My 100lb plan for 2016 elk hunt

Well just to give you all a little update, I managed to gain all the weight back that I had lost. Usual story, got back from the hunt partying with my buddies, then the holidays, and then you get into the well there no need in exercising now feeling sorry for your self deal and then one day you get on the scale and **** it! There it is. 300lb again. The good news is I have gotten a hold of it and started back working out and eating right so I guess it'll be time to fire this thread back up and I'll keep you all posted. Having a little accountability never hurt anybody. On the upside of things I haven't haven't lost much strength in the gym and my cardio is starting to build up.
Today though. 300.7lb and falling hopefully. I turn 40 Oct of next year and I hope to be able to say I am really physically fit by that time. We'll see how it goes and maybe you guys can help keep me on track. If anyone else wants to get.in on this thread with their progress reports feel free. I'll check back in with y'all soon

I need to get in better shape, and make the time to do it...For my health, hunting, and my job, as a County Deputy. I don't have an official weight, but I know with my Duty belt and ballistic vest on I'm right at 250, so probably 235, and I'm 5'11". I haven't ran in WAY too long, and though it's not required, to pass the physical for my department for my age I need to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes, which I know I couldn't do now. I will try to keep on track, my cousin and I are debating a pack-in elk hunt near Yellowstone this year

I need to get in better shape, and make the time to do it...For my health, hunting, and my job, as a County Deputy. I don't have an official weight, but I know with my Duty belt and ballistic vest on I'm right at 250, so probably 235, and I'm 5'11". I haven't ran in WAY too long, and though it's not required, to pass the physical for my department for my age I need to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes, which I know I couldn't do now. I will try to keep on track, my cousin and I are debating a pack-in elk hunt near Yellowstone this year

Only thing to it is just to do it. It doesn't matter how out of shape you are. What matters is just getting out there. Set a goal and work towards and if you don't make that goal at least you were working out.

If you run 1.5 miles in 5 mins or 20 mins you still got in exercise. The media and magazines make it seem like if you're not rich froaning or rich piana then you are garbage. It's totally BS. Just get out there for your health, happiness, and for your family.

Bill Myers words of workout encouragement lol.

Love that photo.

Jason

Keep up the fight, it's never easy especially as we get older and have more and more responsibilities. But you can bench 300+ so you're a beast... you are obviously very gifted physically ... just stay focused and you'll get there by fall.

I have one of these pictures next to my alarm clock and another one behind the cupboard door to our pantry that has junk food in it. Helps keep me focused especially in the mornings when there are a thousand excuses I can use to crawl back in bed and skip my morning workout.

I thought it would be interesting to keep a running thread on my train up for the 2016 elk season. I hunted on the group hunt last year with NTO and being from ky I really had no idea what to prepare for. I did crossfit and a lot of walking with my pack. As the hunt got closer I was still not close to what I thought was a suitable weight. I'm a big guy anyway, so cardio is not really my thing. Think more like powerlifter. So 40 days before the hunt I did a very drastic diet and lost 43lbs in 40 days to get down to what I felt was a reasonable weight. I had lost some in the months prior doing other training and dieting. End result was going from 313 down to 255lbs for the hunt. I'm 6'0 so that still isn't exactly in shape.
That being said I have dropped a deposit for a hunt in 2016 and I intend to be well ahead of the curve this time. Due to my love of all things unhealthy, namely beer and red meat in large quantities, I have returned to the 300lb mark. 301lb as of last monday to be exact. So I started talking with a freind of mine here at work who went from 290ish down to 170lb and now runs 7 miles a day. I have devised a pretty specific diet and exercise program and my goal is to get to 199lb before the hunt. Which is approx. 15 months away. I'm due to weigh in Monday and I'll update then, that will be 7days in.
I'm using a mix of strength training coupled with HIIT cardio and keeping my calories around 1800 with a ballance of approx. 45% protien40% fatand 15% carbs which balances out to around 250gr protein 88gr fat and 76 gr carbs per day spread out over about 5-6 small meals. I'll adjust as necessary. For reference I did 500-700 calories a day to lose the weight for the last one and that was not very fun at all.

I'll keep you all posted for anyone that is interested in following. Right now any stats on my exercise are simply bad and worse. Ha ha
Any insight on your diet. ? I'm trying to do the same and struggle to eat healthy

I'm still in the fight. Three months out from a trip to Kodiak right now. A good friend of mine who is a resident drew a great bear tag there and since he is not required to have a guide I'm going with him to help out. So I've been dieting and training for that.
Lots of walking and hiking with a pack and running has been my plan of attack here lately. I try to eat good but its a struggle for me. Mostly the beer drinking, love that stuff. Ha ha. Plus one of my other good friends owns a restaurant and brewery, that doesn't make it any easier to abstain. I'm definitely in better shape than I was, and I have found some success with lowering my carb intake. Mostly it's about eating good whole food in the right amounts and getting in some excersie, but at the end of the day YOU CAN'T OUT WORK A BAD DIET. You get skinny in the kitchen, you get fit in the gym

I'm still in the fight. Three months out from a trip to Kodiak right now. A good friend of mine who is a resident drew a great bear tag there and since he is not required to have a guide I'm going with him to help out. So I've been dieting and training for that.
Lots of walking and hiking with a pack and running has been my plan of attack here lately. I try to eat good but its a struggle for me. Mostly the beer drinking, love that stuff. Ha ha. Plus one of my other good friends owns a restaurant and brewery, that doesn't make it any easier to abstain. I'm definitely in better shape than I was, and I have found some success with lowering my carb intake. Mostly it's about eating good whole food in the right amounts and getting in some excersie, but at the end of the day YOU CAN'T OUT WORK A BAD DIET. You get skinny in the kitchen, you get fit in the gym
Thats a killer looking dog you got there...

My daughter and her boyfriend are both World Class Powerlifters and they train
all the time! They train at Westside in Columbus Ohio the powerlifting Mecca!
Dave bench presses 975 pounds I have the video! He holds several World Records at 308# body weight!..Staying in shape is a full time job!
They work their butts off! And their Pitbull is a muscle machine!!
Here's more on Dave..But his total is now 3015# for 3 lifts!
http://www.rxmuscle.com/strength-videos/9111-dave-hoff-breaks-all-time-equipped-total-3-005lbs.html

https://www.westside-barbell.com/blogs/staff/our-gym

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.