Effective Game Killing

Any idea what impact velocity was? Goes to question of KE,
No idea, and I'm not sure how to calculate it.
@331Y (zero altitude, 2596 FPS MV per LR) = ~1841 FPS/2070 FT-LBS

IMG_5652.jpeg
…..and here's what your energy is coming out of the muzzle.

I got a chance to read the second part and it was an interesting article. Thanks again for posting Feenix. As I read the thread, I see we hit on heavy for caliber, velocity, spin rate, horsepower, torque and dead is dead, and physics.
I hit a deer with a very low horsepower Toyota with a four cylinder traveling at 60 MPH, and it was dead. Two years later I hit a deer with my extended cab Chevy K2500 doing 15 MPH and it was DRT with a broken neck. The Chevy had triple the horsepower of the Toyota and a lot more torque. That would make me think that larger caliber or heavy for caliber is best. Or it put me in the dead is dead group.
I am just a stupid mechanic, but I enjoyed reading the article in the original post.
Happy hunting to all of you, and have a great day.

EDIT; I forgot KE

I'm sorry, but at 931Y, my eyesight and hearing (especially with hearing protection) are not as good as yours. Thank God for my spotter, though.

I should qualify that I tend to shoot smaller cartridges with a suppressor so spotting my shots through the scope and not having to wear hearing protection makes both things much easier. That being said, I haven't had the opportunity to take a 931Y shot on game either, so I cannot definitively say that I would be able to do either on a shot that long.

I should qualify that I tend to shoot smaller cartridges with a suppressor so spotting my shots through the scope and not having to wear hearing protection makes both things much easier. That being said, I haven't had the opportunity to take a 931Y shot on game either, so I cannot definitively say that I would be able to do either on a shot that long.
With suppressed, I can see and hear the bullet impact at <200Y or so.

Recent Posts