter. As I've gotten older, I have finally figured out that the romance of carrying a lot of bone has seriously worn off. So I cut as much weight as I can. Even if we're packing quarters, I cut off the leg bones shorter. No need to carry that bone for miles; just leave enough to hang it. (Sometimes I do use a knife to cut the legs off, too. The Wyoming saw is faster.)

I think if you are just doing one or two critters,, a good, sharp conventional knife is fine. But sometimes I struggle to get my knife sharpened once every week or two and those replaceable blades allow me to get stuff done quicker and also get more sleep instead of trying to remember to sharpen knives. And I save my good knives for special hunts when I'm out for myself or with friends.

Oh, nice! I’m glad it’s not. If I ever lost mine, I would buy another one no question.

That said, that’s a different generation/model.

I have one that looks more minimal like this:

They updated it a few years ago and added the carbon fiber panels. Still very minimalist.