Great discussion.

I’ve seen lapua shoot elk in the *** and kill it let me know when 6.5 creedmoor does this
You are kinda proving his point with the poor shot placement thing 🤷

My opinion on the cartridge and bullet choice debate is.... find a balanced cartridge that isn't kicking your butt everytime you shoot, so that you don't develop a flinch, and practice shooting as much as possible. Not 3 sighter shots before a hunt, actual practice at the distances you might shoot.

That doesn't mean just go shoot a .223 or .243, that means find whats right for you. Every shooter is different and some can manage 30 cal mag levels of recoil just fine. But if a .223 or 6mm is all you can shoot accurately than so be it.
A well placed 6mm is better than a gut shot 30 cal. Know your limitations and maybe don't think because some internet know-it-all said it will work means its gospel.

Also, whats with the cloak and dagger stuff? Why hide your voice?

Thats the point though these guys are discussing perfect shots everything going right your 6 creedmoor is all you need. There not talking about hurricane winds snow blowing sideways you just sprinted to top of hill and there he is at 300 yards. You mess up a little shoot it in shoulder or gut shoot it. This is real world scenarios and in both those big gun will win every time… you can screw up a shot just as easy in heat of moment with small gun

Thats the point though these guys are discussing perfect shots everything going right your 6 creedmoor is all you need. There not talking about hurricane winds snow blowing sideways you just sprinted to top of hill and there he is at 300 yards. You mess up a little shoot it in shoulder or gut shoot it. This is real world scenarios and in both those big gun will win every time… you can screw up a shot just as easy in heat of moment with small gun
A well practiced guy with his “effective enough” gun/cartridge of choice that he shot 1000 rounds with that year from field positions and different scenarios isn’t going to screw it up near as often the random dude that bought a 6lb kimber mountain ascent in 338 win mag because “that’s the only thing that’ll kill an elk”.

The average guy seriously sucks at shooting. It’s not even a question. And I mean SUCKS. They do not need a cannon to exacerbate all 20 of their shooting flaws.

From how i see it its a discussion on what bullet and what caliber will kill. Hands down lapua wins over anything smaller. Now discussing shooter’s capabilities is different argument thats not gun or bullets fault. And all of them require practice or should anyway. Should buy right tool and learn too use it.

338 Lapua at close range, with a perfect shot at probably the most devastating angle possible. Still ran out of frame for who knows how long?

Here’s another 338. Lived long enough that they had to edit the clip to shorten it.

My longest elk kill track job, was a perfect 10 ring pass through with a razor sharp Xodus. BUT, he was spooked. Had winded me and was bolting, when a cow call made him hesitate. He expired in 15 to 20 seconds. That’s a long run through thick timber.

Every other one with my bow was calm and dead in 3-4 seconds with no tracking needed.

Only one with a rifle. Broke both shoulders. No tracking. If I rifle hunt elk again, that will be my goal.

They’re discussing bullet and caliber performance correct? Just getting on same page here
Bullet Types.

Wound Channels caused by those bullets.

Wound channels from caliber and velocity.

Measured hit rates from people shooting larger calibers vs. small calibers. In field conditions.

Depth of penetration

Depth of animals vitals

IMG_9552.jpeg

Bullet Types.

Wound Channels caused by those bullets.

Wound channels from caliber and velocity.

Measured hit rates from people shooting larger calibers vs. small calibers. In field conditions.

Depth of penetration

Depth of animals vitals
So out of all those bigger gun wins in bigger wound channel, it wins further in distance, depth of penetration comes down too bullet but bigger guns will have more sectional density to get deeper only counter is impact from shooter which i find extremely hard to datalog. Way too many variables but again that is zero function of the gun and bullet. Its a tool it doesn’t know the monkey using it. Right tool right job learn to use it.

For me it was mind blowing . I never had a large cal till I got the 338 Allen Express . Yeah it's heavy but I can make one handed shots off a bipod and see through the scope better than I can with my 220 swift No 1 . Which would you say has more recoil ? Which would you say makes a bigger wound channel ? I know what I will be shooting elk with . The 7 wsm did a great job last time as you can see in my picture to the left .

I absolutely love this video, perfect example of someone knowing their equipment

Heart shot animal not going down immediately

Same can be said about this video

Taking out lungs or heart doesn't always end with immediate death, completely disrupting the central nervous system, turns it all off almost immediately.

I have shot enough deer to have made my fair share poor shots, luckily, I don't recall that I ever lost one, but I have had to do some serious searching to find some. I have completely whiffed, even on deer at less than 60yds.

In my experience deer shot in the crease or pocket are highly likely to run. They may be dead on their feet but they still run. Some 20 yards, some a 100 or more. Where I live and some of the places I hunt 20 yards is 20 yards to far. 100 yards might as well be a mile. With enough crawling, bleeding, and cussing you might find him. If that type situation is even remotely possible I'm shooting high shoulder or CNS and plenty of gun. I don't like having to hunt an animal after I shoot it. And if I do have to hunt it after I shoot it I want a good blood trail.