My 260 by MCR

Trebark, who is having these matches, I'm not far from you and might like to check it out next yr, as this yr is shot no pun intended.

Just wondering how your 260 is doing as far as accuracy and round count. I'm considering building a 260 as a practice rifle.
Thanks
Jon

Just wondering how your 260 is doing as far as accuracy and round count. I'm considering building a 260 as a practice rifle.
Thanks
Jon

This rifle has been a consistent .5moa rifle. Only recently has it begun to show some signs of barrel erosion at ~2000 rounds in three years. In hind-site this is largely due to the fact that the load I had for it was really hot, the jump to the lands is long and is compounded by the fact that the rifle's primary use has been competition where it has regularly shot 10+ rounds in short periods of time without cooling.

I would definitely recommend the 260 to you. It is a great round. You can get great Lapua brass, bullets with good BCs and if you don't load it hot and shoot lots of continuous strings like I do, you get long barrel life.

Thanks for the reply Trebark. I think it will be a good practice rifle for me and deer rifle for my kids.
Jon

Thanks for the reply Trebark. I think it will be a good practice rifle for me and deer rifle for my kids.
Jon

You're welcome. A 260 should fit your requirements nicely. It's a good practice round and if your kids are recoil shy, just put a brake on it. Also, as your kids grow, load the heavier bullets and it's capable of shooting waaaay over there.

After pounding a few thousand rounds down the barrel of this rifle, the barrel finally gave up. As a result, the rifle has been rebarreled, new (more effective) brake and repainted.

This rifle will remain my go-to tactical rifle (for matches where a stage(s) are 600 yards or less). It may also spend some time in the field hunting deer and groundhogs.

Here are the specs:

Action: Blueprinted Remington 700
Caliber: 260Rem
Barrel: 26" fluted (previous barrel was 28"), heavy barrel, 1:8 twist to shoot 130grain custom bullets and/or 140grain bullets. Holland recoil lug and three port Muscle Brake.
Finish: McMillan Gray cerakote.
Stock: McMillan A3 (50% brown, 25% black, 25% gray - trebark colors!) with adjustable cheekpiece. Pillar bedded.
Trigger: Jewell trigger tuned to 18oz. - it breaks like glass!
Optics: Leupold MK4 8.5-25x50 with M5 turrets and TMR reticle mounted in Burris Signature Rings and 20moa rail.

Weight: 14lbs unloaded

The rebarreling and painting was done by Shawn Burkholder with Hawk Hill Custom - Hawk Hill Custom. I highly recommend him to you.

Initial load development has shown great accuracy potential (.5moa or better) while sending 130grain bullets at 2800. This is 200fps slower than the previous incarnation of this rifle. Idea here is to shoot a milder load in hopes of getting even more barrel life. I'll post shooting results soon. In the mean time, here's a few pics of my new stick. Let me know what you think.

This rifle is a visual twin of http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-7saum-hawk-hill-custom-135561/ (260 in front with three port brake).

After some struggles to find a load that will shoot in this rifle with sufficient precision and low ES, the work has paid off. Here's new load data:

Bullet: 130grain Berger hybrid
Powder: 47grains Superformance
Primer: CCIBR2
Brass: Lapua
COAL: 2.85"

This load shoots .5moa or better at 2920fps. It feels good to have this rifle back in action and shooting like a house on fire!

The last couple weekends have had the rifle out engaging targets from 100 to 700 and as long as I do my part, this rifle will put the bullets right where you point them.

Also, shooting the Berger hybrids, this load can be used to hunt as well. :)

Great FPS! Did you try H4350 with that bullet? That's always been my go to powder in all my rifles for the 260 and 6 Creedmoor.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.