Votes: 60 9.4%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.0%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 206 32.3%

• Total voters
Has this happened yet? I sure don't wanna miss it....

No sir, Unfortunately I was a little on the lazy side this weekend & decided to work on my new UTV instead. :rolleyes:

We have another Friends of NRA committee meeting tonight, we'll see if I can get somer rounds loaded later in the week.

t

Thought you guys might have a little interest in a bullet we've been shooting this winter in a 6.5 Sherman, it's a 160 gr 6.5 VLD from Matrix. It's been very accurate and our early results have been very good, using a velocity of 3050 and a G1 of .720 seems to put us spot on on sub moa targets out to 1450 yards, nothing conclusive but we've gotten enough data from them to be exited about putting them on some elk at long range this season gun)

Thought you guys might have a little interest in a bullet we've been shooting this winter in a 6.5 Sherman, it's a 160 gr 6.5 VLD from Matrix. It's been very accurate and our early results have been very good, using a velocity of 3050 and a G1 of .720 seems to put us spot on on sub moa targets out to 1450 yards, nothing conclusive but we've gotten enough data from them to be exited about putting them on some elk at long range this season gun)

Oh yeah... sounds sweet.... what twist barrel?

Dad's Sherman is a 1-8 Pac nor, I should have the reamer soon for a 6.5 SS and it'll have a 1-8 twist 5R Benchmark.

Rhian.....the reamer should be here any day now according to what Kiff told me. I will call Whidden this week and see where he is with the dies but it looks like you will have an SS before me:rolleyes: I carry me prototype around in my pocket to dream over once in awhile:D.......Rich

Holy smokes. I was not aware this bullet existed. Were they a custom run or are they "off the shelf"?

Thanks for the heads up.

t

Give them a shout or email, I got a few to give them a try cause we have been searching for a 6.5 bullet that will excel for long range hunting elk and ELR shooting, they have an excellent 142gr as well.

What is a 6.5 Sherman? What brass are you using? What is the capacity (H2O). What powder and primers are you using? What is the length of the Bullet?

If you are going to tell us about your cartridge then do a reasonable job of it please.

What is a 6.5 Sherman? What brass are you using? What is the capacity (H2O). What powder and primers are you using? What is the length of the Bullet?

If you are going to tell us about your cartridge then do a reasonable job of it please.

I designed the 6.5 Sherman about 4-5 years ago when I burned the second barrel of my A.I. I was going to build a Gibbs but didn't like the very short neck. I was trying to get magnum velocity without going to a magnum case. I chose the 270W as a parent case and blew all but .010" taper out of the body, moved the shoulder farther forward than an A.I., but stayed with the 40 degree. The neck is a nice .300" and case capacity is approx. 75 grains H20. It is the ballistic twin of the Gibbs with a far better case design. It is right there with a WSM. I can get 3200+ with 140's in a 26" barrel but case life and accuracy are better around 3150'. I have around 1500 rounds through mine and it willstill shoot 1/2 moa. I think the long neck coupled with the 40 degree shoulder keep the flamepoint confined inside the neck better than many of the 6.5's. With the 160's at 3050 that Rhian was referring to, it is difficult to find anything that will shoot flatter or buck wind better .......rich
270 left Sherman on right DSCF0488.jpg

Hey Elkaholic,
You have made a perfect job with the 6.5 Sherman, maximising case capacity, functionality and ballistic performance.
Nice one :).

Regards Steve.

I have used mostly H1000 or Retumbo with cci BR-2 or F210 primers. The length of the 160 Matrix is 1.49", the 142 Matrix is 1.380". I use the same die setting for both bullets as the nose is the same, just a little longer for the heavy bullet.
Cliff

It's a good thing someone has pics to post, mine are on my phone which unfortunately has been MIA for a couple weeks now :rolleyes:

Before dad started shooting the 160 in his 6.5 I was able to out class it with the 165 Matrix from my 270 WSM but shooting them sided by side with this heavy 6.5 bullet he's holding less wind and the wind is not trashing them like many others, I hope the on game performance will be as good as the other bullets from Matrix has been!!

Hopefully they perform the same in the 6.5 SS, that kind of performance in a true short action chambering would be awesome!!

Recent Posts