My Dad's 30/375 S.I. by Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Riley, Thanks for talking me into rebuilding that 300rum. The gun looks great and I have no doubt you will work up a great load for ME to shoot. We will get a scope ordered as soon as we close on the house, would have done it already but mom pays the CC bill and it's tough to slip that by her.

Rich, Thanks for all the help and information you gave Riley to complete this project. Everyone on LRH has been so helpful with all his questions, I have no doubt that his career path will involve gun powder in one way or another.:)

P.S. The grass looks a little long in those pics, better get the garden tractor out.:D:D

You are very welcome! I suspect Riley has a pretty supportive dad to encourage him although I don't think he needs too much:D....rich

Got 40 pieces of brass neck turned today, and just finished loading all of them for break-in tomorrow. I will be using some 180 grain Jenson J26 bullets over 81 grains of H1000 for break-in, i also loaded some 150 NBT over 78 grains of H4831 to see how they shoot, and i loaded some 210 ALRs under 77-81 grains of H1000 in .5 grain increments to see where i will be as far as max pressure and powder charge. I will report back tomorrow afternoon! gun) gun)

Got 40 pieces of brass neck turned today, and just finished loading all of them for break-in tomorrow. I will be using some 180 grain Jenson J26 bullets over 81 grains of H1000 for break-in, i also loaded some 150 NBT over 78 grains of H4831 to see how they shoot, and i loaded some 210 ALRs under 77-81 grains of H1000 in .5 grain increments to see where i will be as far as max pressure and powder charge. I will report back tomorrow afternoon! gun) gun)

Sounds like you are ready for some fun! Do you have a chrono?......Rich

We are in business! I broke in the barrel and shot some groups today, no load development yet, but i dont think i will have much of a problem getting it to shoot. The 150 NBT shot pretty darn well, the 180 J26, did okay, but not nearly good enough for me. I shot a short range ladder at 100 yards with the 210 ALR, i think my accuracy window will be between 78.5-79.5 grains, based on the very little difference in vertical dispersion. I dont know what happened with the 78 grain charge. Next time out i will load 78.7, 79, and 79.3 grains and see where i am for accuracy with the ALR. I started getting some ejector marks on the 80.5 grain load and only had one more round left so i shot the 81 grain load and a good size ejector mark showed itself but i didnt loosen the primer pocket.

Pics:

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 303.JPG
    303.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 304.JPG
    304.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 305.JPG
    305.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 306.JPG
    306.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 96
We are in business! I broke in the barrel and shot some groups today, no load development yet, but i dont think i will have much of a problem getting it to shoot. The 150 NBT shot pretty darn well, the 180 J26, did okay, but not nearly good enough for me. I shot a short range ladder at 100 yards with the 210 ALR, i think my accuracy window will be between 78.5-79.5 grains, based on the very little difference in vertical dispersion. I dont know what happened with the 78 grain charge. Next time out i will load 78.7, 79, and 79.3 grains and see where i am for accuracy with the ALR. I started getting some ejector marks on the 80.5 grain load and only had one more round left so i shot the 81 grain load and a good size ejector mark showed itself but i didnt loosen the primer pocket.

Pics:

ATTA BOY RILEY! Get that baby tuned and you will have one ragged hole. Especially if you get your hands on some 215 hybrids.......Rich

Last edited:
I would probably give the 230 targets a try before the 215s. With Broz's results from last season, they seem to be just a bit too soft for my liking. The results Broz and his son have had with the 230 OTM, and them exiting all the time but still expanding great, is a little closer to what i consider ideal for the purpose of this rifle, a 0-1000 yard elk hammer.

I would probably give the 230 targets a try before the 215s. With Broz's results from last season, they seem to be just a bit too soft for my liking. The results Broz and his son have had with the 230 OTM, and them exiting all the time but still expanding great, is a little closer to what i consider ideal for the purpose of this rifle, a 0-1000 yard elk hammer.

The 230's didn't group quite as well in mine, although they weren't bad. I have over a half box left that I could ship to you to try if you want......Rich
p.s. did the 230's expand at 1000 yards for Jeff?

I will see how these 210 ALR turn out first, if they dont work out, i will let you know on the 230s. I dont know if Jeff's son has shot anything with the 230s at 1k but he shot a mule deer buck at 893 yards with his 300 win mag at 2775 fps MV.

Oh, and i do have a chrono, but it hasnt been working lately, i will be getting a magneto speed soon.

Hey guys i did some reloding for the 30/375 S.I. today and thought i would snap this picture. The case on the bottom is seated .025" off the lands and the one on the top is .040" off. You can see the 210 ALR is a good fit to this cartridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 101
I shot last saturday, with two groups with 78 grains of H1000, two groups with 79 grains, and one group with 78.5 grains. Groups werent very good, but i think i need to get the seating depth dialed in.

The first pic is 78 grains. I dont know why they are turning on me, sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.