My Dad's 30/375 S.I. by Straight Shot Gunsmithing

No i havent, i dont think i would have enough capacity to hit pressure before having to super glue and/or duct tape the bullet to the case to keep it from moving out on me. :)

That's what I thought too. The good thing is that there is no way to over pressure with that stuff.:) 101 grains of the stuff is a bit of a compressed load but no innovative adhesives are required.

BTW, super glue on inside of necks raises pressure. Not recommended. Use only for loose primers. :) Also might wanna try Gorilla Glue for primers. I think it will swell and seal the gap around the loose primer. The looser the primer the more moisture gets in. I have 20 pounds of loose primer hole brass. I'm motivated for a fix. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Thanks Roy, i think the long bearing surface is the reason my velocities are low, and the fact i am about 2 grains below max. I want to hit 3035 with the 215s so i can just steal Jeff's dope in Townsend and hit my target with minimal work. :D One of my Dad's friends has a 50 BMG, he uses it for prairie dogs. Lol. I want to give it a try. I only have 144 rounds down the barrel, it should last until the end of next year. :rolleyes: I hope the 215s are easy to develop a load for, i start school tomorrow so range time will be minimal. :rolleyes:

Riley....you can probably hit 3035 with Retumbo but it may not be your best accuracy load. I'm thinking it will like 79 grains of H1000 pretty well. With retumbo, somewhere between 80-82........Rich

I shot some 215s today. They shot horribly, the best was just over 1" and the worst was 4-5" at 100 yards. I shot 77-79 grains of H1000 with the bullets seated at about .003" jam. I did chronograph the 77 grain load with the magnetospeed and they averaged at 2837 fps. I was using 78.5 grains of H1000 with the 210 ALR and they were going 2857 fps. I did not see any pressure signs at 79 grains with the 215 hybrid. I think the reason they shot so bad is i believe there is something wrong with the scope. I think we are going to order a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 SFP with the 2 MOA reticle. Does anyone know where the best price on them are?

I will suggest you back them off the lands. Most rifles I have shooting them I am 040 to 070 off the lands. The one I set up this week definitely opened up the group when I went in to 010 off. I just came in to let the barrel cool for more chrographing. The first 3 from new unformed brass in a 300 win went 2941, 2942, 2942 fps. 28" 1 in 10 twist Broughton 5C. 76 gr of H-1000 .070" off the lands. Those 3 went into 4" at 905 yards with some wind. Chrono is a new Magneto V2.

Hope this helps. The worst group I got was 1.12" at 100 when I was at -010" off and was on the to hot side of the load. The average groups with 40 some rounds fired are .4 to .5

Jeff

I shot some 215s today. They shot horribly, the best was just over 1" and the worst was 4-5" at 100 yards. I shot 77-79 grains of H1000 with the bullets seated at about .003" jam. I did chronograph the 77 grain load with the magnetospeed and they averaged at 2837 fps. I was using 78.5 grains of H1000 with the 210 ALR and they were going 2857 fps. I did not see any pressure signs at 79 grains with the 215 hybrid. I think the reason they shot so bad is i believe there is something wrong with the scope. I think we are going to order a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 SFP with the 2 MOA reticle. Does anyone know where the best price on them are?

Definitely sounds like a scope problem or something other than the bullets? Your velocities sound about right. You could probably get 3000'+ before you maxed out, especially with retumbo. I bought a couple of scopes from Kevin Cram (Montour Co. rifles) and did quite well. The scope you mentioned is a good one......rich

I think am going to suspend load development for the 215s until after hunting season. I will just use my 210 ALR load i used in townsend. I want to use a higher magnification scope for load development and right now we dont have the funds to dump $750 on a scope until the house sells. I will sight in with a kahles 4-12 and use that for this hunting season.

I think am going to suspend load development for the 215s until after hunting season. I will just use my 210 ALR load i used in townsend. I want to use a higher magnification scope for load development and right now we dont have the funds to dump $750 on a scope until the house sells. I will sight in with a kahles 4-12 and use that for this hunting season.

Good Plan! After all, hunting is the end game, right?:D.......Rich
p.s Do you want me to send you a few SXR's to try?

Finally got to test the 215 bergers in the 30/375 S.I. with H1000. I tested from 77-80 grains three shots each at 100 yards. The two obvious winners were 77.5 and 79 grains, which IIRC was the loads Rich found shot the best in his rifle. These were seated .042" off the lands. I will chrono both loads and check their velocity spreads. 77.5 was .352" CTC and 79 grains was .386 CTC. 77.5 is the first pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 75
Here is 79. Pics got flipped 90 counter clockwise for some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.