I Know This Is LRH... But What Is The Shortest Distance You Have Taken A Live Target?

About a foot off the end of the barrel for me .
Hunting javelina with my grandfather's interarms 243 before I completely re- built it into a 7-08 . I had shot one in the same spot 7 years earlier with my bow . I was on one side of the brush and saw them coming right to me . No need to use the scope I shot from the hip . Pig made a quarter turn and done. It was about a 20 minute hunt . The older guy I passed on the way in was in disbelief as the hadn't seen anything.

About 15 yds on a whitetail. I was standing at the top of an abandoned train trestle, and he walked to the bottom of the creek, and pulled the gun up, saw brown in the scope and shot. Found the bullet when we capes him, broke shoulders/spine, but didn't exit. 150 gr swift out of a 300 RUM.

Attachments

• 166A482D-22D1-426B-A829-2B966F08655E.jpeg
    166A482D-22D1-426B-A829-2B966F08655E.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 42
This thread reminded me of my deceased brother's story he told after coming into camp after a day of deer hunting. He shared how he found a nice trail on the side of a hill in the deep hardwoods, and nearby, he scraped off the ground leaves by a large oak and took a seat. As the warming morning sun rose higher to mid-morn, he dozed off. Sometime later, he half woke to the sound of a snapping twig, and when he opened his eyes, a doe was staring him in the eyes and sniffing maybe a foot away. It startled him so much, he screamed at the deer.

Last edited:
My closest kill was the width of a row of corn. I was about 19, walking to my stand through corn headrows during peak rut and saw a blur of brown cross about 40 yards ahead of me. I peaked into next row and saw a good buck walking briskly at me. I stepped one row back knocked and barely got to full draw when he got to me, he turned his head wide-eyed and saw me, as he began turning away from me to run I let it go. Looked down the row as he was running away and saw my arrow sticking out of both sides of him. To this day I can't believe that I was able to pull it off in that short order. If my arrow would not have been drawn it would have been touching him with my arm extended, I actually felt the impact in my left arm as it hit him. Probably why my arrow didn't go through, I don' think it left the string before it hit.

I live up in the Ozark Mountains and there are trees everywhere here, therefore we get extremely few shots past 100 yds on deer, but that also means that deer can come right up on you in no time without you even realizing it.

My shortest shot that I have ever taken a whitetail deer is about 5 feet! Yep, 1.666 yds with a crossbow. What is your shortest shot?

View attachment 569619 This isn't the doe I shot at 5ft, but it shows how close they get.