Help me pick a pistol

6" or longer 686 Smith & Wesson with 158 XTP's
Ditto for a S&W 44 Magnum = 240 XTP's or Sierra's 240 grain JHP

If you want to start with a single-shot specialty pistol, and enable there too :)
Agree with Ernie for the two revolver calibers for sure. OR you could go with a Contender and 357 MAX 10 inch barrel. You could use 357 Mag for short range and step up to 357 MAX if you decide to go longer. But I must admit, I am a Contender NUT LOL
Safe shooting
Doug

Last edited:
6" or longer 686 Smith & Wesson with 158 XTP's
Ditto for a S&W 44 Magnum = 240 XTP's or Sierra's 240 grain JHP

If you want to start with a single-shot specialty pistol, I can enable there too :)
I was surprised you recommended a revolver. What type of accuracy would you expect at 30 yrds with one?

Super Red Hawk in .44 Mag. and stainless steel. I wouldn't bother with the standard if you want an optic on it. With the Super you can either mount a scope or a rail for a red dot. At 30 yards I wouldn't think a 1" group would be too unlikely at all. The Rugers may not be as "fine" as the S&W but it's a stout pistol that will stand up to field use. The triggers are easy to refine with a bit of polishing here and there and the single action trigger is as good as any Smith out there! Having had a couple of Smith's I now down to a 5.5" standard RH but should have gotten the Super 6 or 8"! Still, it's a pretty good shooter and I don't have any major regrets getting it! I did mount a rail on it and now has a red dot but I haven't shot it much... too many other projects in the works!
Cheers,
crkckr

PS There is nothing "wrong" with the Smith, other than I found them to a bit "delicate" for field work. Almost too nice to take out and maybe get scratched up while rooting thru the brush looking for a good spot or seeking a shot deer. Maybe it's just me, but I find the Ruger is simply more robust.

Last edited:
With a well tuned wheelgun the firearm is capable of 1-1.5" at 50 yards. The rest is up to you.
My Model 27 8 3/8" does 2"-3" with open sights. I have a 629 8 3/8" that had a scope I just removed. Loaded some but have yet to test. First is 357 msg, second is 44 msg. I prefer the 357 for this purpose

Last edited:
I was surprised you recommended a revolver. What type of accuracy would you expect at 30 yrds with one?
Chris already answered the accuracy part.
I recommended a revolver because we are only looking at 30 yards maximum on whitetail deer.
With any kind of field rest (And for some, offhand), with a optic, 30 yards should be fairly easy in most circumstances.
I recommended the S&W's because you can get their trigger pulls down way better than other double action revolvers.
With these distances, there is no need to run the ammo hard either, so the need for a very robust action is not needed.

If you are going to limit your range to 30 yards, and if you have to have an optic, you might look at a red dot rather than a scope. I think it would be way less hassle at that relatively close range.

Although I know a guy who has killed a couple of elk with a 357, I would lean towards a 44.