What is this? Do you know?

Eaglet

Marlon, my second son, and his friend got deer tags for Nevada. We hunted from Monday 13th to the Friday 17th. We saw about 32 animals but only two bucks, a spike and a forked horn. We did not get anything. I figured I give you some pictures since we did have some quality time with my son and he did let me know he loved his dad. That's good enough for me. Marlon is 24 y/o, a communication supervisor for the Sheriff department in Carson City.

28047pu.jpg

In this photo, we had a rifle sling but I forgot the screw that holds the sling, yep that's bad! I know! So I came up with this set up by taking Marlon's sweater out of the pocket and place the rifle stock in it. Then placed the sweater behind Marlon's neck. It would have taken about 3 or 4 seconds for me to break it loose. Marlon by himself would have been in trouble.
I was impressed to feel how heavy his backpack was!

2myt3y9.jpg

Does any one have an idea what kind of bug this is? It's about 1.250" long.
qn4or6.jpg
2zgsxat.jpg

We all have to photograph some kind of sun set. One photo was exposed for the sky and the second was exposed for the foreground resulting in this composition. Just quick hand held work.

2hd3d5u.jpg

It was a pleasure using the Swarovski that geargrinder loaned to me. First time ever to use one. I really liked it. At the end of the hunt a big boulder at 1112 yards had a small black spot about center mass; I let two rounds fly and I was very pleased with the results. I think the Swarovski goes nicely right along with my Nightforce 5.5-22X56.

Last edited:
It's an "Earth Baby", or that's what I've always heard them called. It's a Jerusalem Cricket.

In Wyoming we call them Sand Crickets, You find them mostly in areas with lots of damp sand. Big ugly and nasty and they will pinch you.

I don't know what their biological name is, but I have always been told there called a Potato Bug. That's my 2 cents.

Don't know, but would have guessed it was an uninvited guest at a Barry Bonds picnic.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.