Let see those deer rifles

So just give both my deer rifles a good scrubbing both are semi custom build for Oregon blacktail deer and mule deer my 6.5-06 is the DM with 26" Lilja barrel (just built) my second gun in 260 Rem also Lilja barrel 24" both with timny triggers blue printed actions and Leupold VX5 3x15x44 HD scopes View attachment 181658View attachment 181659View attachment 181658View attachment 181659
My favorite whitetail gun is an Encore pistol in 250 Savage AI. So much easier than toting a rifle. Shoots just over 1/2" at 100. View attachment 181816
Nice, I was just thinking of building a 25 creedmoor ultra lightweight rifle, which is essentially a 250 savage ai. That'd be much easier to find a chambering in. The good ole classic that started it all IMO (don't think Creedmoor shooters will admit to it, and I'm one a 22&6 cm)

This was going to be one of my deer rifles. Probably lost it judging by that smile!!!!

Attachments

• 815574AA-8836-49B5-8EBA-69B58C87AF2C.jpeg
    815574AA-8836-49B5-8EBA-69B58C87AF2C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
  • 249A21B9-6CE5-4C5B-AF47-C0F36F87FFBA.jpeg
    249A21B9-6CE5-4C5B-AF47-C0F36F87FFBA.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 242
Let's try some old school. My father's 1903A3 Springfield pictured here after a thorough cleaning. He picked it up as a barreled action for $18.50 after WWII. I'll bet it has had 1500 rounds through it, but still pus three 180 grain Remington Corel-Lokts within an inch at 100. I've not been able to develop a load that it shoots better so why I stopped trying. The stories it could tell.
View attachment 181813
One of my dad's friends gave him a Springfield 03 customized - with a beautiful blond stock/cheekpiece, Timney trigger and a match barrel. I knew none of that growing up - just that it shot ragged holes if I had a good rest. :)
We hunted at about 5,000 feet - in thick timber in Southern Oregon usually - for Mulies - so he carried the .06 with a 3x9 Simmons scope - while I carried the Model 94 Winchester lever action - in .32 Special - with a fixed 4 power Weaver - which worked fine for young eyes - and a 170 grain rounded/soft tip bullet worked just fine for anything.
/QUOTE]

So just give both my deer rifles a good scrubbing both are semi custom build for Oregon blacktail deer and mule deer my 6.5-06 is the DM with 26" Lilja barrel (just built) my second gun in 260 Rem also Lilja barrel 24" both with timny triggers blue printed actions and Leupold VX5 3x15x44 HD scopes

Photos from the field last season. 7 SS Proof Barrel, Lone Peak Fuzion Ti SA, MCS PRS 1 stock. ZCO 420 in ARC rings. Helped pinch a couple mule deer tags in OR and WA and an OR cougar tag.
CF6F762E-21C5-498A-BB16-493B0BAB1060.jpeg
4D945903-ECDD-4B95-A50B-99C5CD32F726.jpeg
5B084539-867F-4F90-8E3F-0E5B9B58D72F.jpeg

So OK, here is my "deer" rifle that I bought new in 1968 when I turned 18. Big upgrade from the spears I was using back then. Savage 110C .270 Win that I recently rebarreled with SS Shaw barrel. Even though old walnut stock, it still can shoot pretty darn good with 130BT's at 3050 fps (love RL16 in .270!). Interesting story with this rifle that is nice homage to Savage back then. The first weekend I went hunting, I fell in a covered over dry artesian well hole (thats what it looked like) in the Adirondack Mountains. Cracked stock at the tang. If I wasn't 18 probably broke leg. OMG heartbroken is not even a close description that you can describe a 18 year old kid that saved up to buy the "rifle" for deer hunting. I brought it back to gun shop where I purchased it the following week and as luck would have it, the Savage rep was coming in that week. I left the rifle with expectation of having to pay for new stock and more. Couple weeks go by and I got a call from the gun shop that my rifle was back in. I asked how much and he said come in and will discuss. So grabbed as much cash as I could and went there expecting the worse. Savage was told the story, restocked the rifle with decent walnut stock "No Charge" with comment "go hunting"! I wish I kept that paperwork but as kid it was lost over time.

So 51 years later, I still take it out and look at a walnut stock with a big smile. Killed this doe at 220 yards this past season and rifle has so many memories in it that I like to take it out when I can.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 213
So OK, here is my "deer" rifle that I bought new in 1968 when I turned 18. Big upgrade from the spears I was using back then. Savage 110C .270 Win that I recently rebarreled with SS Shaw barrel. Even though old walnut stock, it still can shoot pretty darn good with 130BT's at 3050 fps (love RL16 in .270!). Interesting story with this rifle that is nice homage to Savage back then. The first weekend I went hunting, I fell in a covered over dry artesian well hole (thats what it looked like) in the Adirondack Mountains. Cracked stock at the tang. If I wasn't 18 probably broke leg. OMG heartbroken is not even a close description that you can describe a 18 year old kid that saved up to buy the "rifle" for deer hunting. I brought it back to gun shop where I purchased it the following week and as luck would have it, the Savage rep was coming in that week. I left the rifle with expectation of having to pay for new stock and more. Couple weeks go by and I got a call from the gun shop that my rifle was back in. I asked how much and he said come in and will discuss. So grabbed as much cash as I could and went there expecting the worse. Savage was told the story, restocked the rifle with decent walnut stock "No Charge" with comment "go hunting"! I wish I kept that paperwork but as kid it was lost over time.

So 51 years later, I still take it out and look at a walnut stock with a big smile. Killed this doe at 220 yards this past season and rifle has so many memories in it that I like to take it out when I can.
Great!!!,
There are rifles with which one falls in love and could not change it, nor sell it ever in life.
Regards
V

GREAT STORY. Nickels mattered back then - and I saved to buy a weight lifting setup from Sears - early 60's - mowing lawns, etc - about $15 total on my part - - big money for a 12 year old - and Dad kicked in the other $15. Gained 45 lbs of muscle - helped in hs football :)

Ok, I'll play.

Turned the barrel (what a pain) from an Obermeyer blank, topped with a NXS 2.5x10. Scope mount is a Navy designed one with the front ring sandwiched between barrel and receiver, rear part sits inside the rear sight pocket with 2 bolts vlamping it through the ears. Receiver is heel stamped Polytech. Surefire suppressor.

View attachment 181899
I had two of those poly techs over the years. They can be made to shoot. Last one I had shot right at .75 MOA with Hornady TAP ammo