Help me pick a pistol

Model 29 S&W with 6" barrel Maga Ported.

Attachments

• Maganaport Model 29 SW.jpg
    Maganaport Model 29 SW.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Maganaport Model 29.jpg
    Maganaport Model 29.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 28
30yd is pretty close. A revolver in anything 357 Mag or up, a semi in 10mm, 45 Super, or 460 Rowland, or a single shot in any of a long list of cartridges will do well. I'd worry more about legality in the states you hunt than anything else.

If you're into single action revolvers Rugers are very good. BFRs are a solid choice, and available in a wide range of cartridges. Nothing beats a Freedom Arms revolver, but you'll pay for it. I don't shoot DAs so I can't help there.

For single shots, CVA makes some good, inexpensive options. An SSK-50 is a good choice if you want a Contender. There's no need to go for something like an XP-100 for the short game.

As far as semis, pick your poison. Glocks and 1911s are the most common platforms. There's plenty of other options that'll work well too.

At 30 yards or less, it doesn't really matter what you use.
Just need about 7 inches of sight radius and any caliber from 38 Super on up. If you're using an optic, you could even shorten up the sight radius and still get the job done.

Tony

I'm with others here. I have a Ruger Redhawk, 5.5", .44 mag with irons and had no problem blasting a Muley doe from about that distance. Irons work just fine at 30 yards and beyond depending on your range time with the firearm.

Alternatively, if you want to use an auto loader, I'd go 10mm. Many options in that caliber nowadays…choose your poison.

I'd say throw a red dot on there, but I've actually had issues with red dots on my Glock 19 I used as a sidearm while hunting a very snowy opener. I could not keep snow and fog out of the window. We're talking MT big dumper, wading through 2' of snow. I have suppressor irons on the 19 that cowitness. But….they didn't work either as I could not keep the window visibly clean. Something to consider. Now, if it was my primary weapon, perhaps I would have carried it differently? My main consideration was carrying my rifle and keeping the scope clean. Otherwise, I love the new age of red dots on pistols and would recommend that setup in most circumstances.