Effective Game Killing

Any idea what impact velocity was? Goes to question of KE,
No idea, and I'm not sure how to calculate it.
@331Y (zero altitude, 2596 FPS MV per LR) = ~1841 FPS/2070 FT-LBS

IMG_5652.jpeg
…..and here's what your energy is coming out of the muzzle.

I got a chance to read the second part and it was an interesting article. Thanks again for posting Feenix. As I read the thread, I see we hit on heavy for caliber, velocity, spin rate, horsepower, torque and dead is dead, and physics.
I hit a deer with a very low horsepower Toyota with a four cylinder traveling at 60 MPH, and it was dead. Two years later I hit a deer with my extended cab Chevy K2500 doing 15 MPH and it was DRT with a broken neck. The Chevy had triple the horsepower of the Toyota and a lot more torque. That would make me think that larger caliber or heavy for caliber is best. Or it put me in the dead is dead group.
I am just a stupid mechanic, but I enjoyed reading the article in the original post.
Happy hunting to all of you, and have a great day.

EDIT; I forgot KE

I'm sorry, but at 931Y, my eyesight and hearing (especially with hearing protection) are not as good as yours. Thank God for my spotter, though.

I should qualify that I tend to shoot smaller cartridges with a suppressor so spotting my shots through the scope and not having to wear hearing protection makes both things much easier. That being said, I haven't had the opportunity to take a 931Y shot on game either, so I cannot definitively say that I would be able to do either on a shot that long.

I should qualify that I tend to shoot smaller cartridges with a suppressor so spotting my shots through the scope and not having to wear hearing protection makes both things much easier. That being said, I haven't had the opportunity to take a 931Y shot on game either, so I cannot definitively say that I would be able to do either on a shot that long.
With suppressed, I can see and hear the bullet impact at <200Y or so.

I know this can be controversial, esp. to the naysayers, because some do not believe in (kinetic) energy transfer and shock, but that's OK. These articles are for open-minded folks willing and able to learn and add to their knowledge base. IMHO, Nathan Foster of https://www.ballisticstudies.com/ effectively captured the interrelationships of:

- How bullets kill
- Mechanism > kinetic energy transfer (Newton's Law of Physics)
- Fast killing
- Hydrostatic/hydraulic shock
- Wound factors
- Bullet weight, diameter, construction
- Shot placement

Part 1, https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en...ted-hunting/ammunition/effective-game-killing

Part 2, https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en...ting/ammunition/effective-game-killing-part-2

I have his e-books and like his work. The only concern I have is that the uninitiated might conclude frangible bullets are best.

The only issue with that is what happens when you use one at short range and high muzzle velocity.

I prefer to have a good short range option at the top of my magazine, followed by my long range options as #2-N.

I figure if I need a sturdy bullet for a short-range follow-up shot, I should just pack up, go home and practice my shooting technique :)

I am willing to tradeoff the very short lived long range opportunity - if it takes too long to cycle round #1 in and out and be ready with a long range round, I should just pack up, go home and practice my shooting technique :)

Oh really. A dyno measures TORQUE.
Horsepower is a mathematical equation using torque and rpm to provide a fictional number. There is no such thing as horsepower.

Cheers.
P.S.
I am a qualified engine builder.
Torque is rotational force thru a distance (work). Horsepower is the RATE at which work is done.

Try racing two vehicles of equal weight and engines both with 400ft-lbs of torque…..BUT one with 600Hp (high perf car) vs one with 150HP (tractor). I know which one will win 😉😎

Like memtb says about the 60,s. They were saying very much the same thing. But the bullets were Nosler partitions and Remington Corelock. Target bullets were taboo for anything bigger than a coyote.