EBR7C MOA or MRAD?

I have both types regardless of reticle or brand from .05-.2mil and .125-.5moa. Play with it and get too know your optic. I don't have a rangefinder that does mil, but can-do conversions mentally.

No I have the round numbers out to 1000,I also use my 2400AB.But its stuck in my head and Ive been shooting same rifle for 15 years,Im not going to have a hard time.700 yrds on a elk is like a chip shot.Everyone tries to make this harder than it is was shooting elk at distance 20 years ago with 340 wby, ya it not really that hard.Ive leaned up against a mtn maple and shot them at 800 with out lazer or anything that is around now.Ive hunted many ridges for 30 years and know the distances.I just stick with what I know.

So you memorize all your drops at any given elevation and temp or you use a ballistic calculating rangefinder to give you drops and real time dopes at any given elevation and temp?

I use a laser with AB in it .And I have shot elk,muleys and bears in the same area for years.What im saying is knowing your equipment and skills trumps having it memorized, but I have had no problem connecting on game with out all the gadgets as I know many ridges by heart and shoot from hides I've had .Also shot them at extreme angles to back when with just a ACI. I shoot a large 338 with great BC.90 percent of time temps are similar where I hunt.What im trying to say is if I need to make a quick shot on a bull at 800 yrds real high percentage he's done.And I was doing this before all the great gear we have now.I shot many back when with a simple BDC reticle to 600 with a 300 zero, thats not really long range to me.Varies for person and skill set.I have my drops written and or etched into my rings are whatever I can fit on also, plus a range card to 1500.

Last edited:
Copym
I use a laser with AB in it .And I have shot elk,muleys and bears in the same area for years.What im saying is knowing your equipment and skills trumps having it memorized, but I have had no problem connecting on game with out all the gadgets as I know many ridges by heart and shoot from hides I've had .Also shot them at extreme angles to back when with just a ACI. I shoot a large 338 with great BC.90 percent of time temps are similar where I hunt.What im trying to say is if I need to make a quick shot on a bull at 800 yrds real high percentage he's done.And I was doing this before all the great gear we have now.I shot many back when with a simple BDC reticle to 600 with a 300 zero, thats not really long range to me.Varies for person and skill set.I have my drops written and or etched into my rings are whatever I can fit on also, plus a range card to 1500.
Copy, understood. That works great for someone who hunts the same spots all the time!! I know my gear just as good as the next guy but guessing drops or memorizing them might not work out that well for a person who has points in 9-10 different states for tags in aug-december at elevations from 2k-11k. You'd call me rain man if I could memorize all that 😆😆😆😆
But ya in my home state my charts are essentially the same from year to year!

I have gotten around some, and to other continents.I use to run a drop dial I made myself for quicker set ups on my 338NM, no different than a Gunwerks set up.But yes not as exact, I ran a terrapin back then and a ACI.That was the tech.Now I dial drop 90 percent or just hold if time constraint.I shot a hand full of bulls ID,also as its not far for me,panhandle, but then wolfs hit it hard .And it is big steep country and almost all is uphill pack as they live down in the dark holes mostly

Because you don't need to use centimeters. I've never measure anything with centimeters in the military….

Mils are mils. Moa is moa. They are not linear math. While we associate stuff with linear math, it's not required and it's rather an amateur way of thinking. If that's offensive, then sorry but it is what it is..

.3 is .3 mils. .25 moa is .25 moa.
You do not need to know the per inch conversion.
If you do then it's .36 per tenth at 100. Or convert it to moa by multiplying by 3.428. We use to do that when calls were in mils but turrets where in moa back in the day. Military genius. Theres really no need for this anymore.

The only real benefit is quick wind for those that know how to do it. Some people call it the MPH method.

-You would measure a prairie dog in mils. Hopefully not for ranging…
-When you zero, you measure your correction in mils.

It's rather the same in MOA.
From a practical shooter standpoint, I'm using the reticle and working within my angle of measurement. Which ever it is.
That's all well and good. All I'm saying is, if I have an 8" ground squirrel showing 2 MOA in the reticle, I know he's about 400 yards away. Which comes in handy sometimes as they are hard targets to range if they're not on a mound or something. And I don't consider that too amateurish.

if everyone just stuck with moa because "that's how their brains work"

Then nobody would know how to shoot MRAD…
Kudos for anyone that gets out there and learns new tricks..
These statements are rather irrelevant to anything discussed. Not "everyone" is sticking with MOA so that really makes no sense. Nobody is getting kudos for using a different measuring system than someone else. It's as simple as choosing whatever one you prefer. If that "offends you I'm sorry but it's true"
It's completely OK if you prefer one over the other.

