Help me pick a pistol

IMG_4773.jpeg

I'm going to try some Barnes 140 XPB and H110. Any reason not to start near Max load? How do I gauge success shooting at 50 yards? Group size?
Hit a crab apple sitting on a post at 50 yards , close enuff to go huntN.

Yup, or a pop can. I work toward 1 to 1.25" at 20-25 yds with a handgun from a rest. I shoot cast, so I have lapped a barrel or two to get the accuracy I want. That usually helps with any bullet/load.

I'd like to start hunting whitetail deer with a pistol.
My max range will be 30 yds and I would like to use an optic
I am an experienced rifle hand loader

What would be a good place to start?
Do you own pistols now? If so, do you prefer single or double action revolvers? 30 yds is a short distance, so I would think optics aren't really required? Either way most single- or double action revolvers can accomodate a red dot/ optic.

For what you describe, my old dog-legged Ruger superBH in .44 mag, 7 1/2" bbl is perfect. .357 - .41. or .44 are fine calibers. 45 ACP 10MM, even .38 Supers if you're stuck on autos. Again, if you are not trying to pull an Elmer Kieth move and take game WELLPAST 100, your options are near unlimited at sub 50 yards.

PS While Mr Keith may not condone this, my "test" is to lay all my rounds into a 9" paper plate (akin to a deer's boileroom) @ 50 yards. With 100% accuracy. If I can't, the rifleman takes one of the "one shots" with me. Which is what i've been doing. Plus, i do mostly need optics for precision shots on game anymore so another reason. I didn't want to outfit my neat old .44 wheelgun with optics. I'd go TC Contender style maybe if I did buy a dedicated pistol for deer hunting rig, or another .44 mag in SS but w/ a red dot or holosite.

As an solider during the Army's old skool Keep-it-simple method days, out in the field I do have a preference for revolvers. ( even though I carry semis for concealed pd and have a BDX scope linked to my phone/rangefinder for my long range kit)

PLUS, I WAY prefer reloading straight-walled cartridges to any others, as most do. Semi-auto pistol is my least favorite. Although my duty-sized Sig P220 in ,45ACP will pull your hunting duty with ease, for example for CC, carry loads, I don't use reloads. I do have failures with .45 / 9 handloads once in a bit. NEVER with my .44s, in either "full house" or "cowboy" version loaded down to .44 Special specs w lead heads, which are a joy to shoot and drill with. Yet again, for short range deer duty .38 super, 10mm, 45 acp are fine I would think although I am guessing on the 38 super and dont know about 40. I would NOT hunt deer with my 9mm unless it was survival.

With the 44 and others, you can dial down the loads for lots more comfortable practice if you are not a pistolero yet. I also shoot lead heads out of my 9mm with only 3 grains of red dot. ( polish those feed ramps!)

I saw an old .454 Casull by Freedom Arms up on GB. As a reloader, we can tame that beast to be suitable for thin-skinned whitetail @ 50m easy.

As I said, your options are vast. To include an accurate .44 Walker/Colt blackpowder gun @ 30 yds even! well, if such a beast exists.

No matter the choice, Drill and become proficient - even with my non Elmer Keith-approved 9" paper plates @ 50 yds drill. Yet, for the record, I only hunt with long rifles anymore, and have never harvested a deer with my .44. ...so fwiw. I am almost a "natural rifleman" ( well hey I'm Ukrainian so...) but my pistol skills definitely need constant drill to stay relevant. so....my one cents worth.

Last edited:
Do you own pistols now? If so, do you prefer single or double action revolvers? 30 yds is a short distance, so I would think optics aren't really required? Either way most single- or double action revolvers can accomodate a red dot/ optic.

For what you desicribe, my old dog-legged Ruger superB in .44 mag, 7 1/2" bbl is perfect. .357 - .41. or .44 are fine calibers. 45 ACP 10MM, even .38 Supers if you're stuck on autos. Again, if you are not trying to pull an Elmer Kieth move and take game WELLPAST 100, your options are near unlimited.

As an old gen sf-solider, I like the Keep-it-simple method out in the field. Hence a orefernce for revolvers ( even though I carry semis for pd)

PLUS, I WAY prefer relaading straight-walled cartridges to any others, as most do. Semi-auto semi-rimless my least favorite.

I saw an old .454 Casull by Freedom Arms up on GB. As a reloader, we can tame that beast to be suitable for thin-skinned whitetail @ 50m easy.
See posts #59 and #60. It seems like the gun & caliber are selected.

As enablers, we have been successful once again.

My anaconda (44 mag) has been a great weapon for deer, hogs and bear. It has the 8' barrel and loves my hand loads. It can have optics mounted as well. I also have a 686 with a scope in 357 that has taken its fair share as well, but I find the anaconda to be more kind to my wrist and ears (with muffs) over the 357.
I had an Anaconda years ago and in a fit of insanity I sold it, regretted it ever since. Best trigger I've ever pulled on a factory revolver. Oh well live and learn….🤔

Recent Posts