Long Action 6.5 PRC

I had a 65 PRC built on a long action and I think that's the preferred way to go especially for hand loaders. It lets you use the heavy for caliber bullets like the 156 EOL's and have zero issues with the right bottom metal
IMG_8891.jpeg

Looking to do a budget build. Thinking about a 6.5 PRC on a 307 action, but they don't offer a short action with a magnum bolt face. Can I use the long action? Not planning on using a box magazine so bottom metal shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned with the bullets feeding.
I have a Sako AIII in 300 Win Mag that I'm thinking about rebarreling to 6.5 PRC. I borrowed a few rounds from a buddy ,and they fed fine. Wouldn't cahmber due to how fat the PRC is ,but fed fine. Might need to get back on that project.

Not planning on using a box magazine so bottom metal shouldn't be a problem.
You could get a single shot action. Then it's length doesn't matter.
Use a magnum diameter action to get enough barrel steel around the chamber.
If you have it made for that diameter case it will feed correctly.
You might consider a BAT action

Looking to do a budget build. Thinking about a 6.5 PRC on a 307 action, but they don't offer a short action with a magnum bolt face. Can I use the long action? Not planning on using a box magazine so bottom metal shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned with the bullets feeding.
I understand that you want a budget build, but I am not sure why you have to use the 307 action if they don't offer the short action with mag bolt face? Maybe you should look at other makers (either full rifle makers, like Tikka, making amazing actions, or specialized action makers). Using a long (some call it "standard") action is a bit defeating the purpose of the 6.5 PRC being the only PRC designed to be used in a short action. I have a few aftermarket barrels on some of my rifles (300 Win Mag, 7 PRC), but I also have 2 Tikka T3x in 6.5 PRC, and they both shoot amazingly with factory barrels, 0.3-0.5 MOA at 100m consistently with handloads, also <7 MOA with good factory loads like Hdy Precision hunter. I simply did not see any good reason to rebarrel them. I handloaded Berger EOL 156 that still fit the mags (one has the Tikka polymer mag, the other an MDT 300WSM mag to go with the MDT chassis that I added to that one), and it feeds and shoots great. This is just an example (mine), but you do what works for you.

What's new is old again? I have to admit it's amusing to see 6.5 PRC owners switching to LA. Us 6.5 x 284 shooters have used that trick for years! Works great!!
SHHHHH!!! 6.5x284 on long action BAT Vampire feeds butter smooth. It's hard to tell if the mag is empty or you're still feeding in the last round. 156 Bergers shoot lights out! Just don't try it in a 6.5 PRC

I had a 65 PRC built on a long action and I think that's the preferred way to go especially for hand loaders. It lets you use the heavy for caliber bullets like the 156 EOL's and have zero issues with the right bottom metalView attachment 566251
Curious what magazine you are using and bottom metal.
I am wondering if I could build a 6.5 or 6PRC and run it as a 7PRC as well if I did it in a long action with a simple barrel swap

Curious what magazine you are using and bottom metal.
I am wondering if I could build a 6.5 or 6PRC and run it as a 7PRC as well if I did it in a long action with a simple barrel swap
I run the 156 and the 144 Bergers using a Hawkins M5 bottom metal and a 3 round 300RUM SSSF Accurate Mag. Never have had an issue. Call RedHawk they will steer you right. Hawkins also makes their Hunter M5 bottom metal now along with a mag that will work.

I also have a 270WSM built on a long action that uses the Hawkins Hunter bottom metal and mag with no issues.

Last edited:
Interesting imput on LA and SA bolts. I hadn't realizes the there could be problem using a LA with a SA type cases.

Recent Posts