Last edited:
That's all well and good. All I'm saying is, if I have an 8" ground squirrel showing 2 MOA in the reticle, I know he's about 400 yards away. Which comes in handy sometimes as they are hard targets to range if they're not on a mound or something. And I don't consider that too amateurish.
I don't consider that any more accurate than using a range finder. I understand your point, but it's a legacy skill that was always flawed with compounding error. Even back when I carried a little book of DA and common sizes on me.

If you have the time and ability to accurate range in the reticle, you have the ability to shoot a laser…
The issue is, how do you know you have a 8'inch ground squirrel …did you take a tape measure to it?

If the squirl is off measurement by 1 inch… and it's still 2 moa in the reticle? Now you're off by 50 yards on dope. On a target that's rather small…. Maybe your trajectory can over come that…but that doesn't suit as a general rule in practice…

I don't consider that any more accurate than using a range finder. I understand your point, but it's a legacy skill that was always flawed with compounding error. Even back when I carried a little book of DA and common sizes on me.

If you have the time and ability to accurate range in the reticle, you have the ability to shoot a laser…
The issue is, how do you know you have a 8'inch ground squirrel …did you take a tape measure to it?

If the squirl is off measurement by 1 inch… and it's still 2 moa in the reticle? Now you're off by 50 yards on dope. On a target that's rather small…. Maybe your trajectory can over come that…but that doesn't suit as a general rule in practice…
Do shoot many ground squirrels do ya.

These statements are rather irrelevant to anything discussed. It really makes no sense. Nobody is getting kudos for using a different measuring system than someone else. It's as simple as choosing whatever one you prefer. If that "offends you I'm sorry but it's true"
It's completely OK if you prefer one over the other.
Man, you been marinading on that all day…I saw your comment, and chose to leave it alone. No one is saying a one is better than the other…

Just like the 4 season backpacking thread, your comprehension is lacking…

What I IS relevant to the topic. A lot of people, in case you haven't been reading, refuse to get out of the inch mentality, as if it was useful to moa. A lot of advice is "stick with what you got" "stick with what you know." Nothing wrong with doing that but…

…why are you so booty tickled about me supporting people learning something different?

Man, you been marinading on that all day…I saw your comment, and chose to leave it alone. No one is saying a one is better than the other…

Just like the 4 season backpacking thread, your comprehension is lacking…

What I IS relevant to the topic. A lot of people, in case you haven't been reading, refuse to get out of the inch mentality, as if it was useful to moa. A lot of advice is "stick with what you got" "stick with what you know." Nothing wrong with doing that but…

…why are you so booty tickled about me supporting people learning something different?
Haha what are you talking about buddy. There are no "tricks" involved with preferring MIL over MOA. Are your tape measures metric or American. If they are than you should switch and learn the new trick of measuring. It turns out they end product is the same. No tricks at all really.

Haha what are you talking about buddy. There are no "tricks" involved with preferring MIL over MOA. Are your tape measures metric or American. If they are than you should switch and learn the new trick of measuring. It turns out the end product is the same. No tricks at all really.
I have…bro, you think military maps are in miles?
Yes. I have used millimeter tape measures. I do practice what I preach…

Not sure what tricks you referring to..and again, no one is saying one is better than the other….
There is nothing wrong with learning something else. You're hard pressed to change my mind..

Though, again, there is a "trick" to wind with mrad…you can do it in moa, but not fast…at least I can't.

For the reference to "tricks" you can refer to your own post #23. Relax man, no one is trying to change your mind. But switching between metric or standard is hardly a mental exercise worth expending for the sake of practice and the price of buying all new scopes. Mils works for some moa works for others. If you like the confusing ( to some) idea of mils greats. Other will stick with the non confusing (to some)way of MOA. You can't dope wind as fast with MOA, that's fine, stick with Mils. I'll be hitting the center with MOA while you're still figuring it out with either😆😆😆😆

Last edited: