My 100lb plan for 2016 elk hunt

A college buddy of mine that played football in college at a playing weight of 280 lbs standing 6' 5" then showed up at my workplace at 6' 5" and 190. I asked him if he was on any sort of diet or work out. His response was he did one type of work out - he pushed himself away from the table.

Controlling your weight is 80% knife and fork control and 20% exercise.

I'm single, no kids. A lady friend has been losing weight since the beginning of the year and that is a big motivator for me. Gotta keep pace with her....

chasing women...that'll keep you slim!

It's the catching and keeping that is where the majority of the problems start......... :D

As for the sleep, it seems that if I eat properly and exercise, I wake up without an alarm clock after 5-6 hours, and no, it's not because I have to pee....... :D I've had that sleep pattern for as far back in my adult life as I can remember.

I've been reading this thread for a couple weeks now and I thought it would do you good to offer some encouragement. It is difficult to stay motivated when results are slow going, I have tried and failed so many times to loose weight it is rediculous. I started my spring slim down this week in hopes that I'll be able to loose 45lbs and keep it off before my scheduled backpack elk hunt in Colorado this October. I'd love to go on one off the LRH group hunts someday but I just can't afford it any time soon. I hope that you have started to get back into the habit of exercise and good eating. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I get motivated to loose weight and get back in shape and will set unrealistic goals, schedules and expectations. I'll keep up with those expectations for a few days or weeks then I'll have a setback of some kind, sickness, injury, work trip, family holiday etc. All of a sudden my motivation is gone and I'm right back where I started only this time I feel defeated instead of motivated. This drives me to not care and get worse. I am trying to rewire my brain this go around, instead of starting in an unrealistic unsustainable way I'm trying to change small things until they become normal to me. For example, one of my big my weaknesses is fast food, I'll eat that junk every day because it's easy to pick up on the way home from work, or easy to grab during lunch. I'm working on changing the way I think about eating so that I don't dread the waiting or effort involved in home cooked food. A little planning goes a long way in the realm of healthy eating. Sleep is another issue for me. I've always been a night owl, I'll stay up late and end up hitting the snooze button until the very last second so all I have time to do in the morning is shower, throw on clothes and run out the door. This sabotages my whole day. There is then no time for exercise or a good breakfast I'll usually end up just drinking coffee and eating junk food. I'm trying to train my self to go to bed early so I can get up with time for exercise and a healthy start to the day. My advice to you would be to look deeper and try to identify the root cause of your weight issue and the main pitfalls that keep you from succeeding. Begin to address the root cause and main road blocks instead of forcing yourself into an unrealistic program and you will hopefully see lasting sustained changes for once. Good luck I'll be cheering for you.

I have done pretty much what you just suggested, sounds like we are in much the same boat. I haven't gotten back in the gym as much as I plan to but I am planning to do so and really looking forward to it. I weighed today and I'm down to 285, which is a 16lb loss total from when I started the thread. I have just started trying to loose it 1lb at a time. I try to make better decisions, like you were talking about. Skipping on the fast food and having a couple packs of tuna instead for lunch, not stopping for a snack when I start craving one. Having lost these last few pounds has really helped my motivation and drive. I'm down about 2lb below where I was before the month and a half long holiday binge, so I've lost what I gained back there and lost another 2lb to boot. I now have a lot more motivation to protect what I've lost and just keep chipping away at it a pound or two at a time. Hopefully with the warm weather coming I will find the motivation to get out and walk/run, hopefully I can overcome the desire for excessive grilling and beer drinking that also comes along with the warmer weather. As usual I'll report back when there is something worth telling. 7 months 10 days till the hunt.

That is so true. You get skinny in the kitchen, you get fit in the gym. You could lose weight by simply cutting back calories and not doing a bit of exercise. You would simply be skinny and flabby, but skinny none the less. I plan to stay with the exercise though as I would like to hedge the bets as much in my favor as possible against this elk.

I realize you have a lot of weight to lose but you do have a decent amount of time still. This is a pretty simple plan from Montana Rifles blog. If you have the time to do it, it will work, and it will work your cardio as you stated that's your big weakness. In my experience if you work your cardio everything else will follow.

Montana Rifle Company » BLOG

BOOK:

"Body For Life" - by Bill Phillips

They also have a website - but the book in paperback is usually available from Amazon for approx. $6.

THIS WORKS.........And - you will not be hungry. Simple book, simple plans for foods and exercise. Nothing exotic or weird...but REAL success.

( I lost 35 lbs of BODY FAT in 4 months - and increased my lean muscle weight by 5 lbs.)

YOU CAN DO IT!

I joined a crossfit gym and I have seen gains from the past two weeks of work. The coaches at the gym provide motivation and help with form. You do an active warm up, the exercise events, then about 5-10 mins of stretching. Total time of the work outs are 45 mins. They smoke the crap out of you. The ONLY issue is a membership is 135 a month!

I just read the whole tread. The best advise I can give is get a workout partner! Someone who keeps you accountable! Someone who makes you show up to the gym when you don't want to go! It is a lot harder to skip a morning at the gym when your buddy is there waiting for you. It is easy to give up on that last set when there is nobody there pushing you. Someone to keep you at the gym that last 15minutes when you really want to go home!

Hey, just wanted to check back in with yall. It's been about a month and a half since I last gave an update. Things are moving along pretty well now. I have put into effect the plan to switch over my workout style from power lifting to a more endurance type workout. I have been adding in some running as well as interval training and I have extended the length of my trips to the gym to closer to 2 hrs now instead of one.
The most important thing I've done is really reigned in my eating habits. I am eating very clean, mostly chicken and turkey breast with brown rice and sweet potatoes for my carbs and lots of green vegetables for the meals where I'm not eating carbs. Trying to eat 4-6 times per day. I purchased a new backpack/lunchbox cooler kind of thing which really helps with being able to take health food with me to work. I cook everything in bulk a couple times a week and then divide it into small tupperware bowls in proper portions.
I have also started taking boxing lessons, I don't plan to do any professional fighting ha ha, but the cardio and endurance type workout involved fits perfectly to what I am wanting to accomplish. I weighed in at 279 this morning and I will be around 275 post workout today. I usually weigh two to three times a day now. In the morning, post workout, and sometimes before bed. This allows me to track my weight in different ways, my actual weight, my water weight and my weight of food intake during the day. The boxing has helped tremendously, mostly in a psychological aspect. It's much easier for me to beat the heavy bag or hit the pads or do my jump rope in order to get the cardio I need vs. trying to force myself to get on an exercise machine that I don't want to be on to begin with.

I've been following your progress and commend you. I think you're doing s good job.
Coming from someone who " loves food" I've learned a few things.
What you put in your body makes a difference. One thing I have done is not just control the calorie intake, but the type of calories. I did Isagenix shakes with a huge improvement. I'm not hungry, have increased energy and am still losing weight.
Stay positive and don't give up. My goal is to work out so I can hunt better and more efficient than the majority of other guys out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.