Hammer Hunter in 270?

I'm coming in late to this Hammer Bullet thread, So, is there any published loading data fir the Hammer bullets? Seems like there should be some dats other than peoples loads.

Do the leave excess copper fouling?

I have a 20" Proof Research, 1-10 twist custom 6.5 Creedmoor and a 1-10 twist factory Remington 700 BDL .270 made in 1995 so its gotta good barrel and shoots factory Hornady Whitetail Hunters 130gr in an inch.

I tried the Cutting Edge line with absolutely no luck as far as accuracy, 2" groups, in a rifle which would shoot 1/2 " with my reloads.

I LOVE to try all the latest and greatest but since getting burned on the high dollar Cutting Edge, I'm skeptical of all the miracle bullets.

So, Steve or anyone experienced with the Hammers. Give me some data and suggestions on which Hammers to buy. Most of my hunting is in Texas for Whitetail and Axis, Black Buck to 300ish yards. I also do allot of long range shooting on steel targets. I use the Hornady chamber tool to measure where the bullet touches the lands, so where is a good starting place, .20 off ?
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG

Sorry no published load data specific to Hammers yet. Nosler data for like weight bullets will line up well. If you need help finding start loads I will be happy to help.

For your 10" twist 270 my choice would be the 133g Sledge Hammer.

Your 26 cal is a 10" twist? We have not made a bullet at this point in the .264 cal that is designed for a 1-10" our faster twist. We could design a new bullet in the Sledge Hammer style that would be about 100g that would work for you.

Copper fouling is very minimal and a good starting oal would be .02" of the lands If your magazine will allow it. Otherwise they are not particular to starting depth and very rarely need any seating depth adjustment to gain accuracy.

Steve

Last edited:
sorry Steve, my 6.5 creed is 1-8 twist...DUH !!!!

I load the 143 ELDX and 140 Berger VLDH in the 6.5

LOVE tiny groups

I' develop loads after deer season as I didnt have this new rifle in time to really develop a load. The shorter barrel sometimes is a challenge for velocity without sticky bolt etc.

I'm getting 2645fps with 41.5 RL-16

will shoot supressed as soon as the gov. lets my can out of jail.

Last edited:
sorry Steve, my 6.5 creed is 1-8 twist...DUH !!!!
Haha. I wondered. Your hunting range of 300y does not require a bullet with better bc. So if it were me choosing a hunting bullet I would choose the 117g Sledge Hammer. Since you would like to play at long range targets as well the 124g Hammer Hunter will extend your range for play.

We have been working on a line of target bullets that we should be able to get back after here in the next week or two. Hunting season has slowed us down a bit. These bullets will be without a hollow point thus less expensive than the hunting bullets. You could always have a target load and a hunting load for the same rifle. Just keep track of your turrets for re setting zero from one bullet to the other.

Steve

yes, with the BDC turret set for my current load. I can get Swaro to make another one

look back at my post i edited it with more info

yes, with the BDC turret set for my current load. I can get Swaro to make another one

look back at my post i edited it with more info
The heaviest bullet that we make that will work in the 8" twist is our 139g Sledge Hammer. Being a Sledge Hammer it has a 2.5mm hollow point and is not designed for higher bc. It is simply designed for normal range hunting (under 400y in the Creed) with high weight retention and hard hitting very quick bullet deformation.

For the Creedmore and the ranges that you are talking about hunting I would still choose the 117g Sledge Hammer. You should be able to see over 3000fps, even with a short barrel. Impact vel is often overlooked in hunting bullets, or even avoided. With most of the lead core hunting bullets this makes sense if you intend to eat the game. High vel impacts and lead do not go well together. It tends to destroy meat and lead to bullet failure when they come apart and do not penetrate deep enough. Hammer Bullets do not have any trouble with high vel impacts. They will retain the same amount of weight regardless of impact vel. Higher vel impact simply result in more dramatic kills and do not result in excessive meat loss. If you wind up needing a shoulder shot due to the shot angle you don't have to worry about bullet performance if it hits a bone. It will still retain the same weight and will go through the bone. You will not see the whole shoulder go in the can like you would with a lead core bullet.

At normal ranges like you are dealing with I would not be afraid to shoot anything on the North American Continent that has legs, (Short of the big bears with long claws) with the 117g Sledge Hammer.

Steve

Sadly I haven't had time to shoot them yet. I've got some loaded up but with work, rain, and hunting I just haven't had time. :( :(:mad::confused:

understandable! i should be taking delivery of some 133s early this week for a tikka 270win. What powders are you going to try? I was going to start with the standard 4831sc and H4350. Some of the RL powders sound interesting, no experience though