My get fit for elk plan

Thanks for the imput everyone, I am definitely learning about dieting. Knee isn't doing to good, think I need to fail it back alittle. Saw the surgeon he said no squats or lunges...he'll to be old and broken

I would think if you just worked on loosing the weight first. your knee might feel better., when you do a high protein diet they don't want you exercising till after you loose some weight anyways. muscle weights more than fat. work on 1 thing first. don't give up.

Keep up the progress Gary! Before I had two knee replacements 10yrs ago, swimming was the absolute best therapy for pain relief plus it's great cardio exercise. When the time is right consider a knee replacement; it's no fun but after about 6 months of exercise being pain free and mobile is great. Continue to picture the elk in your sights for motivation.

well guys, a little set back. My personal torturer was having me do squats leg presses and lunges...knee swelled up like a volleyball. Whent back to surgeon and he said STOP!!! told me to use elliptical machine only

Try using the elliptical trainers that use both your arms and legs to keep your calorie burning up while taking some of the stress off your knees.

I lost 70 lbs last year via diet and exercise (used an elliptical 4 days a week) one of the things that I had trouble with once I started hiking was descents.

The elliptical going forwards works your climbing muscles alright but when you start going downhill you realize that you need muscles in the sides of your legs that you aren't accustomed to using.

When you're feeling up to it, start working short sections of back pedaling in on the elliptical it will help.

Starches are the devil, that's all I'll say about diet.

Last edited:
Start out easy on yourself to lower risk of hurting joints or tendons.
Mon/Wed/Fri cardio: Go for a brisk 45-minute walk, preferably including up and down terrain.
Tues/Thurs/Sat muscular: Spend 30 minutes climbing up and down the local bleacher stairs (or a nice steep hill). Take regular short rests.

Step it up a little.
Mon/Wed/Fri cardio: Add short stints of jogging to your walk.
Tues/Thurs/Sat muscular: same 30-minute routine, just cut down on rest time

Start getting focused.
Mon/Wed/Fri cardio: Begin pushing yourself, walking less and jogging more.
Tues/Thurs/Sat muscular: Same 30-minute routine, add three squats and three lunges (don't use weights) alternately during short rest periods.

I saw the post for sandwich ingredients, dont use mayo (fat)or mustard which is loaded with sodium. Sodium, sugar and saturated fat put and keep the weight on. Use avocado as spread and add tomato, lettuce onion etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.