Question for all

Unlike my friend memtb, I don't mind a brake. But we all have likes and dislikes

Yep, I developed a hate for brakes …..34+ years and my ears still ring! 😁 I shot my rifle twice on two different occasions, yes I'm not too bright, I shot mine in typical hunting conditions without hearing protection. A valid test, in my feeble mind, as I don't hunt with hearing protection.

I thought that I hated "cans" also……I've begun to "see the light" about the use of "cans"! They certainly have their place! memtb

Yep, I developed a hate for brakes …..34+ years and my ears still ring! 😁 I shot my rifle twice on two different occasions, yes I'm not too bright, I shot mine in typical hunting conditions without hearing protection. A valid test, in my feeble mind, as I don't hunt with hearing protection.

I thought that I hated "cans" also……I've begun to "see the light" about the use of "cans"! They certainly have their place! memtb
I certainly understand why some don't like brakes. When shooting for fun or attempting to develop a load I use hearing protection. While hunting I have hearing protection available but don't wear it. If it's a shot that I have time to set up on, I use the hearing protection. But if it happens fast I don't always use it. In my mind (and belive me there is a lot of unused space up there) I find radial brakes to be less noisy. So for my hunting rifles I use radial brakes. Yes I know I should use hearing protection and I'm probably just kidding myself.
And yes I wasn't real keen on cans. Probably more of a pay and wait for ever thing plus making my 26 inch barrel seem like a mile long. But after reading so much on this forum (my wife loves this forum) I have a couple shorter barrel builds and a can in jail for them. Hopefully I will get it someday. But I'm sure not holding my breath.

Guess I'm kind of confused...(not a surprise for me) but you mention having a "beautiful 6.5 Creed Savage. Guess my first thought is/was stick with that and go hunt!

Or are you wanting an additional rifle? I see a bunch of suggestions from short action rounds to long ones...?

I'm probably missing something eh?
The rifle I'm talking about is 23 lbs -a prs gun , a bit heavy to carry for hunting, just thinking about re-barreling it and a carbon stock

Most any decent 338 Federal cartridge rifle ,with a Sierra 215gr SBT at around 2,600fps, is probably gonna take on any game animal in Montana without too much weight, recoil,or money to complicate things.

Since you load your own, all the possibilities are open.
A creedmoor bolt face in a short? action doesn't leave many choices though.

If you want to try a Sherman, ADG brass and dies are available just like most any other cartridge.

Prepare for serious ballistic gains if you do! Hell you could drop down to 25 cal and not be disadvantaged. Or exceed the creed significantly with 6.5 SST, SS.

Good luck up there in Big Sky.

Last edited:
For me I like to stick with a few cals as possible. Since you have the 6.5 a prc version makes sense to me.

A lighter 6.5 creed would be my choice. Something you actually want to shoot, you already have all the tools for, and will kill just fine.

I would look at something with manageable on recoil unless you plan to shoot super long range.

6.5 CM
6.5PRC
7mm-08 or AI

The rifle I bought my 9yr old isn't heavy, probably 8.5lbs scopes in 6.5 PRC and it is super manageable on recoil. Even in a slightly lighter package it shouldn't be a smasher and should give you reasonable range.

I just looked at a Springfield Armory 2020 in 6.5 prc - some good reviews some not so good, wish they would come out with a 300 prc I'd be all about that

A lighter 6.5 creed would be my choice. Something you actually want to shoot, you already have all the tools for, and will kill just fine.
I've got 4 6.5 creeds one is barely I've 8 lbs with bipod and suppressor it's the Sig sauer cross

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 11