My thoughts on solid copper bullets and in comparison to other bullet types.

What is sad to me is that, I am on the Nosler Forum, SigForum, and snipershide forum. Don't tell me those forums do not have passionate people, but I have never seen personal attacks. Maybe I am not there often enough and not seen them, but I don't remember any. Here seems to becoming more common.
I just remember I am a guest of Len, and also thank him for the "ignore" option. That way, if I cant read something, I will not say anything my mother wouldn't like.
I am here to learn and share...

Thank you..

If you have an issue with something that was written on here about your bullets then go after that specific thing. So say you see something that is a characteristic written or voiced on your bullet then go after that specific point of contention.
I did. My first post on this thread did exactly that. My issue was being lumped into a blanket mono bullet bash.

I did. My first post on this thread did exactly that. My issue was being lumped into a blanket mono bullet bash.
I was looking more of a specific thing said that doesn't specifically doesn't represent what you feel your bullet does in the field. Where it pertains internal, external, or terminal ballistics. That's a much more educational arena to explore what bullets are capable of doing. That would help more hunters out there what to expect from any bullets whether they are mono or cup and core. IMO that'll help all of us with whatever we chose to use.

Noted. Sorry if I offended. Sorry you took this as a bash on monos.
Here’s a quote from my original post regarding monos in general:
That is my own personal opinion though, so please don't read too far into that and think I'm implying anyone that uses them is foolish. I'm not here to cast judgment. When I did use them, I didn't have a single lost animal, but my close examinations of the wounding I saw showed performance that was greater influenced by good shot placement rather than pure bullet performance. I was fortunate enough to place my shots well, but I know I can't always count on that out in the field under harsh conditions.
Another:
I'm well aware of how many guys have had good results with Hammers specifically here abc I don't want to step on any toes. I was reluctant to even post this due to it.

When you see a post/comment you feel is negative towards your bullets, you have a tendency to go after the person that said it and to try to discredit them, rather than simply correcting what you think is wrong, and why. You say most of what I say is wrong, but rather than explaining what and why, you throw out accusations against me. Is that helpful? I know who I am and what I do or don’t do and I can take it if someone wants to form their own opinion of me, even if it’s unsubstantiated.

I’ve said it multiple times in multiple posts that I have nothing against your bullets and that I do not disagree that they work. I have no vendetta against you. I’m not trying to see you fail. I do not get the animosity and the fight here. Why can’t it just be a discussion and an opportunity for hunters to learn? If I’m wrong, I want to know and I’d like to get the correct way of thinking. I definitely do not want to steer anyone wrong. That would be the opposite of my intent here.
Read my 1st post in this thread. I did exactly that. Might want to read it.

I've taken over 30 animals and my friends another 15 or so with one form of the Barnes x bullets over the past 15 or 20 years. Have had only one failure and that was when my bullet glanced off the spine on a hit from above and the bullet reversed front to back and traveled diagonally about 30" before coming to rest in the far side shoulder socket. The tip was missing with no expansion at all, but the bull never took another step. This was not a shot I wanted to take, but the bull was originally wounded by another hunter in our party and was on his way out of the country. So, I have no issues with the Barnes bullets. That said, after reading of all the favorable press on the merits of the Hammer bullets, I decided to give them a try in 4 of my rifles. In my opinion, if there is a better option, I need to try it out and see how they perform. I would say from my experience so far, they are at least as accurate as the Barnes bullets and the Barnes have generally been the most accurate in my rifles and the velocity has been outstanding. And I've tested most of the premium bullets available except for the Bergers. I've had two of the so-called premium bullets fail miserably and it wasn't due to shot placement or too high of a velocity. Both animals died without further shots, but the bullets literally exploded just inside the animal. I believe this manufacturer had a tooling issue and a batch made it past inspection with a defect. I have never heard of anyone else having a problem with this brand and design. And Barnes had an issue with their bullets in the early 90's and I called their customer service dept on it. They had a batch of 7 MM bullets with highly inconsistent ogives. They offer to replace them, but I just used them as break in bullets.

As a retired engineer, I look at all aspects of bullet design and function, but the bottom line is how they perform on game. Some things make a lot of sense to me, such as providing a homogenous bullet material - like all copper. I know the bullet rotation will negate the microscopic imperfections that can be present in a cup and core bullet, but why not start with the same material to begin with? So with an open mind, hopefully I get to try a Hammer bullet out on game this year - but until I do, it is not fair to speculate on their performance.

Used lead core jacketed bullets hunting large game from 1971 until ~2016. Also used some Barnes copper bullets to a lesser extent on moose, grizzly, and deer, after the original Barnes X bullets became available.

Began shooting large game with lathe-turned copper monolithic bullets when higher BC bullets became available. Had some lead core jacketed bullet failures, on both ends of the failure spectrum. Some shallow penetration explosions and some FMJ type in/out performance.

Currently have no intentions of reverting back to lead core jacketed bullets as my primary LRH bullet. Been very pleased with both precision, and terminal performance of the copper mons bullets on game. Lathe-turned copper monolithics now have high enough BC values for my LRH hunting uses. I really appreciate the lesser bullet-caused meat carnage, compared to lead core bullets. Copper monos aren't prone to shrapnelling explosions in meat/muscle.

I will still carry Swift A-Frame and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets in my mags for close range camp and bear defense use. Expanded weight retention with these two bullets is highly controlled. The bullets are short enough to fit in my magazines well. They've been deadly efficient performers on closer range moose, brown bear, and caribou. No matter how adrenaline-charged the bear at the time of bullet impact.

Last edited:
I don't know nor want to know what he said. I refuse to read it. But the last few months his objective has been to shut down any thread that he perceives is not beneficial to him!
And you would be incorrect in that assumption, it’s actually the exact opposite but i apologize that’s that’s the way you see it

Used lead core jacketed bullets hunting large game from 1971 until ~2016. Also used some Barnes copper bullets to a lesser extent on moose, grizzly, and deer, after the original Barnes X bullets became available.

Began shooting large game with lathe-turned copper monolithic bullets when higher BC bullets became available. Had some lead core jacketed bullet failures, on both ends of the failure spectrum. Some shallow penetration explosions and some FMJ type in/out performance.

Currently have no intentions of reverting back to lead core jacketed bullets as my primary LRH bullet. Been very pleased with both precision, and terminal performance of the copper mons bullets on game. Lathe-turned copper monolithics now have high enough BC values for my LRH hunting uses. I really appreciate the lesser bullet-caused meat carnage, compared to lead core bullets. Copper monos aren't prone to shrapnelling explosions in meat/muscle.

I will still carry Swift A-Frame and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets in my mags for close range camp and bear defense use. Expanded weight retention with these two bullets is highly controlled. The bullets are short enough to fit in my magazines well. They've been deadly efficient performers on closer range moose, brown bear, and caribou. No matter how adrenaline-charged the bear at the time of bullet impact.
I’m 100% all about doing what works for you and using what works for you. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke, as the saying goes.