How critical is scope level?

I'll jump in... bullet coriolis! If you have a RIGHT twist barrel which way would you twist the scope to account for the coriolis of the bullet ; clockwise or counter clockwise ?
Corialis is the earths rotation. You are referring to spin drift. That is compensated for with your wind age turret

Here is a quick test at 100 yards after my gun tipped over on the bipod. The level of the scope was adjusted from the fall.

That's roughly .3-.5 off at 25 MOA. So if we are talking 1000 yards, your going to be of 3-5" just because you're not level.

Attachments

• IMG_9213.JPG
    IMG_9213.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 156
Here is a quick test at 100 yards after my gun tipped over on the bipod. The level of the scope was adjusted from the fall.

That's roughly .3-.5 off at 25 MOA. So if we are talking 1000 yards, your going to be of 3-5" just because you're not level.

You can see before the fall It was spot on.

Attachments

• IMG_7656.JPG
    IMG_7656.JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 155
Most everyone understands that the crosshairs on a scope and barrel center vertical alignment are ultra critical for shooting longe range. My question is this. If you have a scope height of 1.75" above barrel center, in a perfect world, how much would 1 degree of left or right cant while shooting effect point of impact at 1000yds? 1 degree in 1.75" is .031". Perfect world, no elements

Thanks
Very critical
Angle imparts changes to external ballistics

I like what I've read about levelling the scope/reticle. Unsure how to make rifle level without special tools...I've used a small level sitting on a machinist type 6" rule resting in the action before. Are there more exact ways?

Most everyone understands that the crosshairs on a scope and barrel center vertical alignment are ultra critical for shooting longe range. My question is this. If you have a scope height of 1.75" above barrel center, in a perfect world, how much would 1 degree of left or right cant while shooting effect point of impact at 1000yds? 1 degree in 1.75" is .031". Perfect world, no elements

Thanks

Why the discussion at 1000 yards? My experience is with a single load and a single rifle. We can talk in variables but if the question is criticality of a level you have to create a constant to measure the impact. My personal experience is based on hunting Antelope in Wyoming where shots can be out to 500 yards with 300 to 400 being the norm. At the 200 yard range using my 25-06 with 117 Sierra Game King and 52 grains of 4831SC, I found that without the level I can deviate as much as 4 inches one way or another. Admittedly there may be some wind but with only 200 yards it is not that much impact. The results with the rifle in a sled using a Vortex level I found the gun and load to be consistent at less than 1 inch at 200 yards. My personal belief is that if you shoot past 200 yards then the level is something that you cannot be without, especially since the cost is only about $25.

There are 2 different questions being answered here. The one is whether the scope is being held level which is critically important and the other is whether the scope is mounted perfectly level with the bore axis which even being off 3 degrees is going to be off less than an inch at 1,000 yards.

Last edited:
Installing a level perfectly is still only as good as the person using it.
Perform a tall target test and learn where exactly you need the bubble to be on the level.
Especially on bubbles atop the scope ring nearest the eye, you are looking at it with a sharp angle with your off eye, the bubble may look in the middle while behind the scope but if you sit up it may be to one side when you look down on it squarely.
Hopefully that makes sense

There are 2 different questions being answered here. The one is whether the scope is being held level which is critically important and the other is whether the scope is mounted perfectly level with the bore axis which even being off 3 degrees is going to be off less than an inch at 1,000 yards.
By my math if your scope is canted 3° with a 200 inch drop, you would be 1 foot off and 1.7 inches low at 1000 yards, not "less than an inch"
If you have a gun that drops more, sag 400 inches at 1000 you could be off as much as 2 feet and low about 4 inches.

I like what I've read about levelling the scope/reticle. Unsure how to make rifle level without special tools...I've used a small level sitting on a machinist type 6" rule resting in the action before. Are there more exact ways?
I have a kit that I put together myself that works incredible. contact [email protected] if you want to know more...

I have been lurking on this site for about a year , the members on here have a ton of knowledge . I can sit and read these posts for hours on end , having said that , I live in Canada , i've been hunting and shooting for a long time ( only out to 500 yds ) and I don't have a chance to shoot through the winter as the range is closed at my club , my poi first thing is the spring isn't close to what it is by fall and I do use a level . Practice , practice , practice .

Thanks for all the knowledge

By my math if your scope is canted 3° with a 200 inch drop, you would be 1 foot off and 1.7 inches low at 1000 yards, not "less than an inch"
If you have a gun that drops more, sag 400 inches at 1000 you could be off as much as 2 feet and low about 4 inches.
You are answering question one. You would be correct answering that question but Question 2 is much less significant. Having your scope level is not the same as having it level to the bore axis.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.