Great discussion.

I bet I can find close to 100 videos.

Of course no one shares poor shots and poor performances. But nobody does that with larger cartridges either lol. And there’s probably more of those, because more people shoot bigger cartridges and bullets for elk.

These videos just show what is actually capable with a proper bullet and proper shot placement, caliber aside.

maurice-moss-fire-extinguisher.gif

The train wrecks never get posted. I’m sure we can find videos of someone dumping a bull with a 17hmr if we looked hard enough!
Yes I’m sure you could lol.

I specifically look for vital shots, to see the actual effectiveness of the bullet. A DRT shot doesn’t show much. There’s a bunch of those with all calibers.

But seeing a bullet placed properly in the vitals and how long the animal takes to expired is a good way to make an honest assessment.

26 seconds is a loooong time, if the elk runs after he’s hit.
It sure is. And there is absolutely no guarantee when you shoot them in the vitals with a 338 that they won’t live for 26 seconds. Its been videod plenty of times.

Shooting for a central nervous system shot, the bigger the better. Shooting for the lungs, it doesn’t seem to matter much.

How about the cow that was dead in 5 seconds? Or the bull that actually DID RUN for 20 seconds and covered a whole 50 yards?

26 seconds is a loooong time, if the elk runs after he’s hit.

338 Lapua at close range, with a perfect shot at probably the most devastating angle possible. Still ran out of frame for who knows how long?

Here’s another 338. Lived long enough that they had to edit the clip to shorten it.

I imagine for "normal" range shots 400 yards or so, anything will get it done. How fast, depends on bullet and velocity. As you stretch it out, heavies become more forgiving carrying that velocity allowing bullet upset.

I witness a 175gr 338 with an impact velocity of over 3050, it was quite impressive, DRT and didn't twitch, but WT aren't big critters.

Curious if a smaller 6.5 moving faster would be just as effective.

People on the small gun band wagon haven’t killed enough animals. Plan for the worst you can kill a elk with 10/22 i know done it. Ive said it many times animals are no different then we are some have glass chin some got the will to live. That being said disruption of nervous system does more damage instantly then given credit. In all videos you can see the amount of energy dumped into a animal with big guns vrs small. The argument you can shoot small gun better is partially true. I shoot a lot like others here. I can shoot my 22 creed better then my 338 lapua improved but i bet i can shoot that lapua improved better then most can shoot that creed. Because i get out and shoot. Downside to all of this is guys will read this stuff thinking 6 creedmoor is good elk gun and now will go find out hardway

People on the small gun band wagon haven’t killed enough animals. Plan for the worst you can kill a elk with 10/22 i know done it. Ive said it many times animals are no different then we are some have glass chin some got the will to live. That being said disruption of nervous system does more damage instantly then given credit. In all videos you can see the amount of energy dumped into a animal with big guns vrs small. The argument you can shoot small gun better is partially true. I shoot a lot like others here. I can shoot my 22 creed better then my 338 lapua improved but i bet i can shoot that lapua improved better then most can shoot that creed. Because i get out and shoot. Downside to all of this is guys will read this stuff thinking 6 creedmoor is good elk gun and now will go find out hardway
I think people can make their own decisions with the info provided. If you suck at shooting and are going to hunt anyways, it’s more important to shoot something you can
actually manage. Because the right bullet is going to kill if you put it in the right spot. And it’s easier to put in the right spot if you aren’t scared of the recoil and have the ability to practice more.

If you shoot 1000 rounds of Lapua every year and have no issues maintaining great accuracy and shot placement in field conditions and awkward positions, the bigger the better.

There’s a spectrum of shooters, and a spectrum of calibers. The most important part is putting a proper bullet in a proper spot. A huge bullet in a poor spot is far worse than a small, but still effective bullet in a perfect spot.

I’ve seen lapua shoot elk in the *** and kill it let me know when 6.5 creedmoor does this
That’s besides the point. Making dog **** shots with a cannon isn’t anything special lol. Maybe if the guy could actually handle the gun or got within a range he could call the wind within 3 feet he’d be better off lol.

I shot an elk in the *** with a 28 Nosler. Thought I hit him with the first shot, so I sent another one on the run. Only hit him with the second shot apparently. Killed him also. There’s plenty of arteries back there’s to rupture, and any good bullet can do it.

Recent Posts