My 260 by MCR

Bringing back an old thread - Can we get an update on this rifle?

Many thanks.

Bringing back an old thread - Can we get an update on this rifle?

Many thanks.

Yes, here's an update.

This rifle has become primarily a tactical competition rifle and http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570 is my primary hunting rifle. My 260 has been my tool of choice in many matches since October 2011. As long as I do my part, this rifle is the platform that has helped me win several competitive matches with shots out to 1000yards. It was the rifle of choice for a team match that my team won. And it has had multiple top five finishes.

With 1400+ rounds down the barrel, I am pleased to report that the barrel is still going strong. Today, I shot a .25" group at 200 yards and center punch hits out to 535yards.

Also, today, the optic was upgraded to a new Leupold MK4 8.5-25x50 with TMR reticle and M5 turrets that are mil adjustments rather than moa. The scope is also a first focal plane so that the reticle is true regardless of the magnification setting. By having a mil reticle and mil adjustments, the rifle is really fast when engaging multiple targets at multiple distances.

Anything else in particular you would like to know?

Attachments

• 260updated 003.jpg
    260updated 003.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 260updated 004.jpg
    260updated 004.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 132
Great News! and many thanks for getting back to us.

I am very much interested in the 260 Rem and that is why I lit this thread up. Of course every gun is different so I never look for pet loads but could you tell us about the components the 260 prefers (brass, bullets, powder, primers). At this point I am just looking for a platform to hit paper as far out as I can and learn the intricacies of the reloading required to do that.

Thanks for the update on the scope as well. I had been studying ffp vs sfp over the weekend.

Great News! and many thanks for getting back to us.

I am very much interested in the 260 Rem and that is why I lit this thread up. Of course every gun is different so I never look for pet loads but could you tell us about the components the 260 prefers (brass, bullets, powder, primers). At this point I am just looking for a platform to hit paper as far out as I can and learn the intricacies of the reloading required to do that.

Thanks for the update on the scope as well. I had been studying ffp vs sfp over the weekend.

While I can't say the components that all 260s prefer, I can tell you my preferences:

Brass: Laupua (the gold standard)
Powder: H4350 - temp stable and provides excellent velocities and low ES
Primers: CCIBR2 and Fiocchi. I have tried Fed210 and 210M but did not obtain desired results.
Bullets: This particular rifle has only had three bullets down the tube - 142SMK, 140VLD and 130JLK. The key here is barrel twist, you want 1:8 twist to be able to stabilize the 140 class bullets.

Shoot me a PM if you have more particular questions. Glad to help out.

Many thanks for getting back to me. You gave me a good idea where to start. And thanks for the offer to send you a PM, you will most likely here from me with a few more questions later in the year.

How many rounds do you have down the pipe of the 260 now? Great story. I want to get out and do some prairie dog hunting some day. Sounds like fun.

How many rounds do you have down the pipe of the 260 now? Great story. I want to get out and do some prairie dog hunting some day. Sounds like fun.

Round count has to be around 1500 at this point and still going strong. Have a tactical match coming up this weekend. Will pound ~50 rounds down the barrel in the process.

Without a bore scope I cannot say. Based on accuracy, any erosion has not yet had an effect.

Beginning to have some concern that the barrel on this rig is at the beginning of the end. This summer this rifle has been in five tactical matches (~300 rounds for a total round count of ~1800). Each of these matches has been a real pounding on the barrel with each match having more than one stage with 5 to 10 rounds fired in quick succession.

Recently took the rifle out to verify its zero at 100 yards and it shot just under .75moa. Shooting was a bit rushed as I didn't have a lot of time. I can only hope that being rushed caused me to not shoot my best.

This coming weekend going to shoot another tactical match with an expected round count of 150+ rounds over three days. When I get back, will conduct some serious 100 yard testing.

Anticipating the worst, going to be ordering a new barrel now.

Beginning to have some concern that the barrel on this rig is at the beginning of the end. This summer this rifle has been in five tactical matches (~300 rounds for a total round count of ~1800). Each of these matches has been a real pounding on the barrel with each match having more than one stage with 5 to 10 rounds fired in quick succession.

Recently took the rifle out to verify its zero at 100 yards and it shot just under .75moa. Shooting was a bit rushed as I didn't have a lot of time. I can only hope that being rushed caused me to not shoot my best.

This coming weekend going to shoot another tactical match with an expected round count of 150+ rounds over three days. When I get back, will conduct some serious 100 yard testing.

Anticipating the worst, going to be ordering a new barrel now.
What's your estimated total round count in the rifle to date?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.