Hammer Hunter in 270?

I just finished loading, for a .270. Basically, start at a comfortable magazine length, and I'd be more. concerned about jamming a bullet, than jump.
Essentially, in that process, we were less than a box of shells into a sub MOA load, sighted in, and meat on the ground.
I think the shooter said he has 38 rounds left, so I think 12 is the actual number, but certainly less than 20.
Still waiting to see a rifle get fussy about jump with the Hammer's.

The reason I ask is because my mag is long enough that if I load mag length I'm jamming the bullet into the rifling.
So Make a dummy round if that's not what your doing already( no powder or pimer). From the crush point when you barely feel it on bolt, stop. Now turn your die in a turn or so and try again. Reset the bullet in the dummy round and try to rechamber very gently, always feeling for the premature bolt stop. When you think you are right there, dust the bullet or sharpie it with marker. Did it leave a ring or marks from the lands rather. This will get you to exact. Then you can back off the lands from there as you see fit. Hope this helped. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get all this " hammered out":D

The reason I ask is because my mag is long enough that if I load mag length I'm jamming the bullet into the rifling.
If you want, copy your favorite factory load, or look up the longest COAL listed for a 270 in Nosler's info. Use that to start, and you can't go wrong.

you Mentioned you are just getting into reloading, if I read it all right. AWESOME!
Our tools are usually pretty basic when starting out, mine are were.( getting better)
If you chose to use the method I described, a third of a turn on the die is what I usually use till I want it to the Knats.
A good dial caliper is very helpful, good luck

Along with a caliper, a bullet puller is also very handy. Helps ya get bullets back from dummy rounds that went to far. And loads you or your gun might not like. The powder and bullet savings will catch the cost of the puller faster than imagined. This is a little off topic but ...

Edited cuz grammer is horrible, specially before coffee

Last edited: